Vision - Britannia Roundabout

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

Re: Solving the Britannia Roundabout Mess

#91 Post by Splashmo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:13 pm

Please tell me I'm not crazy. If you're travelling on Dequetteville Tce heading south, you can only turn right onto Fullarton Road from the right lane - if you're in the left lane you MUST either turn left onto Fullarton Road (Kent Town) or onto Kensington Road. Drivers in the right lane can go straight ahead to Kensington Road. And yet, everybody seems to continue south to Fullarton Road from the left lane, even though as a driver in the right lane I can exit onto Kensington Road (and probably cause an accident hitting someone illegally turning right).

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#92 Post by Aidan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:32 pm

Splashmo wrote:Please tell me I'm not crazy. If you're travelling on Dequetteville Tce heading south, you can only turn right onto Fullarton Road from the right lane - if you're in the left lane you MUST either turn left onto Fullarton Road (Kent Town) or onto Kensington Road. Drivers in the right lane can go straight ahead to Kensington Road. And yet, everybody seems to continue south to Fullarton Road from the left lane, even though as a driver in the right lane I can exit onto Kensington Road (and probably cause an accident hitting someone illegally turning right).
You're not crazy, you're simply wrong. The straight ahead option from Dequetteville Terrace is Fullarton Road (South), which you can access from either lane.

Kensington Road is a left turn option, only accessible from the left lane. So is Fullarton Road (North) but very little traffic goes that way.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#93 Post by Splashmo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:41 pm

Aidan wrote:You're not crazy, you're simply wrong. The straight ahead option from Dequetteville Terrace is Fullarton Road (South), which you can access from either lane.

Kensington Road is a left turn option, only accessible from the left lane. So is Fullarton Road (North) but very little traffic goes that way.
No, that's not true. Have a look on Nearmap - the right turn arrow is clearly only in the right lane. If that right arrow is not for Fullarton Road (South) then what is it for - back around to Wakefield Rd?

You can also see the lane divider showing that drivers in the left lane must exit at Kensington Rd.

The signage on Dequetteville Tce also indicates the right lane is for Fullarton Road, and the left lane is for Kensington Rd.

Aidan

#94 Post by Aidan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:03 am

Splashmo wrote:
Aidan wrote:You're not crazy, you're simply wrong. The straight ahead option from Dequetteville Terrace is Fullarton Road (South), which you can access from either lane.

No, that's not true. Have a look on Nearmap - the right turn arrow is clearly only in the right lane. If that right arrow is not for Fullarton Road (South) then what is it for - back around to Wakefield Rd?
Of course! And though there's unlikely to be much traffic going that way, there's also unlikely to be much turning left onto Fullarton Road (North).
You can also see the lane divider showing that drivers in the left lane must exit at Kensington Rd.
That looks to me like the markings they have on all SA's laned roundabouts to show that the traffic leaving the roundabout has right of way. After a collision on a roundabout it was determined in court that the old (circular) lane markings were ambiguous.
The signage on Dequetteville Tce also indicates the right lane is for Fullarton Road, and the left lane is for Kensington Rd.
True. The fact that there's no option those signs mention to be acceptable from both lanes may even indicate that it hasn't even been officially determined which lane the straight ahead option is.

Complicating things further is the bus lane. The fact that it's on the left and some of the buses from it are turning into Fullarton Road (S) seems to show that this is the straight ahead option... except that buses turning onto Dequetteville Terrace from Kensington Road often do so from the wrong lane, so that's clearly an unreliable way of determining it.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

mokeystyley
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#95 Post by mokeystyley » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:44 pm

so a simple solution to solving the Britannia Roundabout Mess would be to make road markings and signage clear???

Waewick

#96 Post by Waewick » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:04 am

I'm no good on photo shop but my idea for fixing the stupid round about is pretty basic.

I would realign fullarton road to go down Angas Road (cutting dequetteville terrace short by about 500 metres)

the existing exit off to Fullarton Road it shut off with that section of road renamed Fullarton Court.

The Corner of Dequetteville Terrace and the new Fullarton Road now gets a set of lights - with left turn at any time to allow traffic flow along that road.

