Mini Golf on Festival Centre

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
JaySun
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Mini Golf on Festival Centre

#1 Post by JaySun » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:15 pm

As I'm sure many of you have noticed, there is much to be desired about the space between the festival center and parliament house. Once the location for Adelaide's long gone public baths, this concrete wasteland of outdated and uninspiring art has very little to offer for the local citizens of Adelaide and its visiting tourists. Due to the central location of this space and its high accessibility, it seems foolish to neglect when it holds such potential for the city.
Of coarse it can be utilized in many different ways that can add to the city and attract tourists. One of these is the placement of a mini golf coarse, the green colour alone being a cool welcoming sight.
Safety fencing would naturally be placed around the sight to prevent children from wandering onto nearby King William Street. Shade sails would also be another consideration to protect players from the elements.

:2cents: A reasonable fee at the gate should ensure that operating expenses are met, the nominated figure ensuring that all budgets are accommodated for.
:2cents: Corporate sponsorship would also be an important consideration in terms of project funding.

:idea: If you have any other ideas regarding this particular site, feel free to let us know.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Mini Golf on Festival Centre

#2 Post by crawf » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:33 pm

This should have been posted in the Vision subforum, and I'm sorry but a mini golf course on that plaza is a bad idea. It would be a wasted opportunity.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by monotonehell » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:36 pm

JaySun wrote:As I'm sure many of you have noticed, there is much to be desired about the space between the festival center and parliament house. Once the location for Adelaide's long gone public baths, this concrete wasteland of outdated and uninspiring art has very little to offer for the local citizens of Adelaide and its visiting tourists. Due to the central location of this space and its high accessibility, it seems foolish to neglect when it holds such potential for the city.
Of coarse it can be utilized in many different ways that can add to the city and attract tourists. One of these is the placement of a mini golf coarse, the green colour alone being a cool welcoming sight.
Safety fencing would naturally be placed around the sight to prevent children from wandering onto nearby King William Street. Shade sails would also be another consideration to protect players from the elements.

:2cents: A reasonable fee at the gate should ensure that operating expenses are met, the nominated figure ensuring that all budgets are accommodated for.
:2cents: Corporate sponsorship would also be an important consideration in terms of project funding.

:idea: If you have any other ideas regarding this particular site, feel free to let us know.
I don't like to sound like a poo-pooing nimby, but poopoo and not in my (festival centre's) back yard . ;)

Do you realistically think that a minigolf course fits in with the activities and kind of culture of an arts area?

Perhaps I'd support another idea to replace the ageing lego blocks, but a minigolf course is just not right.
Last edited by monotonehell on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Edgar » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:43 pm

your idea might suits better at Vic Sq :)
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by monotonehell » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:58 pm

Edgar wrote:your idea might suits better at Vic Sq :)
lol rude.

I just realised that we all sound mean and grumpy - I blame the heat.

WELCOME to the board JaySun ;) Keep the ideas coming they wont all be bad. ;)

bs
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#6 Post by bs » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:18 pm

It’s not a bad idea, I agree that minigolf would make the area much more vibrant and colourful and would be a big improvement on the present space which looks ugly and is used for nothing.

The mini golf could incorporate various sculptures/structures, green shrubs and water flows that would make the area look quite attractive.

If not mini-golf what should go there? Something should be done.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Wayno » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:33 pm

as a temporary low cost solution: a few beach volleyball courts and an outside bar made of palm tress that sells cocktails in coconut shells! Get a local competition going and the place would be pumping :)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by Omicron » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:53 pm

Wayno wrote:as a temporary low cost solution: a few beach volleyball courts and an outside bar made of palm tress that sells cocktails in coconut shells! Get a local competition going and the place would be pumping :)
I'll sit and watch other people play volleyball while I have some of those cocktails in coconuts. 8)

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by Hippodamus » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:04 pm

It's good to see that people are thinking about ways to improve and better a public space which has been undisputedly underutilised for decades in Adelaide. I have often pondered what best solution for this large urban wasteland, which is arguably in one of the most prime positions in Adelaide..

I personally don't see a mini golf course as a solution for many reasons mainly relating to privatisation of public space, and the question of whether this would actually be a feasible and viable solution. Mini Golf is also a tad corny, and reminds me of facilities such as Magic Mountain, and attractions that get people excited in large country towns across Australia. Not sure if this is where we want to go with such a prominent space in a city of 1.1 million residents.

I personally believe that this space should be made something more like Federation Square in Melbourne. Currently, Adelaide does not have a public space which is successfully used for large gatherings for people to come together. For example, a place where Adelaideans can gather after an AFL victory, soccer match, or any other major public celebration. When Greece won the soccer back in 2004 for the Euro, hundreds of people gathered on the steps of Parliament House I remember. It was a good location, probably not the most appropriate - but where else to go...

Lets make it into a celebrated public space. Federation Square is a good starting point and role model for this space to evolve from.

love the idea about a competition for art. i am visualing striking contemporary art, piercing into the air, with unusual shapes, contrasting with the architecture of the festival theatre, but sympathetic and complementary to the old character of Parliament House and the Railway Station.

What do you guys think of this idea??

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Wayno » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:27 pm

Hippodamus wrote: <snip>
love the idea about a competition for art. i am visualing striking contemporary art, piercing into the air, with unusual shapes, contrasting with the architecture of the festival theatre, but sympathetic and complementary to the old character of Parliament House and the Railway Station.

What do you guys think of this idea??
interesting concept Hippodamus. This could be another annual festival opportunity. Artists from around the world converge on Adelaide to create and show their statue/sculpture art. The requirement would be that it can handle being out in the weather for an extended period. All the art then stays on site for 12 months til the next competition.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Edgar » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:59 am

A water feature would be a very good way to attract people. People would love to go the water fountains during lunch break, and the kids would love it.

But sorry, draught, water restrictions, ahhh...
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by Norman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:54 pm

Not if the water is reused/recycled.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Edgar » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:29 am

Are the water features at Moseley Sq Glenelg recycled?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:23 pm

Edgar wrote:Are the water features at Moseley Sq Glenelg recycled?
I wondered if they were sea water, after all there's a whole gulf next door?

I haven't been game to go taste them yet. ;)

mrblackrooster
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#15 Post by mrblackrooster » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:55 pm

I personally believe that this space should be made something more like Federation Square in Melbourne. Currently, Adelaide does not have a public space which is successfully used for large gatherings for people to come together. For example, a place where Adelaideans can gather after an AFL victory, soccer match, or any other major public celebration.
Definitely the way to go! revamp the whole area...with flow on to the river bank...cafe's bars restuarants etc
...its begging to be redeveloped! ...has huge potential.
Attachments
federationsq.riverbank.jpg
federationsq.riverbank.jpg (80.79 KiB) Viewed 4424 times