Sporting facility or Hospital???

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Sporting facility or Hospital???

#31 Post by Howie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:09 pm

hey if amanda blair can have a party then so could we :)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by Will » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:49 pm

momentkiller wrote:will it now be called the Will Hospital?
I am studying Medical Science at uni, so yes, I think it is reasonable that the hopsital be named after me. 8)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by crawf » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:34 am

Cruise_Control wrote:Crawf's job can be to stick election posters on stobie poles......
joking, joking
lol....nah I'll be the minster for Tourism and Regional SA thanks :D

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#34 Post by Shuz » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:36 am

So has any more news been heard about Goverment plans with the site?
Any Opposition backlash? community support? or let me guess, they're doing it behind the scenes again.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by crawf » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:53 am

The Government hasn't got anything to do with it, its currently owned by Clipsal

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by Paulns » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:43 pm

Definently a Sporting facility!!!!! Come on people just look at Brisbane's, The Gabba, Melbourne's MCG and Telstra dome, Sydneys SCG, all these world class cities have a world class sporting/entertainment facility on the door steps to their cities.
Sure Adelaide's got the beautiful Adelaide oval but, seriously if the SANFL wont play the game, so to speak, and allow AFL to be played there and if we seriously want to consider hosting major international events such as the Commonwealth Games than we have to consider such, (which may seem now) a revolutionary idea as this for the future benefit of our great state.
Football Park, like Waverley Park in Melbourne was a relic of the 70's and any work done on Footy Park now is mearly patch up and only a short term fix to a long term problem. In Melbourne they saw the light, made the decision and elected to build new rather than fix the old and now look at the results. A world class facility in the heart of the city located just outside of Spencer street station which pretty much serves not only Melbourne but the whole of Victoria too.
A staduim on the old railway site has the potential to do exactly the same for Adelaide...
I've lived in Melbourne and Sydney and have been one of those people that have walked straight out of the stadium and into the city, for anyone that hasn't travelled east, I'm telling you the atmosphere is absolutly awesome. To walk the streets even in Sydney which isnt even a tradional AFL place, after a Swannies win is excellent. Just think how many of the 40,000 people who attend a Crows game would love to finish the night off in the city??? Even if it was only 10,000, thats 10,000 people that might of other wise just gone home. The entire city then benefits, shops stay open, clubs and pubs fill with people and the city comes alive!
I agree with the above comments, hospitals are depressing places that dont really bring much benefit to the city and a much more suitable location would be the Hindmarsh area, near the city but not, so to speak..
Again with air emergency helicopters who has the right of way, a 747 carring a full load of passingers or a Rescure one helicopter carrying a critically ill patient??
Clearly the proposed site for the new hospital is not a adequate and a muilt purpose sporting facility would be much more appropriate.....
Last edited by Paulns on Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:33 am

Lol....hes right with the night life being in the city after the game.....id rather go to the city than hungry jacks west lakes. hehe.

In terms of heritage listings as to why we cant redo adelaide oval. Is the MCG or the SCG older than adelaide oval? I mean why arnt they heritage listed if they are so monumental? I think MCG has more history behind it than adelaide oval, but they have redeveloped EVERYTHING!! The SCG is undergoing redevelopment as we speak!

I think we are over this heritage shit, seriously who gives a rats toss about heritage. Structures should be made to be useful, not to be friggin antiques we cant touch or do anything to.

Adelaide oval could be made into something spectacular if we really wanted to.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#38 Post by Cruise » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:21 am

jimmy_2486 wrote:Lol....hes right with the night life being in the city after the game.....id rather go to the city than hungry jacks west lakes. hehe.

In terms of heritage listings as to why we cant redo adelaide oval. Is the MCG or the SCG older than adelaide oval? I mean why arnt they heritage listed if they are so monumental? I think MCG has more history behind it than adelaide oval, but they have redeveloped EVERYTHING!! The SCG is undergoing redevelopment as we speak!

I think we are over this heritage shit, seriously who gives a rats toss about heritage. Structures should be made to be useful, not to be friggin antiques we cant touch or do anything to.

Adelaide oval could be made into something spectacular if we really wanted to.

I thought only the scoreboard was heritage listed, As it should be.

But i have the same vision jimmy, get rid of Football park and develop Adelaide Oval to the same capacity. If you build a stand on the hill and replace a lot of the grassed areas around the oval with seating a 50 to 55,000 seat arena is easily attainable. Thats including the the proposed new stand on the west side with that sexy glass roof it will have (that alone will bring the number of seats to 38,000)

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#39 Post by Cruise » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:43 am

and you could run a tram to Adelaide Oval :D

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by stelaras » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:21 pm

Cruise Control wrote:
These are the Heritage listed items at the Adelaide Oval:

The western public and members grandstands and the famous scoreboard are all items listed on the City of Adelaide Heritage Register

This is why Adelaide oval can be nothing more than it is today!

We need a new Multi-Function Stadium in the heart of the city...end of story

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:54 pm

stelaras wrote:
Cruise Control wrote:

The western public and members grandstands and the famous scoreboard are all items listed on the City of Adelaide Heritage Register

As it should be. It would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, in my view, to redevelop/replace Adelaide Oval with a modern facility.
Keep Adelaide Weird

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by stelaras » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:31 pm

SRW wrote:
stelaras wrote:
Cruise Control wrote:

As it should be. It would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, in my view, to redevelop/replace Adelaide Oval with a modern facility.

considering that half the oval grandstands are heritage listed, the Adelaide oval can not be touched (renovated/removed/replaced) unless it gets removed from heritage listing and since it has been an oval and home of cricket in SA since 1877 i doubt that will happen. So Adelaide oval will be home of all things cricket.

We can/should build a multi-purpose stadium over our railyards and do away with Football Park. There is a small concern about car parking but lets worry about that when someone indeed wants to put a stadium there!

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#43 Post by Paulns » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:47 pm

What problem with parking??? Just do what they did in Melbourne with the Docklands stadium (Telstra Dome) and put the parking under the stadium!!!!!
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#44 Post by AtD » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:41 pm

Not to mention the state's biggest and busiest rail station would be a short walk away, along with half the bus fleet. Parking? Why park?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#45 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:14 pm

Call me a NIMBY but I am totally against the Adelaide Oval being turned into a MCG style stadium. Its one of the most pictureque cricket grounds in the world and the backdrop of the city skyline and St Peters is just stunning - why would we want to lose that?

Though I support the current $70m redevelopment, as the facilities do need a upgrade and a multi-purpose stadium near the city.
Last edited by crawf on Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.