Sporting facility or Hospital???

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Sporting facility or Hospital???

#91 Post by Ho Really » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:01 pm

stelaras wrote:
jimmy_2486 wrote: But no, I think people are more interested in turning adelaide oval into the ancient Greek Parthenon, along with many other old structures that will turn Adelaide into a modern style ancient ruin.
Whats wrong with the Parthenon??? Millions of people visit that each year and pay to get in!
I've been to the Acropolis in Athens too, and had to pay, but it was worth it. If Adelaide Oval can generate revenue all year, maybe we should leave it as is. I do have reservations about that ugly Bradman Stand though.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#92 Post by rhino » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:13 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the main reason there are not more sporting fixtures at the Adelaide Oval was SACA. It's a great venue for cricket and concerts. I guess it's not in the interests of the SANFL teams to hold matches there rather than their home grounds, but a few years ago when Sturt was looking at playing home games there, didn't SACA turn them down?
cheers,
Rhino

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#93 Post by Paulns » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:18 pm

JBTW we can be proud of the Adelaide oval for the beautiful place it is now.
But in saying that I totally agree with the decision to upgrade the western stands which are a bit out dated. Other than that though the AO is an awesome ground to watch cricket on a hot summers night and watch the good old local footy during the winter.

What I mean about having something to be proud of is, something thats new and modern that can bring more than just AFL close to the city.

Also, of course AAMI stadium gets more exposure than the Adelaide oval, the SANFL claim they'll never let AFL be played there. Therefore I think the best option for all is to build a new multi purpose stadium close to the city (maybe on the old rail yard site?)
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Dave_The_Planner
Gold-Member ;)

#94 Post by Dave_The_Planner » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:31 pm

The main hurdle in building a new sporting stadium (for AFL) in or near the city is that the SANFL owns the licenses for both local teams. Without the support of the SANFL, football will never be played outside of Football Park (AAMI Stadium).

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#95 Post by Paulns » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:43 am

The SANFL would be stupid not to support it. I mean with all the developments over at the Port and in the West Lakes area, they'd have to expect to fetch a pretty good price for all that land.
Anyway with also government and maybe private business support a brand new stadium in the city and in a more convenient location for all Adelaideans would hopefully bring more people to games and not only that but other events/concerts there as well. :D
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#96 Post by stelaras » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:29 am

Dave_The_Planner wrote:The main hurdle in building a new sporting stadium (for AFL) in or near the city is that the SANFL owns the licenses for both local teams. Without the support of the SANFL, football will never be played outside of Football Park (AAMI Stadium).
see my post on AAMI stadium redevelopment