Vision - Britannia Roundabout

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Solving the Britannia Roundabout Mess

#61 Post by Ho Really » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Shuz's out of left-field vision is going a bit too far. David's is much better and is on the lines of a couple of others here. One issue though. When they run the Clipsal 500 down Dequetteville Terrace, Fullarton Road would have to be open. It will form part of the eastern section of the inner ring road. Some buses would also use this route.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#62 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:58 pm

Ho Really wrote:Shuz's out of left-field vision is going a bit too far. David's is much better and is on the lines of a couple of others here. One issue though. When they run the Clipsal 500 down Dequetteville Terrace, Fullarton Road would have to be open. It will form part of the eastern section of the inner ring road. Some buses would also use this route.

Cheers
Arrrr, so put some traffic restrictions like nice planter pots with shrubbery there and forklift them out of place when the Clipsal comes around? So when the racetrack's ensconced, we'd have long way around diversions via Botanic Road, North Tce (Kent Town), Fullarton Road, Greenhill Road and Hutt Road. (That is a long way around - are we sure my idea of moving the Clipsal to Elizabeth is a no go? ;) )
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron

#63 Post by Omicron » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:06 am

monotonehell wrote:
Ho Really wrote:Shuz's out of left-field vision is going a bit too far. David's is much better and is on the lines of a couple of others here. One issue though. When they run the Clipsal 500 down Dequetteville Terrace, Fullarton Road would have to be open. It will form part of the eastern section of the inner ring road. Some buses would also use this route.

Cheers
Arrrr, so put some traffic restrictions like nice planter pots with shrubbery there and forklift them out of place when the Clipsal comes around? So when the racetrack's ensconced, we'd have long way around diversions via Botanic Road, North Tce (Kent Town), Fullarton Road, Greenhill Road and Hutt Road. (That is a long way around - are we sure my idea of moving the Clipsal to Elizabeth is a no go? ;) )
Now that various Cougar Bourbon or McKenna mixed concotions are on the way out, there won't be any more Clipsal.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#64 Post by Cruise » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:08 am

Omicron wrote:
monotonehell wrote:

Cheers
Now that various Cougar Bourbon or McKenna mixed concotions are on the way out, there won't be any more Clipsal.
There will still be a clipsal, we just have to implement monotonehell's plan for the new clipsal track.....

Omicron

#65 Post by Omicron » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:15 am

Cruise wrote:
Omicron wrote:
monotonehell wrote:Arrrr, so put some traffic restrictions like nice planter pots with shrubbery there and forklift them out of place when the Clipsal comes around? So when the racetrack's ensconced, we'd have long way around diversions via Botanic Road, North Tce (Kent Town), Fullarton Road, Greenhill Road and Hutt Road. (That is a long way around - are we sure my idea of moving the Clipsal to Elizabeth is a no go? ;) )
There will still be a clipsal, we just have to implement monotonehell's plan for the new clipsal track.....
What will they all drink? Bacardi Breezers?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#66 Post by Cruise » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:21 am

Omicron wrote:

and VB....

Omicron

#67 Post by Omicron » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:37 am

Cruise wrote:
Omicron wrote:

and VB....
Ah, I had forgotten such things existed. :wink:

Speaking of Bacardi Breezers, I was mightily annoyed that that was the only drink I found palatable in the Garden of Unearthly Delights this year. No Double Blacks? Sacrilege!

Matt Taghavi
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#68 Post by Matt Taghavi » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:02 pm

Britannia roundabout`s problem could be addressed to many things such as its geometric design, the sharp angle in two of its approaches, and permitted tangential entry at Fullarton South to Dequetteville Terrace . Therefore long insecure movements (safety) and long queue (delay) appear at this intersection.
As solving both of these problems simultaneously doesn’t seem to be reasonably priced and since safety is known as the key issue which has parallel impact on queue lengths and imposed delay time, a partially signalizing of both approaches (Wakefield Rd. and Fullarton South Rd) is suggested. This is very likely to reduce Frequency and severity of intersection conflicts.

By Signalizing these two roads, one of the most hazardous conflict points would be removed from the intersection as well as tangential entry that could be limited to the least probable conflicts. In this case by the time that Wakefield is experiencing its Red time, Dequetteville Terrace would have enough time to flow without any conflicts with Wakefield stream and when it turns to green time it has its inherent priority.

This traffic management method needs more data investigation and queue analysis but I guess it would significantly increase the level of secure driving and might consequently reduce delay time. My personal site inspection says that these two major roads delay (Wakefield and Fullarton South) is affected by kind of miss drivers` judgment wanting to take a proper risk to find an acceptable gap. The same miss judgment is also the main reason of crashes at this site.

Regards Matt

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by AtD » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:30 pm

An excellent first post. Welcome to the forums.

Having a think about your proposal, and if I understand it correctly you’re suggesting the Wakefield Road and Dequettiville Terrace approaches be signalled. This could only be done if all traffic on the roundabout were diverted onto Wakefield Road and not permitted to continue around to Dequetteville Terrace. Alternatively, you would need to place signals on the roundabout itself, which would lead to driver confusion. A green signal implies right of way for through traffic, when in fact, in the current configuration they would still have to give way to this turning traffic already on the roundabout.

An alternative proposal is one from Melbourne’s book. Inner Melbourne has many roundabouts far busier than Britannia (such as this one or this one), and these are sometimes signalled. Instead of the usual red-amber-green set up, the signals are only either red or flashing amber. The flashing amber implies drivers must give way to traffic already in the roundabout (as well as trams and pedestrians). The red signal limits incoming flows to prevent conflicts with the major peak hour flows.

The basic point is the reaction of drivers to a green light is to floor it and ignore all oncoming traffic. Therefore, green lights are removed.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#70 Post by Wayno » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:33 pm

i personally like David's idea from page 4 of this forum (by david on Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:14 pm). Simple & inexpensive, although it does push quite a lot of traffic down what is currently a side-street.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#71 Post by AtD » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:40 pm

I agree. It also means less interruption to the city ring route, which is the route of the majority of traffic through the roundabout.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#72 Post by Cruise » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:41 pm

I must say again. leave it how it is and teach motorists how to drive

Matt Taghavi
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#73 Post by Matt Taghavi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:10 pm

Thank you AtD:
What I mean by partially signalizing was to signalize Fullarton south and Wakefield Rd.with no other extra interference. At the first glance, it doesnt seems to be effective and I know that it needs more crash investigation and data over viewing to prove that this would be effective to ban traffic from Fullerton when Wakefield Traffic entry is allowed.
This signal control is expected to reduce severity of crashes and limiting the number of confliction points at the intersection.As a result of improving safety, delay time would be reduced a bit.

urban
Legendary Member!

#74 Post by urban » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:21 pm

If you are going to modify this intersection then I think David's suggestion is the best one.

The other solution is to police the intersection and fine all the stupid pricks turning right from the left lane. Drivers would soon learn and the govt would have a great new source of income.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#75 Post by Shuz » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:32 pm

I still remain adamant that my idea is the best one. (At a cost though).