Sporting facility or Hospital???

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Sporting facility or Hospital???

#76 Post by rhino » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:06 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote: The last test match played there was sold out months in advance. One day internationals are regularly sold out
The seats are sold out, but you can still get in, sure you'll be crowded, but that's part of the enjoyment of going to the oval IMO. I turn up on the day and get in, I love the atmosphere.
cheers,
Rhino

urban
Legendary Member!

#77 Post by urban » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:26 pm

heritage listing does not mean that a building can not be changed. It just means that any new work must allow the elements of a building which give it it's significance must retain their integrity. Designs for extensions of the heritage listed western stands at Adelaide Oval are currently underway. The concept design has already been approved. Heritage buildings are regularly adapted for re-use, the art gallery, museum and library have all been sensitively modernised. The Town Hall and adjacent State Heritage listed buildings in Mt Gambier were recently extended and joined together. Heritage work requires greater creativity than new projects which is why they are too often ignored in Adelaide where the option requiring least thought is usually taken.

The problem with Adelaide Oval is that they refused to accommodate the SANFL in the 70's forcing the SANFL to build the disastrously located Football Park. Since then AO has not had sufficient events to warrant increasing the capacity or improving the facilities to meet modern expectations. Now because the facilities are outdated they can not attract alternative sports events. Turf wars between cricket and tennis have also prevented an integrated approach to developments for the entire area meaning each association has developed their own facilities when the costs could have been shared with the savings used to improve other facilities.

The Bradman stand was a missed opportunity because of it's extraordinarily limited capacity. It is also a shame the Chappel stands weren't bigger.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#78 Post by Cruise » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:30 pm

even rebuilding the chapel stands would be cheaper then a new stadium right now

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#79 Post by stelaras » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:48 pm

urban wrote:heritage listing does not mean that a building can not be changed. It just means that any new work must allow the elements of a building which give it it's significance must retain their integrity. Designs for extensions of the heritage listed western stands at Adelaide Oval are currently underway. The concept design has already been approved. Heritage buildings are regularly adapted for re-use, the art gallery, museum and library have all been sensitively modernised. The Town Hall and adjacent State Heritage listed buildings in Mt Gambier were recently extended and joined together. Heritage work requires greater creativity than new projects which is why they are too often ignored in Adelaide where the option requiring least thought is usually taken.

The problem with Adelaide Oval is that they refused to accommodate the SANFL in the 70's forcing the SANFL to build the disastrously located Football Park. Since then AO has not had sufficient events to warrant increasing the capacity or improving the facilities to meet modern expectations. Now because the facilities are outdated they can not attract alternative sports events. Turf wars between cricket and tennis have also prevented an integrated approach to developments for the entire area meaning each association has developed their own facilities when the costs could have been shared with the savings used to improve other facilities.

The Bradman stand was a missed opportunity because of it's extraordinarily limited capacity. It is also a shame the Chappel stands weren't bigger.

Thats interesting are you ceratin about heritage listing and changes to heritage listed buildings or does it vary depending on what the building is. I say this because i have been involved in two situations where i have been refused changes because of heritage listing. First scenario was in the old wool collection buildings on Adam St in Hindmarsh, One aspect of the building is heritage listed and we were not allowed to redevelop even though we were very careful with developing and creating plans that took into account the heritage listing.

The second situation is where a now elderly wheelchair bound man was not allowed to redeveop his heritage listed home to put in place ramps so that he can get into and out of his home. I am not involved there anymore, but as i understand it 7 years later and he still can not get approval to renovate his own home to accomodate his disability

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#80 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:46 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:I think what makes Adelaide oval so picturesque is because of its location and its surroundings, the stadium is just a few stands and a grass patch which looks no different to say glenelg oval, and unley oval, etc.

