Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

#1 Post by Cruise » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:15 pm

This could be fun, What ideas can you come with to increase our population?

Maybe more financial benefits like the state government subsidizing immigration cost from overseas? (which Ive heard can be an expensive process)

Or reducing the time it takes to immigrate? (cut red tape)

share your ideas.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

#2 Post by Norman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:27 pm

More national advertising that is smart and enticing could be a possibility.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by AtD » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:29 pm

From what I've heard, there's already less red tape and easier entry requirements if you agree to live in Adelaide for x number of years.

The answer we want, of course, is to push though developments like 88 O'Connel and Latitude. :mrgreen:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Will » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:21 pm

My idea is for the state government to open up SA information offices within Australian embassies and consulates abroad, so that when people apply for information indicating their desire to migrate to Australia, they may be presented with information about SA. The idea behind this, is internationally, SA and Adelaide are not well known, and I suspect, many immigrants go to Sydney and Melbourne, because they are the cities that they known and are familiar with.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#5 Post by Shuz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:49 pm

An organisation should be set up nationally that overlooks the distribution of population growth across Australia, and that migrants should be channeled into regional cities and metropolitian areas in need of their skills, cultural value, and support to the community. Unsustainable growth has been occuring on the East Coast for too long, particulary in South East Queensland (Dams at 20% capacity, buckling transport infrastructure, housing affordability). Now while some may argue that the decrease in growth to the area would also affect the region economically, I think that if Australians looked beyond the region they lived and saw the effects in economical growth for the country with the right measures taken to support such growth in the areas most in need of new migrants. The mining boom for SA is a focal point of economic growth, and so measures should be taken that oversees the development plans in place to support the Upper Spencer Gulf region.

De-centralisation is what Australia needs. The prospects of Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne as 10 million+ megacities by the end of this century, is quite frankly frightening. Regional centres such as Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong, Townsville, Cairns, Port Augusta, Launceston, Mount Gambier, Port Lincoln, Newcastle, Wollongong, Albury and countless other localites should be the focus for absorbing the growth that would otherwise be taken up to the capital cities.

Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and Hobart as the capitals are the only centres that can support a larger population base, but would eventually be limited - Adelaide max 1.8-2.2 million, Perth max 2.5-3.0 million, Darwin max. 600-800 thousand, Hobart max. 0.8-1.2 million, as sustainable measures without entering a stage of medium-long term inhibitors to their economical output and pressures on their infrastructre needs.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by stelaras » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:00 pm

Here are my ideas of how to attact more people to SA

1. design a clean and attractive, safe and green place to live the life that they want to lead.
2. put mechanisms in place that will allow individuals to grow professionally and personally, and raise a family
3. put mechanisms in place to create an interesting and diverse place to live that has space for social interactions and is close to family values.

But the most important point i think is Branding the state: (see point 4 below)

4. promote the state in a manner that makes it stand out, that is highlight what is great about it. That is create a brand that is uniquely SA

This could be done by creating a series of tags, each promoting a certain attraction in South Australia. The tags would be strategically placed where a visitor to the city might find them. For instance, a tag might be hung on every bag that comes out of the baggage carousel at the airport, or from every lamp in every hotel room, or in the rear-view mirror of every rental car.

Creating and placing the tags will be the first of three phases in the branding project. Next, the chamber will attempt to partner with organizations around the city to begin promoting the brand to its citizens.

The next phase is what people in marketing call the 'brand culturalization process'. We' would have to train key groups of people to understand the concept, so we can live the brand. Getting Adelaides/SA citizens on the same page is a key step in the process, so the city can deliver on the brand promise it will promote.

If we get Adelaideans excited about being here and understanding all the wonderful treasures we have in this area then this should translate into getting visitors excited. We should aim to want to remind people that we're all Adelaideans (or South Australians), and when Adelaide (SA) benefits, we all benefit.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by jk1237 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:35 pm

make the working holiday visas non expiry. ie if a English or Canadian backpacker wants to stay and work here for years, let them.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by Bulldozer » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:47 pm

Government should spend a chunk of cash to send top-notch film crews around the state to film HD footage of different aspects, hire talented composers and musicians to put together some soundtracks and cut together a bunch of 5 minute videos showing off the scenery of the state. No voiceovers, just scenery and music. Then put it up on the net for anyone to download. Advertise the website - maybe even get Apple to have the videos on their HD sample page - press a bunch of discs and have them bundled with popular newspapers in areas we're targeting for migrants.

