Vision - Britannia Roundabout

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Vision - Britannia Roundabout

#1 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:00 pm

I get sooo frustrated everytime i drive through the Britannia Roundabout - long delays, heaps of accidents, risky driver manouvres, what a mess!

Obviously, Transport SA had a plan back in 2004 ($8.84m) but it ate into the parklands and involved traffic lights (groan).
Then Pat Conlon shelved plans in 2006 because the proposed underpass was a budget buster at $100m (how is this possible when the bakewell underpass cost approx half of that amount?)

Please please - how can we fix this situation - surely for under $50m?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Solving the Britannia Roundabout Mess

#2 Post by AG » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm of the opinion that the Fullarton Road branch of the roundabout should be closed. Following that, these changes would also be made:

- The other 4 approaches modified to form a typical 4-approach intersection, with no right turn from Dequetteville Terrace into Wakefield Road.
- Access to Fullarton Road from Dequetteville Terrace would only be a left-in, left-out access.
- Flinders Street should be altered so that Clearways is in effect at all times rather than just peak hour.
- The intersection of Flinders Street, Fullarton Road, Parade West and The Parade would be altered to a four approach intersection with the southern part of Fullarton Road diverted with a left-in, left-out access from Flinders Street.

The above changes would divert Fullarton Road traffic (between Britannia Roundabout and The Parade) to the excess capacity that currently exists on Dequetteville Terrace.

Image of changes:

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by AtD » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:04 pm

Britannia isn't that bad, it's just the angle that's the problem.

Have a look at this one in Melbourne. Keep in mind that trams always have right of way, regardless of which direction they're coming from or if they're on the roundabout or not.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by AG » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:25 pm

Try this one for size. This is located at Reservoir in Melbourne's northern suburbs. There are 4 roads intersecting on a railway crossing at awkward angles.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by JamesXander » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 pm

Holy crap...

Why don't they just block off a road at the Round about, cut into the island and make it a Traffic light?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:27 am

I remember back one million years ago when I was in junior High School the State Government (I think it was) held a competition in schools. The kids had to develop an idea that would fix the Britannia Roundabout. I guess even back then no one in office had any bright ideas. School kids, the ultimate outsource.

How about something along these radical lines?..

...With a roundabout (admittedly at right angles) Apparently the water fountains become taller when the traffic is heavy.

...your first reaction is to say things like "that's crazy", then your second reaction is to think it would only work on relatively low traffic places, but they are introducing this concept in place in central London.

(Oh and hello board, first post *waves* )
Last edited by monotonehell on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by AG » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:42 am

Welcome monotonehell, :D

Those videos give some brilliant examples of how to have pedestrian and road traffic interacting better, but in the context of the Britannia Roundabout, I think it is a bit irrelevant given the complete lack of pedestrian traffic in the area.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#8 Post by Cruise » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:10 am

Give way to your right and leave the roundabout in the lane you entered.

it's not rocket surgery!!!

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#9 Post by rhino » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:22 am

AtD wrote: Have a look at this one in Melbourne. Keep in mind that trams always have right of way, regardless of which direction they're coming from or if they're on the roundabout or not.
You know, I've driven that roundabout at Flemington Road many times and not given it a second thought, but I do find the Britannia Roundabout intimidating and try to avoid it at all costs!

Which direction or road/s is the bulk of the traffic coming from / going to at the Britannia Roundabout? Obviously Fullerton Road North is where the least traffic is coming and going from. Is the bulk of traffic using D'ville Tce/Fullerton Rd, or Wakefield Rd/Kensington Rd, or Wakefield Rd/Fullerton Rd? This is an important question if thinking of undergrounding one of the routes - which one?
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Wayno » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:28 am

rhino wrote:
AtD wrote: Have a look at this one in Melbourne. Keep in mind that trams always have right of way, regardless of which direction they're coming from or if they're on the roundabout or not.
You know, I've driven that roundabout at Flemington Road many times and not given it a second thought, but I do find the Britannia Roundabout intimidating and try to avoid it at all costs!

