Carnival for Adelaide:P

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

Carnival for Adelaide:P

#1 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sun May 04, 2008 3:03 pm

One of the more exciting and strange festivals in the Rhineland cities of Cologne, Mainz and Düsseldorf is what is known to the Germans as Karneval. It is a short time in February where people for lack of a better word just go crazy, get drunk, dress up (to look as silly as possible) and sing and dance to happy music. The following day they all go to a huge parade where people on floats toss out lollies and toys to the people.

I think in Germany the full festival lasts half of the month but if we were to have it in Adelaide we could do the following:

Day 1: Street parties in the Adelaide CBD with live music, people dress up and get drunk...of course we would need large numbers of riot police to prevent any problems, with luck the happy music will prevent any problems (well it does in Germany lol)...

Day 2: Parade similar to our Christmas pagent in Nov, floats made by local sport clubs, organizations and companies. (Maybe even a Sensational-Adelaide could do float :P)...

wikipedia article:
Rhineland

In the Rhineland festivities developed especially strongly, since it was a way to express subversive anti-Prussian and anti-French thoughts in times of occupation, through parody and mockery. Modern carnival there began in 1823 with the founding of a Carnival Club in Cologne. Most cities and villages of the Rhineland have their own individual Carnival traditions. Nationally famous is the Carnival in Cologne (Köln), Düsseldorf and Mainz.

In the Rhineland, the Carnival season is considered to be the "fifth season of the year", starting at November 11th at exactly 11:11 a.m. (elften elften elf uhr elf- starting time in German)-clubs organize "sessions" which are show events called Prunksitzung with club members or invited guests performing dance, comedy and songs in costumes.

The main event is the street carnival that takes place in the period between the Thursday before Ash Wednesday and Ash Wednesday. Carnival Thursday is called "Altweiber" (old women) or "Wieverfastelovend" (The women's day), in many places Carnival-"fools" take over city halls or municipal government, "wild" women cut mens ties wherever they get hold of them. On the following days, there are parades in the street organized by the local carnival clubs. The highlight of the carnival period however is Rose Monday. Rose Monday is not officially a holiday in the Rhineland, but it is in practice, as most public life comes to a rest and almost all workplaces are closed and shops are only open in the morning or not at all. The biggest parades are on Rose Monday, the famous "Rosenmontagszug" (Rose Monday Parade), e.g. in Cologne, Düsseldorf and many other cities. During these events, hundreds of thousands of people celebrate in the streets at low temperatures, most of them dressed up in costumes. Almost every town has a special carnival cry (Düsseldorf and Mainz: Helau!; Cologne: Alaaf!; Mönchengladbach: Halt Pohl! (hold on to the pole); Rheydt: All Rheydt!).
I think if Adelaide were to seriously get into Karneval it would mean Rundle St/Mall, Hindley St, King William St from Victoria Sq to North Tce and Hindmarsh Sq would have to be closed of to traffic for the massive numbers of people, it would also require the city dry zone to be removed temporarily.

I believe that a fun event like this will attract thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of people into Adelaide from both interstate and overseas...

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Carnival for Adelaide:P

#2 Post by Wayno » Sun May 04, 2008 5:40 pm

It's certainly an interesting idea - An australian version of the Carnevale. Are any other Australian states doing similar at the moment? I know sydney has the gay mardi-gras, so apart from that.

Also, the Rio Carnevale appears to be the BIGGEST event of this type in the world. I know they have floats, and parades by Samba dance schools, but what else do they include as attractions for the event?

Maybe we could do it across 9 days?
  • * 2-days: Family daytime events during the 1st weekend (including the annual Christmas Float Parade)
    * 5-days: A series of events during the week (what would be the focus?)
    * 2-days An Adult focused nighttime Carnivale event across the 2nd weekend.
The best part being it would happen outside of the traditional Jan-Mar party period!

You are right Dusseldorfer, it certainly would attract 1000's of people. I think this deserves idea of the week!
BEST_TROPHY.jpg
BEST_TROPHY.jpg (9.79 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sun May 04, 2008 5:58 pm

Wayno wrote:I think this deserves idea of the week!
BEST_TROPHY.jpg
hahaha thats going straight to the pool room :P

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Norman » Sun May 04, 2008 6:29 pm

It would be nice to have more festivals happening around the year outside the Royal Show. Maybe a "Lichterfest" (Light Show) with fireworks and a laser show. Something like that to celebrate life in SA.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Omicron » Mon May 05, 2008 12:50 am

I think a Sensational Adelaide float should be led through the streets by Mr. Hell parading about in his lederhosen to the uplifting beat of the O-bahn dance.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by Xaragmata » Mon May 05, 2008 12:10 pm

Omicron wrote:I think a Sensational Adelaide float should be led through the streets by Mr. Hell parading about in his lederhosen to the uplifting beat of the O-bahn dance.
The Krewe of Sensational Adelaide!