Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
richard1966
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

#226 Post by richard1966 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:13 am

Hi,

I'm interested in all of this as I have been researching cities in Australia as potentials, for emigrating to with my family from the UK. Adelaide has always bubbled to the top of the list as it has the potential to grow yet still has a friendly feel we like. Do current residents see the future growth coming from oversea migration or interstate? How do locals feel about overseas migrants especially as we might be heading toward a downturn and jobs might be harder to find?

Richard

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#227 Post by Queen Anne » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:00 am

Hi Richard,

I'm no expert on this subject but as a (currently absent) resident I would guess that SA's greatest chance for future growth comes from OS migration - that is where our healthier population growth seems to be originating right now, anyway.

The current global economic climate is a real worry but, historically speaking, I wouldn't say that SA is prone to resenting immigrants. In fact we have rather a proud tradition of welcoming people from all over - the 'City of Churches' moniker refers not to how many churches we have (as commonly believed) but to the fact that SA was always a place of religious freedom (someone better with their history might be able to expand). We have also gained a great deal, culturally and economically, from our German, Greek, Italian, Lebanese, Chinese communities (I bet there's communities I've forgotten too) and are currently becoming home to a growing Sudanese community. Also, I read that SA might not suffer as much in the economic downturn as other states (here's hoping!)

As a state, we have traditionally had an older population base and, personally, I think it can only do us good into the future to see younger families choosing SA and Adelaide as their home. One thing that is a worry is how many young South Australians leave SA, and also quite a few of our immigrants seem to to the same once they have met the terms of their immigration. As a small state we struggle to compete with the lure of larger places, I guess. So, I think we should be doing all we can to encourage people who are interested in SA as a long term home.

let me be the first South Australian to welcome you :)
Cheers, Caroline

richard1966
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#228 Post by richard1966 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:53 am

Caroline,

Many thanks for your information. Its good to hear positive things about an area from those who live actually there. We live in a very small town of just 35,000 in the UK so Adelaide is considerably bigger! I have only just come across this website today so will be going through it and focussing more on Adelaide and what it can offer us a family and what we can offer in return. Thanks again, Richard

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#229 Post by rhino » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:09 am

richard1966 wrote:Caroline, We live in a very small town of just 35,000 in the UK
:lol: Hi Richard, I have lived in Adelaide for many many years and I love this place, but did you realize that the very small town you live in would be regarded as a city here, and, in fact, is larger than any city in South Australia apart from Adelaide?
cheers,
Rhino

ronaldo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#230 Post by ronaldo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:10 pm

I know how you feel, Richard. I have plans to move from Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) to Adelaide at the end of 2009 with wife and son. My challenges are immense, specially in terms of language and culture. Rio is a huge city with more than 6 million people (bigger than any australian city) and a lot of problems either and we are going to an organized city of only 1,2 million inhabitants (I hope I am correct). That It will be really a big move. We have a big advantage compared to other parts of the world as Brazil is south hemisphere too and our climate is similar to Oz. So back to the topic if SA wants to attract more people you have to imagine how tough is to leave friends and relatives and go to a faraway land, aware we will seldom see them. We need to be welcome and feel like home with new friends and part of Adelaide and Australia. That is it. We are human beings. Simple. Society, you know. This feeling. Not a strange, you know.
Good luck for everybody.
Ronaldo (Rio de Janeiro)

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#231 Post by Omicron » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:02 pm

Come one, come all! New residents are always welcome. I bought a dark fruit cake, marzipan and white icing the other day, so perhaps it can become the Official Welcoming Cake!

Or I'll eat it all.

Something like that.

:wink:

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#232 Post by aussie2000 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:17 pm

rhino wrote:
richard1966 wrote:Caroline, We live in a very small town of just 35,000 in the UK
:lol: Hi Richard, I have lived in Adelaide for many many years and I love this place, but did you realize that the very small town you live in would be regarded as a city here, and, in fact, is larger than any city in South Australia apart from Adelaide?
really? 35,000? i probably wouldn't say city, maybe big town? Mount Gambier is something like 25 - 30 thousand and i consider that a town...

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#233 Post by Cruise » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:16 pm

Omicron wrote:Come one, come all! New residents are always welcome. I bought a dark fruit cake, marzipan and white icing the other day, so perhaps it can become the Official Welcoming Cake!

Or I'll eat it all.

Something like that.

:wink:
Or Cruise will steal it, for no reason at all really.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#234 Post by Shuz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Why should anyone be attracted to living here in 44.5c heat? I say we all migrate to Tasmania.
They don't have hot weather, water restrictions, and is just as every bit European as Adelaide is.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#235 Post by Wayno » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:53 pm

Shuz wrote:Why should anyone be attracted to living here in 44.5c heat? I say we all migrate to Tasmania.
They don't have hot weather, water restrictions, and is just as every bit European as Adelaide is.
no way! i prefer hot hot hot to cold cold cold any day of the week...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#236 Post by Shuz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:56 pm

Wayno wrote:
Shuz wrote:Why should anyone be attracted to living here in 44.5c heat? I say we all migrate to Tasmania.
You're mad. You've gone mad as madman can be. I say let the heat subside and you'll be in the right frame of mind.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#237 Post by Wayno » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:00 pm

Shuz wrote:
Wayno wrote:
You're mad. You've gone mad as madman can be. I say let the heat subside and you'll be in the right frame of mind.
i don't suffer from insanity, i enjoy every minute of it...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#238 Post by Queen Anne » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:58 pm

ronaldo wrote:I know how you feel, Richard. I have plans to move from Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) to Adelaide at the end of 2009 with wife and son. My challenges are immense, specially in terms of language and culture. Rio is a huge city with more than 6 million people (bigger than any australian city) and a lot of problems either and we are going to an organized city of only 1,2 million inhabitants (I hope I am correct). That It will be really a big move. We have a big advantage compared to other parts of the world as Brazil is south hemisphere too and our climate is similar to Oz. So back to the topic if SA wants to attract more people you have to imagine how tough is to leave friends and relatives and go to a faraway land, aware we will seldom see them. We need to be welcome and feel like home with new friends and part of Adelaide and Australia. That is it. We are human beings. Simple. Society, you know. This feeling. Not a strange, you know.
Good luck for everybody.
Ronaldo (Rio de Janeiro)
Ronaldo, have you seen this?

http://www.newcomersnetwork.com/austral ... elaide.php

I don't have any personal experience of this group to share, but it might be worth looking into. It can be lonely, sometimes, being a new arrival in a foreign country, so meeting fellow new immigrants might help.

You are right that Adelaide has around one million inhabitants.

Good luck to you and your family :)

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#239 Post by Cruise » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:43 pm

Wayno wrote: i don't suffer from insanity, i enjoy every minute of it...
May i also partake in being insane by putting a tea kettle on my head?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#240 Post by Cruise » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Adelaide is a European City?

I will go back and check my maps, but i'm pretty sure it's 'strayian.