Vision: The New Adelaide Metro Era

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Vision: The New Adelaide Metro Era

#76 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:11 am

For those who wanted a different kind of map, I've just finished one that is a little more simplistic.

Check it out here: http://subway.galoresoftware.net/site/r ... pbasic.pdf

It's in Vector format :)

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#77 Post by frank1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:35 pm

I was thinking today if the gov were to put car bypass tunnels under the city where would be the best spot for it?. At the two ends of the tunnel how would they intergrate the tunnel back into the surrounding streets?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#78 Post by Shuz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:00 pm

Similar to Norman's efforts, I compilied my own Adelaide Metro vision. It's still a work in progress though, I've to add some stations still.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 4&t=p&z=11

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#79 Post by Norman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:43 pm

Not bad, I like it, but there are some issues:
-Fountain Valley should be Reynella
-Oaklands Park should be Marion Interchange or Marion Shopping Centre
-Marion should be Morphettville
-Park Holme should be Westminster or Marion
-Warradale should be Oaklands Park
-Flinders Uni should be Flinders Interchange or Flinders Medical Centre, Flinders Uni is further to the right.

-How will the Airport line run? Have you considered the heightened flooding risk and low level above the sea?
-Any recommended sites for TODs and high density areas?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#80 Post by Shuz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks for the input Norman, I have adjusted each correction accordingly.

I did not even consider the flooding risk at the Airport, so I modified the line - it would operate as an elevated railway from Adelaide Airport along Airport Road, and as the road curves to the NE, it would dive underground and follow directly underneath Henley Beach Road. The line now can now merge with the Belair and Oaklands Park lines, feeding directly into Adelaide Railway Station and Victoria Square stations. The Mount Barker line has also been modified to join with the East-West Metro service, saving prohibitive costs of extensive tunneling, and maximising frequencies within the CBD.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#81 Post by Norman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:13 pm

I've decided to revive this with a much more plausible option. The red dots represent TODs and the red strips represent "activity roads". Let me know what you think :)

http://cid-8ac526a53435b646.office.live ... /map26.jpg

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#82 Post by dbl96 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:12 pm

in response to the latest map posted:

as a vision for the future of light rail in adelaide, i think this is an excellent vision. I feel however that the heavy rail aspect of the network has been sidelined and needs more work.

I have a few suggestions and questions

just wondering, what is the point of the belair and tonsley lines becoming tram lines?

it would be good if there was a tramline that continued right up norwood parade to penfolds road, as this is already a go zone that is packed in peak hour. another usefull route woud branch from the glen osmond road route and continue to burnside village.

Your map (the one on windows live) looks very professional, i was wondering how you created it.

also, i cannot seem to be able to access any of the earlier maps (subway galore ones) could you please re post them as ordinary JPEG files

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#83 Post by dbl96 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:15 pm

and what happened to the grange line?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#84 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:46 pm

The Grange Line has been replaced by buses and trams, U7 and U8 are supposed to also be train-trams so they are able to still serve the rail lines, including the Belair Line, with high capacity services.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#85 Post by MessiahAndrw » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:27 pm

I think this is excellent work! This is very well done!

The original domain has gone down, I was able to access the map uploaded to Sky Drive: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=8ac526a5 ... 646%212294.

Did you contact the Advertiser? Might I suggest trying to contact local messengers, heads of all of the local government areas involved (even the opposition), the federal Department of Infrastructure and Transport, Adelaide Metro, and anybody else in the public/political sphere.

It is a wonderful plan, and it's only downfall will it be going unnoticed.

[ramble]
As a [studying to be] computer scientist, I have inspired myself a while ago to do something similar using a metaheurisic approach for the computer to determine the most optimal layout and scheduling of a combined subway/tram/train/bus network, with each solution being simulated through a 'day' of agents (passenger-mile, vehicles, etc) trying to make it from A to B the fastest way possible. With maximum budget constraints (once off and ongoing costs) you could optimise the metro network towards several objectives; such as least time travelled or least greenhouse gasses generated. You would also import population density maps and locations of retail centres (and their sizes), and let it find the optimal locations to build hubs based on demand. It may even find solutions (such as suburbian loops) that may be more efficient than every line eventually leading to the CBD.
[/ramble]
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php