However no dought if adelaide oval were to change it would look shit. Because the grass patches and those stands looks soo good.
What looks good? The eastern stand is hideous and the Bradman Stand not much better.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#81 Post by Paulns » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:38 pm

Jimmy what the hell are you going on about? Quit now mate, you obviously have no idea, maybe your one of those people that have never travelled outside of Adelaide!!! If you had then maybe you'd understand the arguement for a NEW stadium, not another one......
Theres many options that could be opened for the buliding to commence, the land at west lakes would be sold off, the state government could enter into a public/private partnership, and or the state gov could and more than likely would seek a Federal Government grant as this would be a major asset, (not liability) for the STATE...
If we're ever going to stem the flow of young people leaving SA, then we sure as hell have to start giving them a real reason to stay because otherwise this state is really going to start going backwards.
The Adelaide oval is not what I'd call a (modern) stadium. Its a heritage listed cricket/football ground, owned by the Adelaide city council. It doesn't even look like a proper stadium!!! It has heritage and history that cant be built or replaced thats why its an icon and thats why its heritage listed.
To answer your question as to why they can redevelop the MCG, well the simple answer is, Melbourne isnt full of people thats against anything progressive for their city. Why so you think we lose so many events to the eastern states? Its because they can offer more and better. Cant you see, we have to bulid more and better to make, or at the very least, keep Adelaide on a close level playing field with other capital cities. Otherwise we'll just continue to lose out and be ignored by the rest of the country. SOMETHING THAT I'M VERY SICK OF.....
So I dont mean to be personal and I'm very sorry if I've offended anyone, but im starting to get sick of people with negetive attiudes that are against anything which has the potential to improve the crappy facilities we have now. We can't wait for things to happen, we have to start making things happen... A classic example is the Victoria Park redevelopment. What a joke... In any other city, the stand would have been built by now, but not here, oh no, theres always gotta be some people that have to whinge and whine and hence today we have nothing, achieved nothing and alas our state once again fails to progress..
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

urban
Legendary Member!

#82 Post by urban » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:48 pm

Stelaras it is disappointing to hear the troubles you have had. I have worked on 10 - 15 Local and State Heritage places or places in historic conservation zones and have had very little trouble with getting work approved. The most trouble comes where the planner has little or no training in heritage matters and isn't prepared to compromise for fear of doing something wrong. The easiest projects have been where council employs a heritage adviser. In those circumstances I speak to the heritage adviser before doing any work to find out all the issues before starting the design.

Most of the projects I have worked on have been pretty adventurous too because I am not interested in doing replica work. For me old is old and should be treated with respect but the new work should have its own identity. Surely a heritage building is better off if it is slightly modified but has an active use which ensures the building is maintained.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#83 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:15 pm

Paulns wrote:Jimmy what the hell are you going on about? Quit now mate, you obviously have no idea, maybe your one of those people that have never travelled outside of Adelaide!!! If you had then maybe you'd understand the arguement for a NEW stadium, not another one......
Theres many options that could be opened for the buliding to commence, the land at west lakes would be sold off, the state government could enter into a public/private partnership, and or the state gov could and more than likely would seek a Federal Government grant as this would be a major asset, (not liability) for the STATE...
If we're ever going to stem the flow of young people leaving SA, then we sure as hell have to start giving them a real reason to stay because otherwise this state is really going to start going backwards.
The Adelaide oval is not what I'd call a (modern) stadium. Its a heritage listed cricket/football ground, owned by the Adelaide city council. It doesn't even look like a proper stadium!!! It has heritage and history that cant be built or replaced thats why its an icon and thats why its heritage listed.
To answer your question as to why they can redevelop the MCG, well the simple answer is, Melbourne isnt full of people thats against anything progressive for their city. Why so you think we lose so many events to the eastern states? Its because they can offer more and better. Cant you see, we have to bulid more and better to make, or at the very least, keep Adelaide on a close level playing field with other capital cities. Otherwise we'll just continue to lose out and be ignored by the rest of the country. SOMETHING THAT I'M VERY SICK OF.....
So I dont mean to be personal and I'm very sorry if I've offended anyone, but im starting to get sick of people with negetive attiudes that are against anything which has the potential to improve the crappy facilities we have now. We can't wait for things to happen, we have to start making things happen... A classic example is the Victoria Park redevelopment. What a joke... In any other city, the stand would have been built by now, but not here, oh no, theres always gotta be some people that have to whinge and whine and hence today we have nothing, achieved nothing and alas our state once again fails to progress..
Don't worry, I have the EXACT same views as you would. And it pisses me off, the fact that we have a negative attitude of taking THAT BIG RISK, that every other major city here has done. Hence why they friggin heritage list every single structure we have here. eg port adelaide! OH NO!!! please developers, don't change our city!! it will look different and we don't want that!!.....that is the attitude of many NIMBYS.