That will enable a normal set of stop lights to be installed at Corner of Wakefield and Fullarton Roads.

to me that would be a fairly cheap and quick fix pending the aquisition of some small sits around the roundabot to enable an underpass :lol:

mutt
High Rise Poster!

New Plan for Britannia Roundabout

#97 Post by mutt » Thu May 17, 2012 9:36 pm

when is it going to dawn on these idiots that the real problem with the Britannia Roundabout is that its not round?
make it round and the problems go away.
New plan for Britannia roundabout
Emily Griffiths - Eastern Courier Messenger
May 17, 2012 12:13PM

The Britannia Roundabout Action Group is looking to find a solution for the intersection.

THE Britannia roundabout has stumped Adelaide's best engineers for 50 years, but perhaps a woman from the other side of town has the answer to the riddle of the roundabout.

Speaking to an intimate crowd of about 20 at St Theodore’s Church hall, last week, Sarah Rutherford unveiled her solution. Ms Rutherford, who lives in the West Torrens Council area, wants the roundabout ripped up and replaced with lights and two smaller traffic islands, the Eastern Courier Messenger reports.

Dequetteville Tce would be blocked off, while the junction of Wakefield St and Fullarton and Kensington roads would become a four-way intersection with traffic lights.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... public_rss

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: New Plan for Britannia Roundabout

#98 Post by AG » Thu May 17, 2012 10:37 pm

Cut off Dequetteville Terrace and the main inner eastern city bypass route for the sake of making the area look neater? Not sure if serious...

Gladstone has a temporary solution at its main troublesome roundabout (Kin Kora), where three of the four approach legs have traffic signals (yellow and red lights only) that guard the approaches during peak hours. It's the same approach used at the Blythewood Road and Old Belair Road at Torrens Park. It may be worth looking at as a temporary measure before doing anything more extensive.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#99 Post by monotonehell » Fri May 18, 2012 12:48 am

The solution to this problem was posted on this forum some years ago by none other than our Deputy Lord Mayor...
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... =45#p32335

Dunno why we haven't done this.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#100 Post by mutt » Fri May 18, 2012 1:45 am

AG wrote:Cut off Dequetteville Terrace and the main inner eastern city bypass route for the sake of making the area look neater? Not sure if serious...

Gladstone has a temporary solution at its main troublesome roundabout (Kin Kora), where three of the four approach legs have traffic signals (yellow and red lights only) that guard the approaches during peak hours. It's the same approach used at the Blythewood Road and Old Belair Road at Torrens Park. It may be worth looking at as a temporary measure before doing anything more extensive.
i am quite serious
acquire a little bit of land and ensure the roundabout is round

no need to cut off any of the roads entering it, the roundness will avert the danger, this is the whole point of a roundabout

Waewick

#101 Post by Waewick » Fri May 18, 2012 8:16 am

monotonehell wrote:The solution to this problem was posted on this forum some years ago by none other than our Deputy Lord Mayor...

exactly - I have looked at that option as well - it appears to make absolute perfect sense......

hence why it probably want be taken up, we all know governments of all persuasion hate common sense.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#102 Post by Wayno » Fri May 18, 2012 11:52 am

Waewick wrote:
monotonehell wrote:The solution to this problem was posted on this forum some years ago by none other than our Deputy Lord Mayor...

exactly - I have looked at that option as well - it appears to make absolute perfect sense......
+1 and that was David's first post on S-A if i remember rightly - what a way to start!

Time for an S-A submission along the same lines?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick

#103 Post by Waewick » Fri May 18, 2012 12:49 pm

I can't see why not

given it makes so much sense. the only issue being the locals on Angas street.

However I would suggest that part of the road doesn't get THAT much traffic.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#104 Post by Archer » Fri May 18, 2012 1:25 pm

I think you would be suprised by just how much traffic uses that section of Fullarton Road, right across the day, but particularly during peak times.

I would be fairly certain Angas Street residents would not be impressed.

It may also be a standard emergency service vehicle route, I am not certain of this but I know Fullarton road up closer to the Parade interesection frequently has emergency vehicles running along it. If that is the Case, Emergency services may have something to say about it as well.

Waewick

#105 Post by Waewick » Fri May 18, 2012 2:50 pm

I'd rather have emergency services use a different route.

If it was up to me, I would shut down the whole section of road for direct traffic. Shocking piece of road.