other sites for a new stadium?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

Re: other sites for a new stadium?

#31 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:20 pm

Yes well maybe when Adelaide gets the Olympics, we can think of hosting it in gepps x......ATM its a waste of time....

Besides, I consider rail services in homebush NSW better then services in Adelaide CBD, so I cant see services being decent in Gepps X before the city gets a decent upgrade (which will happen who knows when).

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by bm7500 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:47 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:
bm7500 wrote:
jimmy_2486 wrote:Yeah then after the footy game we could go around the corner to.........................??
You build a new venue like that and the entertainment precinct comes with it! Look at Docklands for example!!
yeah but I got news for u buddy....they didn't build docklands out in woop woop!! they built it basically in the city!! Mawson lakes is struggling to get any nightlife besides the granny's getting their duck ponds, so this place has buckleys chance.
Whats Mawson Lakes got to do with it buddy?????? :wank:
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by AG » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:01 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Yes well maybe when Adelaide gets the Olympics, we can think of hosting it in gepps x......ATM its a waste of time....

Besides, I consider rail services in homebush NSW better then services in Adelaide CBD, so I cant see services being decent in Gepps X before the city gets a decent upgrade (which will happen who knows when).
Olympic Park Sydney doesn't have that great a service for most of the time. During special events there are express services from Central, otherwise there is only a 20 minute shuttle between Lidcombe and Olympic Park. The Gawler and Noarlunga Lines are bit better than this for the most part for frequency.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:08 am

bm7500 wrote:
jimmy_2486 wrote:
yeah but I got news for u buddy....they didn't build docklands out in woop woop!! they built it basically in the city!! Mawson lakes is struggling to get any nightlife besides the granny's getting their duck ponds, so this place has buckleys chance.
Its right next door???
So the Mawson Lakes residents wont want this built next door, as it will make too much noise and scare the ducks away heheh!!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#35 Post by Cruise » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:15 am

chill pills are needed here

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by bm7500 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:48 am

jimmy_2486 wrote:
bm7500 wrote:
jimmy_2486 wrote:
Its right next door???
So the Mawson Lakes residents wont want this built next door, as it will make too much noise and scare the ducks away heheh!!
Wrong! Its not next door to Mawson Lakes!

As for the ducks, well they just shit on everything anyway! lol
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

wayniac
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#37 Post by wayniac » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:58 am

Hi Guys

I don't know if any one has mentioned this, but why don't we use the Wayville oval inside the Showgrounds? - it was suggested on the Adelaide Now website by a reader and i would tend to agree with him, there is some parking, but there is a focus towards public transport (Train, Bus, Tram). It not in the city centre but is very close, and we don't have to build something new, or create new infrastructure around it (i.e Train lines, etc). What do you think? comments?

Gepps Cross is not a good location, mainly because it would become a white elephant and only used at certain times of the year, this is what is happening at the stadium in Sydney, if it was closer to the CBD then it could be used all year round, and like the Telstra dome in Melb, used for Corporate events, functions, etc.

Cheers

Wayne

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#38 Post by AG » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:03 am

Wayville is a well accessible location by transport, although the site may be a bit small to support a large stadium as other facilities and buildings around it are built quite close up to the edge of the oval's current facilities although it could work by building overhanging sections. I'm not sure whether the oval is the right size for these sorts of sporting events either?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by Ben » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:10 am

Upgrade Santos Stadium! Perfect location. Heaps of room for carparking the rail way basically goes rite through the centre of the stadium as well.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#40 Post by Cruise » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:58 am

Ben wrote:Upgrade Santos Stadium! Perfect location. Heaps of room for carparking the rail way basically goes rite through the centre of the stadium as well.
I didnt think it had a large enough amount of land around it?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#41 Post by Ben » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:07 pm

Cruise wrote:
Ben wrote:Upgrade Santos Stadium! Perfect location. Heaps of room for carparking the rail way basically goes rite through the centre of the stadium as well.
I didnt think it had a large enough amount of land around it?
If you needed to you could always build on top of the railway.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#42 Post by Edgar » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:37 pm

Before, I thought that placing a new world-class stadium close to the city is stupid. But after some explanation from some guys here, I do get the whole idea of why it would be great. I sadly, had to agree with the boys, it is indeed a great idea.

However, I disagree with currently proposed location on top of the railyards, but I do think this is one of the best location so far:

ideal location in the centre of the northern, southern, eastern and western surburbs. At least, travelers can by-pass the city center and head straight there.

Plenty of potential for other stadiums, like swimming, or perhaps, multi-purpose stadium for concerts.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

talrok
High Rise Poster!

#43 Post by talrok » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:54 pm

The parklands should DEFINITELY be used for a new stadium .. just looking at that last picture says it all .. how damn bloomin ugly!!!! Never knew brown arid parklands were attractive. Even if we put a stadium the size of Telstra Dome on one of the many 'parklands' we would still have plenty or parklands left to crow about .. why we crow about them anyway I will never understand .. one or two 'Rymall Park' type parks in the city is plenty I feel ..

I think west or south of the city is perfect .. if west, then righ ALONG West Tce (or perhaps Santos) no further, and if South then on the CITY (northern) SIDE of Greenhill Rd. But with the trains running predominantly on the north western and soouth western side I feel the West is best.

Like I always say .. sell AAMI, and its 3 ovals around it .. sell land for much needed housing (not the bloomin land in Munno Parra West and further = extra POLLUTION!!!!) . the sale will surely pay for majority of building costs .. say at least $200,000 per block .. 200 blocks = $40,000,000 just like that ... SIMPLE!

Just think, Droughts, El Nino, Water Restrictions, De Salination Plants .. does this sounds like lush green parklands to you??? The 1950's are over folks!! move on!!!

wilko91
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#44 Post by wilko91 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:50 am

I couldnt agree more. The south or west parklands are the way to go. Both have train or tram access and are currently just turning to dust with water restrictions. After living in Melbourne for the past 18 months you see how much easier it is to get to the MCG or Telstra Dome, plus all the extra money spent at local venues before and after the match. Its time to wake up, even Perth is getting a new 60 million dollar stadium....

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#45 Post by crawf » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:25 pm

DEFINITELY NOT

I would rather see the parklands revamped, not build a large stadium on it. The railway yards and Keswick is a perfect site.