Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

#271 Post by rhino » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Omicron wrote:That survey is such utter nonsense that I don't quite know where to start.

I would like to move to Melbourne and live in a Eureka penthouse with servants peeling grapes, but that doesn't really mean anything useful.
When you consider who was surveyed - presumably people overseas who have an interest in migrating to Australia - it does give you an idea of overseas impressions. The Northern Territory is in peoples' minds because of it being the iconic Australian Outback, and from movies such as Australia which was released recently. People think it would be a cool place to live, even though they probably know nothing about the employment prospects of the place. And this is what is disturbing about the survey - people seem to know very little about South Australia. We have so much to offer, and we want to attract skilled workers from overseas, but it seems they don't know about us.

If you were seriously planning to migrate to a particular country, would you go where the best fishing was (for example), or where you knew you could get work and live in comfort? Why don't these people know about us?
cheers,
Rhino

Omicron

#272 Post by Omicron » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:51 pm

It's all in the interpretation - 16% of internet-trawling twelve year olds may well want to come live in the Northern Territory when they move to Australia, but the actual migration statistics show that only a tiny percentage of them actually do so. It's that old 'stated behaviour vs. actual behaviour' thing again - what people say they are going to do, or say they love or hate, ís a surprisingly poor predictor of what they end up doing.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#273 Post by AtD » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:48 pm

Sorry to be Captain Obvious, but there are only three things you need to attract people to SA:
Jobs,
Jobs, and
Jobs.

Everything else is a waste of time if you don't have the above three things. Adelaide punches below its weight in the number of ASX company headquarters, for example.

One of you guys needs to start the next Macquarie Bank, ok?

Omicron

#274 Post by Omicron » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:11 pm

AtD wrote:Sorry to be Captain Obvious, but there are only three things you need to attract people to SA:
Jobs,
Jobs, and
Jobs.

Everything else is a waste of time if you don't have the above three things. Adelaide punches below its weight in the number of ASX company headquarters, for example.

I have a ten-dollar note in my wallet, so I expect I shall be chief financial officer?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#275 Post by Wayno » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:05 pm

Omicron wrote:I have a ten-dollar note in my wallet, so I expect I shall be chief financial officer?
only if you are able to sell it for $20 and receive ongoing performance based payments...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#276 Post by mattblack » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:50 pm

AtD wrote:Sorry to be Captain Obvious, but there are only three things you need to attract people to SA:
Jobs,
Jobs, and
Jobs.

To create jobs the government needs to give clear policy directions, incentives for business and infrastructure to make us an attractive place to do business or study in. Jobs just dont appear out of thin air. Although much more needs to be done, in my opinion the gov hasn't done such a bad job on these fronts. The problem is that Adelaide is at the stage where we are emerging from a small city to a medium sized city. There are many issues that come along with this and there only so much money to spread around.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#277 Post by fabricator » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:41 pm

Jobs,
Jobs, and
Jobs.
Advertised jobs, not fake jobs, not I got this job because my friend's cousin's brother works there.

Death to cronyism ! (and employment agencies who make fake jobs)
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#278 Post by adam_stuckey » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:31 pm

and death to dumb governments who build economies off of them too!
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

vik_man
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#279 Post by vik_man » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:00 pm

one thing that annoys me immensely is when someone on the internet asks about immigrating to Adelaide and what it's like

they are then met with an abundance of negative feedback badmouthing the city, and a lot of it is from locals

i find this very damaging

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#280 Post by Will » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:53 pm

vik_man wrote:one thing that annoys me immensely is when someone on the internet asks about immigrating to Adelaide and what it's like

they are then met with an abundance of negative feedback badmouthing the city, and a lot of it is from locals

i find this very damaging
Yes sadly, we are our own worst enemy, and the problem is that by constantly being negative we are only making things worse and turning what we say into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#281 Post by fabricator » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:40 pm