* Adelaide - parklands, shopping, dining, music, beach, trams, pubs, architecture
* Fleurieu - coast, vineyards, dairy, victor, kangaroo island - seal bay, caves, remarkable rocks
* South East - dairy, timber, wine, crayfish, blue lake, batcaves
* Flinders - flyby's of gorges, 4wd, graziers, rock art, fossils, camping.
* Outback - olympic dam, woomera, coober pedy, moomba, cooper creek, coongee lakes, lake eyre, salt pans, simpson
* Eyre Peninsula - port lincoln, coffin bay, cropping, tuna, oysters, streaky bay, cowell, whyalla
* Mid-north - barossa valley, clare valley, burra, kapunda, etc.
* Yorke Peninsula - edithburg, marion bay, port broughton, kadina, wallaroo, innes national park - stenhouse, chinamans, pondalowie, ethel wreck
* Riverland - murray from the mouth to the border, orchards, vineyards, watersports, wetlands, houseboats

Making a heap of high-quality full HD footage freely available would surely garner a load of attention around the world at this time. You might even get retailers using it to show off TV's!

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by JamesXander » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:40 am

Strong advertising promotions in New Zealand and the United Kingdom, maybe also South Africa. Call SA the boom state of Australia, potential. Cheap and laid back. Show crappy images of Sydney and Melbourne. Great Images of Adelaide and our state.

To people from not as wealthy countries, advertise cheap affordable living, not living from the bottom where they would in Sydney or Melbourne. The state Government begins a building scheme, where as they build low to middle income apartments for Immigrants with a low interest rate. But they must stay in the State for 10 years minimum. Build mainly in the city, as we need to curb urban sprawl.

And Finally, for interstate migration.

We need boldness. Show SA is becoming a true city, show we are the next boom state, we have a great culture and a relaxed lifestyle. We are not cluttered and arrogant like city dwellers of the Eastern States. Propose they join in making this state/city the best in Australia.

I honestly think if Adelaide were to get the F1's back, we would be on the right track, people would know Adelaide as teh place that holds the F1 race. And hey, if you hold an F1 race you must be doing alright! Also saves alot of money by not having to advertise as much.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by ReallyBad » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:57 pm

Bring in a no clothing allowed rule for all sexy women - I volunteer to be a judge for sexiness.... :P
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#11 Post by rev » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:56 pm

Free lap dances?

In all seriousness, I agree with AtD. More development occuring, attractive and appealing developments at that, the image of Adelaide will start to change. Re-invent the place.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Edgar » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:36 pm

I'm from a migrant from South East Asia and at this point, after 7 months, is still awaiting my residency grant notification from the immigration department, God knows why are they taking such a long time as my file has yet to be opened and reviewed since I last lodged in 7 months ago. Although the processing centre is in Adelaide is processing applications for migrants throughout of Australia.

Anyway, let me explained a classic example of how the Victorian government attracted migrants to their capital city, Melbourne.

During the early year 2000, Melbourne was really aggressive in promoting their city to the rest of the world, even more aggressive than Sydney and Gold Coast came second.

I remembered watching through the telly from my satellite receiver, browsing through the Indonesian and Singaporean channels, I often came across the tv ads promoting Melbourne. They were promoting Melbourne CBD, showcasing their city, the lifestyle, the apartments, etc. Mind you, that was all they were promoting (because that is all they have), and it is still gaining a lot of response.

I still remember the ad quoting "Melbourne, the world's most liveable city"

I haven't seen SA pushing 'that hard' into the international window. However, the state does have a few potential though:

1) http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=4&t=1294 TV Broadcast
2) The Tour Down Under

and a couple more of international events are one of the few ways to aggressively promote the state using the available opportunities.

The Melbourne promotional ads was very attractive to say the least, if it was not because my sister were residing in Adelaide at the time, I could have settled in Melbourne instead.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Wayno » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:17 pm

Money and Jobs talk...here's a couple of ideas:

* What if the SA Govt offered BIG tax breaks for LARGE overseas corporations to setup shop here. I realize this could create angst for existing south aussie companies, so perhaps it should only apply to new industries not existing here yet (can anyone think of any industry types?). I'm pretty sure Ireland took this approach to attract the I.T. industry (Microsoft et al) into Dublin a few years ago. Microsoft got a tax shelter (saving them $100's of millions) and Ireland broke into a brand new industry creating heaps of jobs. Apparently still going well today...

* The SA Govt could also offer low honeymoon rate housing loans to new immigrants (as long as they as meet certain criteria, remain in SA for 5years, are continually employed, etc)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Howie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:05 pm

Edgar wrote:snip
totally agree with you there Edgar. I'm in KL at the moment and i've seen perth being promoted as a destination city.... perhaps we need to be in dublin or somewhere to see ads for more migration to adelaide. South east asia and the pacific is really where we need to be directing our ads for maximum impact.. but i think it's going to take a culture shift .. is adelaide cosmopolitan enough to encourage migration from places other than the uk? I really hope so.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Will » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:17 pm

Howie wrote:
Edgar wrote:snip
totally agree with you there Edgar. I'm in KL at the moment and i've seen perth being promoted as a destination city.... perhaps we need to be in dublin or somewhere to see ads for more migration to adelaide. South east asia and the pacific is really where we need to be directing our ads for maximum impact.. but i think it's going to take a culture shift .. is adelaide cosmopolitan enough to encourage migration from places other than the uk? I really hope so.
I can't see how Perth is more cosmopolitan than Adelaide, so yes, I think we can encourage more Asian migration.