Vision: Light Square Tower - 100f / 500m

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Vision: Light Square Tower - 100f / 500m

#46 Post by Pikey » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:43 pm

TooFar wrote:
crawf wrote:I would love to see a observation tower built on the Mt Lofty Summit (replacing the CFS and transmission towers). Imagine the views of the Adelaide Metropolitan and Piccadilly Valley.

There were once plans to build this and a large resort years ago...
Yes, there was a plan to build a 300m tower on Mt Lofty and a Gondola/Cable car up the side of the mountain. You can guess what happened to the proposal.
Have you got any details on this?
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#47 Post by Cruise » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:00 pm

I would much prefer to see the Adelaide CBD covered with 80 metre high buildings than have one building like this

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by Ben » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:08 pm

Cruise Control wrote:I would much prefer to see the Adelaide CBD covered with 80 metre high buildings than have one building like this
Maybe you should visit some third world countries and many in asia and the middle east which are full of apartment building about that height. It looks terible. We need taller buildings.

Dave_The_Planner
Gold-Member ;)

#49 Post by Dave_The_Planner » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:33 pm

This proposal/concept is ridiculous.

Waz
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by Waz » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:13 pm

beamer85 wrote:
Cruise Control wrote:I would much prefer to see the Adelaide CBD covered with 80 metre high buildings than have one building like this
Maybe you should visit some third world countries and many in asia and the middle east which are full of apartment building about that height. It looks terible. We need taller buildings.

The buildings in 3rd world countries you speak of have absolutely no architectural merit unlike just about every 60m+ scraper hitting our CBD recently.
You hear it here first...

TooFar
Gold-Member ;)

#51 Post by TooFar » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:37 am

Pikey wrote:
TooFar wrote:
crawf wrote:I would love to see a observation tower built on the Mt Lofty Summit (replacing the CFS and transmission towers). Imagine the views of the Adelaide Metropolitan and Piccadilly Valley.

There were once plans to build this and a large resort years ago...
Yes, there was a plan to build a 300m tower on Mt Lofty and a Gondola/Cable car up the side of the mountain. You can guess what happened to the proposal.
Have you got any details on this?
I tried to find some info on the Internet , but no luck. If someone has access to the Advertiser archives, they may find the render and more detail.

What I can remember was that before the current Mt Lofty summit restaurant was built there was a number of other proposal submitted. One being a 300m observation tower with incorporate TV broadcast antenna. Similar to the one in Canberra. There was also to be a Gondola that would take people to the summit and beyond. I remember some criticism of the proposed tower was it was too tall, it would have been 1/3 the height of Mt Lofty. :D

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#52 Post by Ho Really » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:14 am

TooFar wrote:...I remember some criticism of the proposed tower was it was too tall, it would have been 1/3 the height of Mt Lofty. :D
You mean more than 1/3 in height. Mount Lofty is 710.1 metres above sea level. Some say it is 727 m. asl., but that included the obelisk.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#53 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:55 pm

The observation deck was close to the ground aswell, looked really nice, hopefully one day it will get built in the future. Though that hotel would of probably been a huge white elephant especially back then.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by Pants » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:51 am

RUSSELL EMMERSON, REAL ESTATE EDITOR
November 09, 2007 01:15am
ADELAIDE'S skyline would be dominated by a 100-storey giant - four times taller than Adelaide's tallest building - if this artist's impression came to fruition.

(Do you think Adelaide is ready for a skyscraper? Scroll down and record your thoughts in the comment box below.)

Images of the 500m building have been mysteriously sent to a development website with a note that the concept has also been submitted to the Premier's office.

It is understood the proposal was sent late last year but the Premier's office could not be contacted last night to confirm this.

The Advertiser could not confirm who designed the concept but it is understood to be an effort to spark debate on city development. Many prominent South Australians and visitors, including former Thinker in Residence Charles Landry, have been critical of a lack of big-thinking developments here and a tendency for major projects to become bogged down in argument.

The SA president of the Urban Development Institute, Peter Jackson, said Adelaide's height restrictions would prevent the concept becoming reality.

"(Even) when we built the Westpac building (the city's tallest structure), there were concerns about the height of the building regarding planes taking off from the airport," he said.

A deeper understanding of how the proposal would sit as part of the larger urban setting also needed to be taken into account.

A property industry source said the images probably represented a "vision" designed to stimulate debate rather than a concrete development proposal.

Mr Jackson said: "For some people, it is an idea about what you can do in Adelaide rather than being a serious proposal.

"It is a question of should we or should we not at least think about it? Adelaide is pretty conservative and doesn't often reach out and break the mould."

The images appear to place the proposal at the western end of Franklin St, near the old Balfours site. That site is the home of the $600 million Precinct Development, being built by Multiplex Living and Urban Construct.

Precinct spokesman Todd Brown said the images had nothing to do with the project.

A proposal for a 123m tower on Currie St was approved by Adelaide City Council's development assessment panel in September, subject to 17 environmental, access and social conditions.

Typical shoddy journalism from the Advertiser.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by AG » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:28 am

My first thought when I read the article was the same Pants. At least the issue should get some thought from the public.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#56 Post by crawf » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:00 am

Must be a slow news day in Adelaide :roll:

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by Howie » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:28 am

Well no one from the Advertiser has contacted us about the render. Disappointing as I had many questions of my own that needed answers and perhaps these are the guys who could help us find out.

Anyhow, like AG said, at least this will get us talking about taller buildings in Adelaide. Props to ******** for the excellent render and design.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#58 Post by Ben » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:31 am

There is already a lot of discussion on the AdelaideNow website. If nothing else it will put some ideas in peoples heads about possibilities..
Last edited by Ben on Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#59 Post by Howie » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:43 am

Bit of a strip tease for you...

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by AtD » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:27 am

Still, interesting that this site was the source of a news article - is this a first for us? Usually it's the other way 'round!