#VIS: Inner-City Stadium/Riverbank Precinct

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #VIS: Inner-City Stadium/Riverbank Precinct

#511 Post by AG » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:17 pm

Paulns wrote: Can I be the one to ask the most obvious question here... Where the Hell are certain people pulling this 1 billion dollar stupid figure from?????????????

If they can build this Birds nest stadium for the Beijing Olympics for less than US$500 million with a capacity of 91,000 people, where is this stupid $1 billion figure coming from???????????????????????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_National_Stadium
The conditions of the construction sector in China are significantly different from those in Australia. The cost of construction for a similarly sized project in Australia is significantly greater than in China. Labour is one of the biggest factors, the cost of labour in Australia on construction projects is far greater than in China. There are also bidding costs on some projects, which add significant costs to public projects here in Australia. Differing conditions on every individual construction site also affect final cost. Additional costs might result from soil remediation, alterations to existing infrastructure and services, demolition, delays due to protests, poor weather, delays due to safety concerns, etc. The list goes on.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#512 Post by monotonehell » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:36 pm

Paulins, what AG says is very right. The average construction worker on the Bird's Nest earned around US$90 a week...
http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 61295.aspx
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#513 Post by Cruise » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:53 pm

monotonehell wrote:Paulins, what AG says is very right. The average construction worker on the Bird's Nest earned around US$90 a week...
http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 61295.aspx
gotta love communism.....

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#514 Post by Paulns » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:40 pm

monotonehell wrote:The average construction worker on the Bird's Nest earned around US$90 a week...
I know and it saddens me that, that is the case. Never the less theres still a $500 million dollar difference. I'm no genius but $1 billion is still a lot of money for a say 60,000 seat stadium on a prime piece of land that is already avaliable to the government.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#515 Post by Wayno » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:53 pm

I used the Commonwealth Bank online "Home Loan" calculator to figure out the payments on a $1b loan. :)

Foley will need to find $840,000 per month for 30years. But paying $300 per year for the "Wealth Management Package" reduces the interest by 0.7% and drops the monthly payments to $790,000! Quite the bargain really...

Of course he'd have to live at the stadium, otherwise it will be classified as an investment property and he'll have to pay income tax, and will be up for CGT should he ever sell.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#516 Post by monotonehell » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:29 pm

Wayno wrote:I used the Commonwealth Bank online "Home Loan" calculator to figure out the payments on a $1b loan. :)

Foley will need to find $840,000 per month for 30years. But paying $300 per year for the "Wealth Management Package" reduces the interest by 0.7% and drops the monthly payments to $790,000! Quite the bargain really...

Of course he'd have to live at the stadium, otherwise it will be classified as an investment property and he'll have to pay income tax, and will be up for CGT should he ever sell.
Remind me to double this week's regular beating. :roll:

:lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#517 Post by omada » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:09 am

Adelaide *freakin* oval..

we don't need another stadium, soon this will be at 45,000 capacity, which is good enough for now, is a ground where soccer fixtures could be held??? ... although yes I am completely missing out the fact that no AFL games can be played there.. surely there is a way

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#518 Post by SRW » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:19 pm

omada wrote:Adelaide *freakin* oval..

we don't need another stadium, soon this will be at 45,000 capacity, which is good enough for now, is a ground where soccer fixtures could be held??? ... although yes I am completely missing out the fact that no AFL games can be played there.. surely there is a way
I'm not really interested in buying into this debate, but perhaps by the State Government withholding any funds for Football Park until the SANFL and AFL renegotiate their pact and allow games to be played at the Oval?
Keep Adelaide Weird

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#519 Post by Düsseldorfer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:09 pm

well as long as soccer/rugby games can be played at Adelaide oval cause i don't really care about AFL, that game is just AwFuL! :P

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#520 Post by Cruise » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:41 pm

If you honestly think Adelaide Oval is a good venue for rugby and soccer, you must have rocks in your head.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#521 Post by Düsseldorfer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Cruise wrote:If you honestly think Adelaide Oval is a good venue for rugby and soccer, you must have rocks in your head.
well no, it's not the best arena in the world for Soccer or Rugby...imo best arena for soccer is the Allianz Arena, or maybe Wembley Stadium. But Adelaide oval/hindmarsh stadiums are decent enough, but to be honest i don't go to many games in Australia, i prefer to watch them on TV here, but in Europe i almost always go to the game mainly because of the atmosphere of a "full" 60,000 seat stadium

Any new "inner city" stadium in Adelaide is probably at least 10-12 years away from being planned, there are too many other things that need the funding, such as Health, Education, Transportation/Infrastructure once all these are fixed up, a new city stadium should definitly be considered.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#522 Post by Just build it » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:31 am

Adelaide Oval offers even less joy than AAMI on a wet winter night or scorching hot day and the new western stand won't change much. AO has less protection, less toilets, less parking for the masses who still have to drive and tear up the grass, less everything bar public transport and tradition. Unbelievably good location but it's an ultra-conservative century old cricket ground which is great but not up to the job of a modern stadium. The bonus to something all-purpose, all-weather like Telstra Dome is that it can comfortably hold any event, not just sports. Festivals, concerts, conventions, award nights...it can do anything asked of it and is booked and working all year round.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#523 Post by Professor » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:19 am

Yawn...

Why the constant comments on a stadium like docklands? It's not goinmg to happen.

Adelaide Oval is spending $80m and Football Park the same amount on improvements. There may be more spent on the soccer stadium and that's about it.

Let's move on - or at least start another thread catagory called "dreams".

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#524 Post by Just build it » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:34 pm

Is this an Inner-City Stadium 'Vision' thread or not? If so, then this IS the dream thread yet people still get their knickers in a bunch about it. If it's only cool to be a cynical 'realist', why even bother with Vision threads at all.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#525 Post by Shuz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:21 pm

I think the best strategy to resolve this issue is by focusing on the medium term (10 years) timeframe for such a project to eventuate.

The State Goverment should withhold its $100m funding towards AAMI Stadium and utilise that into a Inner City Stadium Fund. Within a year or two, there should be an accelerated investment into Adelaide Oval to ready the transition of AFL matches into the venue. After this time, there should be a gradual release of development land to gain financial advantages which would go towards the Fund (further advantaged by increasing interest, allowing for compensation of monies to the SANFL during this time). Within 5 years, there would be enough money from each Budget investement and interest gained to finance the construction of a new inner-city stadium, which would take at least 3-5 years for feasibility, construction etc. Each Budget commitment thereafter would continue to compensate the SANFL, provide maintenance to Adelaide Oval and cover rising costs and/or blowouts during the construction of the new venue. During this time, Adelaide Oval would continue to be the AFL's anchor venue, until the opening of the new stadium, which would then in PPP arrangement with the SANFL over a lease to which the asset would be operated by the SANFL.

If you take into consideration of attendance figures for the last 3 football seasons, they have actually been on a marginal decline.
The first figure is the seasonal average, and the bracketed figure is the highest crowd recorded (finals figures not counted).
  • AC 2006: 42,455 (47,487)
    PA 2006: 26,955 (41,549)

AC 2007: 41,992 (43,915)
    PA 2007: 27,870 (39,270)

AC 2008: 40,447 (45,524)
    PA 2008: 25,636 (38,302)
This highlights a few things:
Less people are going to AAMI Stadium - poor facilities, transport inconvinience, armchair support rising, and increased ticketing costs.
> Incentive for a new stadium to be built, so that with the provision of better facilities, attendance will increase again.
The figures are falling down to a capacity which Adelaide Oval can sustain temporarily until a new inner city stadium is built - seasonally adjusted.
Which fit into the context of the proposed plan above.