The O-bahn

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

The O-bahn

#1 Post by Cruise » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:01 pm

what do you believe should be done with it?

I believe it should be extended to golden grove and starting at north terrace with the southern o-bahn plan reinstated. IMO the o-bahn has the potential to be a great piece of Adelaide's PT network.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: The O-bahn.

#2 Post by Shuz » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:13 pm

I hate it. I always have and I always will. The track should be ripped out, and rebuilt as a heavy rail corridor. At Park Tce, it should go underpass the road and remerge again adjacent the ring road, and follow the alignment of Plane Tree Drive, where it would dive underground into a subway from the Zoo, under the University and meet up at Adelaide Railway Station, either as a throughfare through Platform 8+9 or underground in a new terminus. The reinstatement of the route as a heavy rail corridor would allow for more convienient access (greater station frequency) and has a larger capacity to carry passengers than the buses.
An extension from Modbury to Golden grove shouldn't be too hard, as there are many linear park reservations which a line could run through from Modbury.

Cruise, where would a Southern O-Bahn run? The only reservation I'm aware of is the old Woodcroft rail corridor, which wouldn't be overly effective IMO.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: The O-bahn

#3 Post by AtD » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:36 pm

The O-Bahn's biggest failing is it only goes as far as Hackney Road. It would be good if Hackney Road though to Currie Street had bus lanes and bus priority at intersections. The Golden Grove extension idea has been touted before, there's an existing corridor that could be used. Extra parking at the interchanges would also be a good idea, even if they require a token fee of a dollar or two.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#4 Post by Cruise » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:52 pm

The flexibility of the O bahn is vastly superior to heavy rail. And also has the same advantage of rail (having the right of way).

The southern o-bahn was to run to flinders.
Im trying to find some more info of the proposal on the net for you

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by ynotsfables » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:02 pm

The O-bahn is unique and i agree it should be extended in as many conceivable directions. This works well in Germany, and it could be a good part of our PT system as well as trams and trains. Why limit ourselves with the usual PT system that other cities have got. No other Australian capital has this, yet we have the opportunity to do something good with this that can be uniquely Adelaide just like the Sydney ferries, the monorail or the Melbourne trams.

Variety is good.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#6 Post by Cruise » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:17 pm

the only problem with building future O bahns is level crossings

but the way i see it we shouldnt have level crossings on railways either

Maybe another O bahn to Buckland park?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Shuz » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:14 pm

Well, you know me. Always full of ideas and all the time to spare.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/231/gg1qr7.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4642/gg2ax8.jpg

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by ynotsfables » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:22 pm

Cruise wrote:the only problem with building future O bahns is level crossings
The beauty of the o-bahn is that it can go on the road, meaning that level crossings may not be needed.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by AtD » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:33 pm

ynotsfables wrote:The beauty of the o-bahn is that it can go on the road, meaning that level crossings may not be needed.
Traffic lights, level crossings, they're all the same in the end.

Capacity is what the O-Bahn lacks compared to heavy rail. There simply aren't enough buses to replace the Gawler or Noarlunga lines with one. Also, the reasonable speeds at which both modes can travel favours heavy rail.

Shuz, any extension would logically go to Golden Grove Village, it already has an interchange and a large number of buses go straight there before branching out anyway.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Cruise » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:37 pm

I can tell you Adelaide is going to get one more artic bus as a trial (new model) I'll tell you more when i find out

Mants
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Mants » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:56 pm

i quite like your proposal shuz!

to add to that, paradise and ttp can remain interchanges, where buses run to adjoining suburbs, and golden grove can also act as an interchange. all others can be built as "traditional" stations.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: The O-bahn.

#12 Post by Ho Really » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:58 am

Shuz wrote:I hate it. I always have and I always will. The track should be ripped out, and rebuilt as a heavy rail corridor. At Park Tce, it should go underpass the road and remerge again adjacent the ring road, and follow the alignment of Plane Tree Drive, where it would dive underground into a subway from the Zoo, under the University and meet up at Adelaide Railway Station, either as a throughfare through Platform 8+9 or underground in a new terminus. The reinstatement of the route as a heavy rail corridor would allow for more convienient access (greater station frequency) and has a larger capacity to carry passengers than the buses.
An extension from Modbury to Golden grove shouldn't be too hard, as there are many linear park reservations which a line could run through from Modbury.

Cruise, where would a Southern O-Bahn run? The only reservation I'm aware of is the old Woodcroft rail corridor, which wouldn't be overly effective IMO.
Shuz, wouldn't it be better as light rail? And undergrounding it at the centre of Hackney Road where it widens? It would run around the National Wine Centre onto North Terrace all the way to the Adelaide Station. It would serve the RAH, the Universities, Art Gallery, Museum, Library, etc.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Go Adelaide
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#13 Post by Go Adelaide » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:49 am

ho Really; I agree with light rail as a substitue transport system to the O-bahn and running it adjacent to or under key public areas.

A plan that makes the route more than a few stops to increase use would seem ideal - especially when travel time is not increased.

Go Adelaide

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by stumpjumper » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:22 pm

Does anyone here know how the O-Bahn stacks up financially? Does it operate at a loss? (ie before depreciation etc)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:24 pm

Well, from what I've seen, it is VERY well patronised. In fact, it is probably the most patronised public transport corridor in Adelaide.