Flinders Busway.

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

Flinders Busway.

#1 Post by Shuz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:38 pm

Basically a conceptual design for a busway to replace the Tonsley train line, inspiration from the Brisbane busway system.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4917/buswaykb9.jpg

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Flinders Busway.

#2 Post by Norman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:06 pm

I had a similar idea here: http://www.galoresoftware.net/MapR7.jpg

Anyway, I doubt a busway is good for the Flinders area, the buses right now only go 20-30km/h up the hill from Ring Road to Registry Road.

bs
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3 Post by bs » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:56 am

The problem with busways is that every road and pedestrian crossing must be grade separated. Grade separating roads costs a lot of money, eg a single bridge over a road would easily cost $10 million.

Extending the train line makes much more sense. A Tonsley interchange has been proposed several times before.

It should include a park and ride for 1000-1500 cars which is patrolled by security. I am sure it will prove quite popular due to a considerable time saving that express trains will offer.

Removing some cars and express buses like the T721 and T218 will help ease peak hour traffic on South and Goodwood road.

The trains should be every 15 minutes all day, with every second train express form Woodlands Park and the others all stations.

A free shuttle bus could go around the Flinders Uni loop every 5 minutes to link passengers to the interchange, and to allow students to conveniently travel to different parts of the uni.

During off peak a number of bus routes that make the trip around the flinders loop could instead terminate at the interchange. People who want to go to flinders could catch the shuttle. That would make 199 services to Marion much quicker.

The interchange will be of a similar design to Noarlunga centre and include enclosed waiting area, toilets, kiosk, bike storage and a ticket office.

Here is a map of how it could look,

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Norman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:35 am

Just nitpicking, bs, but some of the routes don't exist anymore/have moved. :P

bs
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by bs » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:39 am

yeah thats true, I need to get myself a new metroguide. but they all still go in the same general direction :)

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by muzzamo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:34 am

I keep saying that that proposal that bs has drawn up would be the best public transport project that the government could do in terms of cost benefit. Its not really a pie-in-the-sky idea at all and I think the government actually proposed it a few years ago (they had a sketch in the paper and everything). Its a very logical and realistic thing to do.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by jk1237 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:28 pm

bs wrote:The problem with busways is that every road and pedestrian crossing must be grade separated. Grade separating roads costs a lot of money, eg a single bridge over a road would easily cost $10 million.

Extending the train line makes much more sense. A Tonsley interchange has been proposed several times before.

It should include a park and ride for 1000-1500 cars which is patrolled by security. I am sure it will prove quite popular due to a considerable time saving that express trains will offer.

Removing some cars and express buses like the T721 and T218 will help ease peak hour traffic on South and Goodwood road.

The trains should be every 15 minutes all day, with every second train express form Woodlands Park and the others all stations.

A free shuttle bus could go around the Flinders Uni loop every 5 minutes to link passengers to the interchange, and to allow students to conveniently travel to different parts of the uni.

During off peak a number of bus routes that make the trip around the flinders loop could instead terminate at the interchange. People who want to go to flinders could catch the shuttle. That would make 199 services to Marion much quicker.

The interchange will be of a similar design to Noarlunga centre and include enclosed waiting area, toilets, kiosk, bike storage and a ticket office.

Here is a map of how it could look,

Spot on. I havent looked at your map yet, but what you have written is perfect

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by jk1237 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:32 pm

ok ive looked at your map, and its exactly what I think should happen. This not a huge project in terms of money, however, we dont have enough train cars at the moment, so we would have to build some more

bs
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#9 Post by bs » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:10 pm

Yes, new railcars would definitely required.

Ideally the government would bite the bullet and electrify the system, buy new railcars and build this and the Seaford extension in one big project similar to what Perth did in the early 1990’s. But most likely nothing substantial will happen for some time until the mining boom is in full swing and the government has more money.