Thing is, I believe if we were to build a new stadium, we MUST do it right. No compromises.

Saying that, There is no better location for a MEGA stadium than where Adelaide oval is, shits all over any of the locations that everyone else has mentioned here IMO.

There will be nothing wrong with making it a 55000 capacity stadium. The city views with a new AO in the background will still look beautiful, probably better IMO. And I believe it will become an even greater tourist attraction.

Building a new stadium anywhere else in the parklands, or bowden, is good, but not AS GOOD as doing it where AO is. We could have an AO monument tour of the old oval like at the MCG....and people will ACTUALLY go to it if we start putting AFL games there and that.

But no, I think people are more interested in turning adelaide oval into the ancient Greek Parthenon, along with many other old structures that will turn Adelaide into a modern style ancient ruin.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#84 Post by Paulns » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:27 pm

Fair call mate,
I agree, to much seems to be heritage listed.

Take for example the Sydney Opera house, it was greeted with so much skeptism when it was built. Everyone back then had something to whinge about it. But now look, its not only a Sydney and indeed an Australian icon, but a world icon too!!! All I want is for Adelaide to have something to be proud of too.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#85 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:43 pm

Paulns wrote:Fair call mate,
I agree, to much seems to be heritage listed.

Take for example the Sydney Opera house, it was greeted with so much skeptism when it was built. Everyone back then had something to whinge about it. But now look, its not only a Sydney and indeed an Australian icon, but a world icon too!!! All I want is for Adelaide to have something to be proud of too.
Well how can we be proud of AO when AAMI receives much more exposure?? If thats what ur stating.

AO has the potential to be our monumental icon like the MCG is to Melbourne....

And it will still keep its beauty IMO, and id like to see someone actually get a view of adelaide showing AO, and stick in say...Telstra Dome... for example to see what the view would look like if AO got upgraded. Would be interesting to see the effect. It would have a great mixture of modern architecture and beauty.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#86 Post by Shuz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:55 pm

I think AO has been fucked up since they built those god-awful grandstands on the eastern side. I liked it in its early 90's glory where there was lush green grass on the eastern flank, picturesquely complimented with the old scoreboard on the hill and the view of the Cathedral, even the Bradman stand is an awful blot on the Oval's landscape, along with the whole Memorial Park Tennis centre project. If anything, no capacity upgrade of the Oval should be undertaken, the Bradman stand demolished and replaced with a modern grandstand that could flip over (on an axis) for the tennis court matches.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#87 Post by jk1237 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:44 pm

Huh, I think the Chapel Stands on the eastside look great. The roof is unique, well, similar to Lords

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#88 Post by bmw boy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:44 pm

I also think theyre good, they dont have a dominating presance..

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#89 Post by Bulldozer » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:12 am

I didn't like them at first, but I have to admit they are pretty good and really do give it that "carnival" feel. As long as they keep a heap of grass around it's all good. It would be a terrible loss to "modernise" Adelaide Oval. It has to be the most beautiful sporting ground in the world. It is most definitely not a stadium, it's a liesurely ground where you laze about on a hot summers day watching the cricket and getting tanked. It used to get packed for footy matches as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for replacing Footy Park with something more modern and amenable that's closer to the city, but Adelaide Oval is without a doubt an icon of South Australia as it is renowned around the world and its character should be preserved no matter what.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#90 Post by stelaras » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:26 am

jimmy_2486 wrote: But no, I think people are more interested in turning adelaide oval into the ancient Greek Parthenon, along with many other old structures that will turn Adelaide into a modern style ancient ruin.
Whats wrong with the Parthenon??? Millions of people visit that each year and pay to get in!