I know a way to attact more people to SA, and promote the positive aspects of this state.
Simply get rid of the Advertiser, and replace it with a newspaper that doesn't have an IQ of 12. :twisted:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#282 Post by Will » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:47 pm

fabricator wrote:I know a way to attact more people to SA, and promote the positive aspects of this state.
Simply get rid of the Advertiser, and replace it with a newspaper that doesn't have an IQ of 12. :twisted:
But every state has a News Limited paper. And they're all crap.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#283 Post by fabricator » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:17 pm

Will wrote:
fabricator wrote:I know a way to attact more people to SA, and promote the positive aspects of this state.
But every state has a News Limited paper. And they're all crap.
Yes news limited is an example of what happens when Journalism meets Cronyism, its obvious they weren't employed for their writing skills.

Yes but every other state has a fairfax paper as well, except us.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#284 Post by SRW » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:11 pm

fabricator wrote:
Yes but every other state has a fairfax paper as well, except us.
'fraid not. Apart from the Fin Review, Fairfax has dailies only in NSW, VIC and the ACT.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#285 Post by Wayno » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:29 pm

Seems there is a "Travel to Adelaide" spread in the Sydney Morning Herald (SMH) newspaper today. Here's a taste of each article:

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-fea ... -h85g.html
  • David Sly traces the origins of the capital’s culinary culture.

Walking through the lively Adelaide Central Market provides a fascinating snapshot of the city's diverse culinary heritage. Only steps away from the 250 market stalls housed beneath one roof in the centre of the city, you can dine on authentic Mumbai tandoori goat, savour a steaming bowl of Vietnam's national dish, pho bo, graze on plates of Greek mezes or simply enjoy an unadulterated bowl of spaghetti bolognaise from a stall that first served this “exotic” dish to Adelaidians in 1957
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-fea ... -h85b.html
  • From his early morning caffeine fix through to stumps, Mark Chipperfield finds much to enjoy in this elegant, laid-back capital.

Adelaide is perhaps Australia's most misunderstood capital city – either seen as a bastion of conservatism or as a mecca for artists, gourmands, wine-lovers and other hedonists.

Either way, the visitor will find much to enjoy in and around this elegant, compact and supremely laid-back city, which can easily be explored on foot or by hopping on a tram to the seaside suburb of Glenelg – although a hire car is handy if you want to explore the nearby Adelaide Hills.
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-fea ... -h85e.html
  • Winsor Dobbin surveys the menu for a week of food, wine and fresh produce with the return of Tasting Australia.

Tasting Australia, one of the biggest festivals of fine wine and food in the Asia-Pacific region, returns to Adelaide from April 29 to May 6.

The festival is billed as a showcase of the best Australia has in food, wine, beer, the culinary arts, hospitality, travel and lifestyle – but anyone visiting needs to be ready to go on a diet afterwards.
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-fea ... -h85f.html
  • Sue and Sean Delaney have two passions in life – wine and nature. So you could say they have achieved a perfect blend of their passions in their vineyard, Sinclair's Gully, one of only two eco-certified wineries in Australia.

Since buying the 10-hectare property at Norton Summit in the Adelaide Hills 11 years ago, the Delaneys have lavished effort on restoring the bushland and learning the art of making wine.
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-fea ... -h85c.html
  • Off the wine lovers' beaten track, Winsor Dobbin finds there are plenty of hidden gems deserving attention.

The Clare Valley, Coonawarra and Langhorne Creek are among Australia's finest wine-producing regions, home to some of our leading winemakers and most familiar brands. All three, however, suffer from being slightly off the beaten track in comparison to the Barossa and McLaren Vale.
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-fea ... -h85d.html
  • David Sly stops short of the cellar door to explore the boutique wine lists at a host of slick city bars.

Before venturing into the vineyards that circle Adelaide, visitors can get a taste for celebrated South Australian wines at a new generation of sleek city wine bars. With enthusiastic owners and staff steeped in vinous knowledge, these little havens encourage you to lose yourself in a few glasses of exceptional wine.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.