Railyards Site Redevelopment

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: Railyards Site Redevelopment

#16 Post by Cruise » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:29 am

you guys are all forgetting something, the hospital!!! lol

Unfortunately i think were stuck with it

talrok
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by talrok » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:28 pm

fantastic momentkiller .. sports stadiums and exhibition centres belong in the city ... these things are guaranteed to bring people into our city and would encourage more people to live in and around CBD.
Hospital is better just out of the city .. I wouldn't mind it being built at Cheltenham .. or here's one for you, get rid of the too many Golf Courses within 15kms of CBD (and about 5 courses within 10kms of each other in Western Suburbs) and use that land for hospitals or housing. eg. Royal Adelaide, Grange (x2), Riverside, Kooyonga, Patawalonga (x2), Glenelg .. 8 damn courses within about 12kms of each other along the west coast!!
When it comes to housing, how often does the average joe go to work say in the city .. hmm, let me see, every single damn day .. and how often to play golf .. once a month, once a year .. so surely we should try and shorten the distance travelled for life's vital 'daily' activities (and reduce the pollution at same time) and we can drive that little bit further for recreations like playing golf ... I'm sure people would be happy to drive say 40kms once a week/month to play golf if that ment only having to drive 12kms each and every day to work rather then the reverse.
I know its way off this topic, but there is alot of IDLE land around the place to build 5 new stadia and 3 new hospitals .. lets not kid oursleves!!!!!!!!!!!!

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by bmw boy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:39 pm

Cruise Control wrote:you guys are all forgetting something, the hospital!!! lol

Well apparently we don't know if the railyards land is suitable for a hopsital yet, reports of it being too dangerous and toxic to build on + the cost to get rid of all the contimnated matterial... but who knows...

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by Pistol » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:16 pm

bmw boy wrote:

Well apparently we don't know if the railyards land is suitable for a hopsital yet, reports of it being too dangerous and toxic to build on + the cost to get rid of all the contimnated matterial... but who knows...
You watched Today Tonight didn't you... I am sure that the government took these costs and associated issues into consideration when they performed their analysis of the site.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by bmw boy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:32 pm

Pistol78 wrote:
bmw boy wrote:

You watched Today Tonight didn't you... I am sure that the government took these costs and associated issues into consideration when they performed their analysis of the site.
Nah I just saw the add, not taking it as gospel, hence why I said apparently.

Im sure the govt did do thier sums, but Im sure also that the claims of the huge cost of making the site suitable for a hopsital or whether it is suitable (safetywise) at all... also have basis. Most large infrastructure projects have produced costs blow outs...

Anyone watch the story itself? What did they say? did it seem realistic/credible??.. Then again I guess this is the wrong thread to discuss such issues.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by Bulldozer » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:28 am

Pistol78 wrote:I am sure that the government took these costs and associated issues into consideration when they performed their analysis of the site.
I think it's highly probable that the government didn't even have a plan before they announced it.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by Paulns » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:19 am

momentkiller wrote:Alas, allow me to unveil my grand plan. Ta-dah!

Wow, this is the best idea I've seen so far!!! Someone give,"Momentkiller", a prize!!!!! :D

Although I do think that 80,000's a little ambitious for Adelaide? Maybe a 60-70,000 seat stadium would be more appropriate???

I also strongly agree that a stadium this close to the city would increase crowd attendances and benefit the City of Adelaide simultainiously...
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#23 Post by Shuz » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:34 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. I'm suprised the Advertiser hasn't picked up on this yet? Should I send it in?

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Edgar » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:29 pm

a bit too close to the city don't you guys think?

As if the city traffic is not bad enough, adding a stadium this use right beside the CBD will make things worse.

I think the city Golf Course is a good location. Plenty of potential
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#25 Post by Cruise » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:48 pm

momentkiller wrote:Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. I'm suprised the Advertiser hasn't picked up on this yet? Should I send it in?
Yes, please do so

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by AtD » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:56 am

edgar_raphael wrote:a bit too close to the city don't you guys think?

As if the city traffic is not bad enough, adding a stadium this use right beside the CBD will make things worse.

I think the city Golf Course is a good location. Plenty of potential
That's the point! The city is designed to handle large peak flows of traffic, and is the best serviced area for public transport. West Lakes only has three main roads leading out and one bus lane. The city has dozens of roads, the rail lines and the bus fleet at its fingertips. As long as matches are timed not to finish in the middle of afternoon peak, there shouldn't be much problem. The city copes with Adelaide Oval no sweat.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by Paulns » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:38 pm

momentkiller wrote:Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. I'm suprised the Advertiser hasn't picked up on this yet? Should I send it in?
Definently send it in, your idea's awesome!!!! :D
edgar_raphael wrote:a bit too close to the city don't you guys think?

As if the city traffic is not bad enough, adding a stadium this use right beside the CBD will make things worse
Are you serious?????? The city would cope far better than West Lake plus theres also the established infrusture of public transport avaliable. This alone despite the state of Adelaides rail system would encourage more people to use public transport to get to and from the stadium. AAMI stadium's a joke. If we even want to consider the thought of holding a world cup soccer game in Adelaide than we seriously have to look at a proposal just like this...
AtD wrote:That's the point! The city is designed to handle large peak flows of traffic, and is the best serviced area for public transport. West Lakes only has three main roads leading out and one bus lane. The city has dozens of roads, the rail lines and the bus fleet at its fingertips.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!

We're so lucky to have this piece of land right here avaliable for a stadium/entertainment complex this close to the CBD!!!! Other cities around the world would kill for this opportunity!!!! This is our chance????
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#28 Post by Shuz » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:16 pm

Okay. I did it, all submitted to the Advertiser. Now just gotta wait to hear from them. Wish me luck!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by Norman » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:20 pm

Good luck :)

I recently sent in the new format bus timetables, but nothing from them so far.

utaussiefan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#30 Post by utaussiefan » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:54 pm

That is a Fantastic idea for the torrens because the railyards are really ugly