The state of Goodwood Road

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
urban
Legendary Member!

Re: The state of Goodwood Road

#16 Post by urban » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:47 am

JK1237 is right we need to stop our inner suburbs being destroyed by traffic.

In addition to a transport interchange opposite flinders uni perhaps a park & ride could be constructed under the Cumberland Park Woolies car park. From Cross Rd to the city could then be 1 bus lane & 1 vehicle lane in each direction during peak hour. The bus lanes could revert to parking at non-peak times.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by AG » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:24 pm

ac
normangerman wrote:To drive to work, I have to drive up Unley Road on some weekends during the day, and it's such a hassle weaving through the parked cars and right-turning cars. Hell, it's dangerous. The same could be said about Goodwood Road. I would support a 24/7 Clearway on both roads.

While we are on roads, has anyone else seen the huge cracks in the road on the Keswick Bridge? I think they should resurface this patch ASAP, you would think the bridge is going to collapse at any moment now.
The Keswick Bridge is an ancient piece of infrastructure that was completed in the late 1930s for the construction of Anzac Highway. It certainly wasn't designed to withstand the force of as much traffic that passes over it today, particularly since not just one, but two roads pass over the bridge. The large cracks in the road are probably more of a result of sudden expansions and compressions in the structural members of the bridge causing slight changes in the shape of the bridge due to the weather. There was a scare of this sort on the Riverside Expressway in Brisbane when they noticed large cracks in the road surface, but it wasn't significant structural problems. Would be interesting to see how a replacement would be constructed without stopping traffic.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:44 pm

Yep on road carparking should be banned on Goodwood, Unley and Glen Osmond Roads. While I've always known Goodwood Road is a shocker and Glen Osmond Rd is pretty bad aswell, I thought Unley Road has been improved?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by AtD » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:52 pm

II agree with K1237 and urban. Keep the parking, lower the speed limit. Cars choke the area and scare away pedestrians with their noise. Funnel a decent amount of money into PT, for once.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by bmw boy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:42 pm

Heres and idea... it shud be made a 40 area... that shud fix the traffic woes :roll:

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:55 pm

urban wrote:JK1237 is right we need to stop our inner suburbs being destroyed by traffic.

In addition to a transport interchange opposite flinders uni perhaps a park & ride could be constructed under the Cumberland Park Woolies car park. From Cross Rd to the city could then be 1 bus lane & 1 vehicle lane in each direction during peak hour. The bus lanes could revert to parking at non-peak times.
No need, people just drop off others in the carpark itself.

Love the idea of the suicide lane. Maybe make the outside lane a bus only suicide lane and do not allow right hand turns in most areas.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#22 Post by rhino » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:13 am

Goodwood, Unley and Glen Osmond Road remind me of what Henley Beach and Hilton (Burbridge/Sir Donald Bradman) Roads were like in the 1980s when I lived in the western suburbs. Both those roads have been vastly improved now, but it required buying real estate. In the end, I think this is what is going to be needed in the inner south too - buying real estate. The down side of this is that Goodwood and Parkside may lose their local shopping village feel. In Torrensville the council and business owners got together and promoted the wider new look Henley Beach Road as "Torrensville Main Street", promoting it's village shopping charm. They also planted lots of fast-growing large trees, which made it look very established in only a few short years. Someone mentioned Portrush Road - well how many millions of $ were spent buying real estate along there to widen the road?
cheers,
Rhino

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#23 Post by Shuz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:25 pm

Wasn't Cross road upgraded some years ago (1980's I believe) requring acqusition of many propertie's front yards to widen the road?

urban
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by urban » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:56 pm

Portrush Rd & Cross Rd are both predominantly lined with residential uses with buildings set well back from the road. Subsequently very few if any buildings required modification & demolition.

Goodwood, Unley & Glen Osmond Rds have developed as commercial precincts with buildings built right to the boundary. The cost of increasing the width of these roads would thus be significantly higher than Cross & Portrush for dubious benefit. These roads are of greater value to the character of metropolitan Adelaide as local commercial precincts than as transport routes.

Money would be much better spent on improving traffic flow on South Rd/Anzac Hwy, public transport and reducing urban sprawl.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#25 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:56 pm

urban wrote: Money would be much better spent on improving traffic flow on South Rd/Anzac Hwy, public transport and reducing urban sprawl.

till that time comes, I really wish they would stop on street parking on these roads...It annoys me the laziness of people who need to be parked RIGHT OUT THE FRONT of the store they need to go in rather than drive down a bit further to a side street or park out the back of places like baker's delight etc.

How many more accidents need to happen before people realise it is not safe having on street parking and right turns on a 2 lane road.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by jimmy_2486 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:32 pm

Agreed.

How about "no right turns" along the stretch from cross roads to green hill road?

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:46 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Agreed.

How about "no right turns" along the stretch from cross roads to green hill road?

I guess this is the other option. They could even do what they have on pulteney street where only peak times no right turns are allowed...but it can't be that hard to make this street a little safer. The time it takes to drive down this road isn't so much an issue but the craziness of dodging cars and right turning vehicles is..

The worst part is I live near by and it is the main road that I use to get to the city so there really isn't an alternative.