Which direction or road/s is the bulk of the traffic coming from / going to at the Britannia Roundabout? Obviously Fullerton Road North is where the least traffic is coming and going from. Is the bulk of traffic using D'ville Tce/Fullerton Rd, or Wakefield Rd/Kensington Rd, or Wakefield Rd/Fullerton Rd? This is an important question if thinking of undergrounding one of the routes - which one?
I'm not sure of traffic volumes, but presumably any work at Britannia Roundabout would need to consider the impact of a Victoria Square redesign - especially if Wakefield/Grote streets were not linearly joined anymore...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by AtD » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:32 pm

Traffic volume data is here:
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/transpor ... colour.pdf
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/transpor ... olumes.asp

Annual average 24 Hour two-way traffic volumes leading to/from Britannia:
Wakefield Road: 16800
Dequetteville Tce: 24100
Fullarton Road (North): 18100
Kensington Road: 18700
Fullarton Road (South): 41900

Which suggests the majority of traffic is using it as the ring route.

Ho Really

#12 Post by Ho Really » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:06 pm

One solution I thought of quickly:

Split Wakefield Road in two at about the exit of the circuit chicane with one road heading northeast to Angas Street, Kent Town to form a crossroad with Dequetteville Terrace, the other heading southeast to Grant Avenue, Rose Park to form a junction with Fullarton Road. This last piece of road can run down the present pit straight. The rondabout could then be eliminated and turned into a normal stoplight controlled 4-road intersection. The piece of Wakefield road from the chicane to the rondabout could be closed and used only for the Clipsal 500 and for bike riding into the city and maybe car parking with an entrance from the city end.

Cheers

P.S. I know many Parkland Preservation people may get their knickers in a twist, but what the heck...stuff them.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by monotonehell » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:20 am

Ho Really wrote:Split Wakefield Road in two at about the exit of the circuit chicane with one road heading northeast to Angas Street, Kent Town to form a crossroad with Dequetteville Terrace, the other heading southeast to Grant Avenue, Rose Park to form a junction with Fullarton Road. This last piece of road can run down the present pit straight. The rondabout could then be eliminated and turned into a normal stoplight controlled 4-road intersection. The piece of Wakefield road from the chicane to the rondabout could be closed and used only for the Clipsal 500 and for bike riding into the city and maybe car parking with an entrance from the city end.
I don't follow this. Do you mean to place a branch of Wakefield Road through the middle of Victoria Park Racecourse? Grant Ave is about half a kilometre south of the roundabout.

Shooting another branch through to Angas Street might work. There's not much on that corner of the Parklands, and a tradeoff might be possible by returning the abandoned portion of Wakefield Road to Parkland.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Ho Really

#14 Post by Ho Really » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:53 am

monotonehell wrote:I don't follow this. Do you mean to place a branch of Wakefield Road through the middle of Victoria Park Racecourse? Grant Ave is about half a kilometre south of the roundabout.
Yes, using the current pit straight of the Clipsal 500 circuit. It's in the general direction of the Grant Avenue and Fullarton Road T-junction. All that has to be done is to extend that piece of road (circuit). All traffic wanting to go south from the city will use this branch. All traffic into the city from the south will do the same.
Shooting another branch through to Angas Street might work. There's not much on that corner of the Parklands, and a tradeoff might be possible by returning the abandoned portion of Wakefield Road to Parkland.
This is not a new idea. It was thrown about many, many years ago. The remainder of Wakefield Road could be closed off and returned to the parklands, but if the Clipsal 500 keeps going it would be best kept open as a carpark and for cyclists accessing the city from Kensington Road.

Maybe, I say maybe, if this solution was considered there could be a reason to build a multi-purpose (Victoria Park Grandstand) building on the current pit straight. Although, I am still of the idea it would be a white elephant if used for once-a-year car races. My suggestion to open up the pit straight to car traffic means the horse racing track would have to be reconfigured inside the present car circuit. If the will is there it could be done.

Cheers

Ho Really

#15 Post by Ho Really » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:17 pm

Another idea thought of a long time ago was undergrounding north-south traffic on Fullarton Road. This would eliminate one road from the equation turning the roundabout into a 4-road stoplight-controlled intersection. The only issue I see here is the width of Fullarton Road north of the roundabout. Some land would probably have to be acquired.

Cheers