[PRO] Barossa | Oscar Seppeltsfield | 12 Levels

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

[PRO] Re: Barossa | Oscar Seppeltsfield | 12 Levels

#16 Post by NTRabbit » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:44 pm

GrowAdelaide wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:49 pm
Very much modelled on a wine decanter. I think its bold and beautiful and should be built.
I was thinking the same thing

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Nort » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:05 am

Nort wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:48 am
I quite like it, so long as it isn't too obtrusive on the views from other wineries around there.
We were in the Barossa recently visiting some local wineries. There seems to be a lot of push back against this project where they are all happy with the idea of a high quality hotel in the area, but the current proposal will stand out in the views from so many nearby wineries who market their tranquil views.

Tricky situation.

PeFe

#18 Post by PeFe » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:43 pm

Hasn't the Cube brought extra attention and tourists (which of course means more money) to the McLaren Vale wine region?

I think the Worm should be built.....why do people think that cookie-cutter inoffensive buildings that make up the upmarket accomodation and eating offerings in the Barossa make the aesthetic "better"?

Time to get out of your comfort zone Barossa people in this post-pandemic tourist restricted world.

Nort

#19 Post by Nort » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:38 pm

PeFe wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:43 pm
Hasn't the Cube brought extra attention and tourists (which of course means more money) to the McLaren Vale wine region?

I think the Worm should be built.....why do people think that cookie-cutter inoffensive buildings that make up the upmarket accomodation and eating offerings in the Barossa make the aesthetic "better"?

Time to get out of your comfort zone Barossa people in this post-pandemic tourist restricted world.
The Cube is interesting but it's also different in that it is a much smaller structure. Also even before the pandemic it didn't bring them the business they wanted.

It's all well and good to tell them to get out of their comfort zone, but if it also makes many of the tourists who traditionally visit their businesses less comfortable then that's a big deal.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by SRW » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:50 pm

Aunty had an article about it:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-02/ ... t/12618826

Locals are trying to get the development reclassified at the ERD Court so it has to go to public consultation. Council supports it.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#21 Post by rev » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:35 pm

Someone proposes something unique and that would become an iconic structure and major draw card, and they cry and scream they don't want it. But they'll then be the first to complain that not enough South Aussies visit their region or that government should do more to support local tourism and businesses.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by how good is he » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:44 pm

I think that’s the question, whether it is/will become an iconic structure. It’s a very subjective question. Also it’s based on a render and the actual could vary greatly (better or worse). Not sure who the architect is. Possibly if they were using say an internationally recognised company it may give some comfort. Possibly they should consider putting up a few different options, possibly an international design competition and let the public vote/decide?

Nort

#23 Post by Nort » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:44 am

rev wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:35 pm
Someone proposes something unique and that would become an iconic structure and major draw card, and they cry and scream they don't want it. But they'll then be the first to complain that not enough South Aussies visit their region or that government should do more to support local tourism and businesses.
Which of the local businesses that are concerned have you spoken to in order to reach those conclusions? It's perfectly ok (and indeed one of the jobs of local councils) to say no to a development if it's going to be harmful to the greater community.

I've been there and chatted to staff at the nearby wineries. They are all in favour of developments that increase attention on the region and don't want to be a sleepy backwater, they are worried about development which erodes the main reasons that people visit in the first place. Show the research to say it won't and most of them seemed like they would be totally happy with the development.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by mattblack » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:42 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:44 am
rev wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:35 pm
Which of the local businesses that are concerned have you spoken to in order to reach those conclusions? It's perfectly ok (and indeed one of the jobs of local councils) to say no to a development if it's going to be harmful to the greater community.

I've been there and chatted to staff at the nearby wineries. They are all in favour of developments that increase attention on the region and don't want to be a sleepy backwater, they are worried about development which erodes the main reasons that people visit in the first place. Show the research to say it won't and most of them seemed like they would be totally happy with the development.
I work up there and I call tell you there is a significant amount of community concern. It's a very traditional area with ideas of what the Barossa is stretching back generations. Very hard to change that mind set.

BTW it is not Council's roll to say no to development that could be harmful to the greater community. They are not in the business of choosing winners. They must assess developments against what has been legislated in Development Plans, one of the reasons that the new planning code will be so interesting is that it does away with these documents.

I personally think its great.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Will » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:02 am

This was approved as per The Advertiser

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:16 pm

I can't post this because it's paywalled, but looks like rich NIMBYs win again: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... nt-1-SCORE

Nathan

#27 Post by Nathan » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:44 pm

Not about the Seppeltsfield proposal, but the hotel proposal in Tanunda.