Adelaide Airport Visions

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Adelaide Airport Visions

#16 Post by Ho Really » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:49 am

Düsseldorfer wrote:Well today's happenings at the Airport got me thinking about a new vision for the airport...

It kinda involves acquiring all property in the suburbs of Netley, West Richmond and some of West Beach to allow the construction of two new runways (running NW to SE) to replace the current runway (which runs NE to SW, Over the City) which could still be kept if needed.

:lol: i need more practice wit photoshop
I doubt very much that AAL will look at lengthening or doubling the 12/30 runway (that runs NW to SE). Two main reasons. 1. The prevailing winds are mostly southwesterly (that's why the 05/23 runway is angled that way). 2. Southeasterly take offs would take you close to the foothills.

BTW your Photoshop skills are fine, you got your message across pretty well.

Cheers

P.S. As for what happened today in regards to all those diverted flights from Melbourne and Sydney, Adelaide Airport needs more tarmac, several more gates/aerobridges for the larger international planes and a decent (much larger) transit lounge to cope with the extra pax. When the hotel comes online some of this will be resolved. The sooner it happens the better.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#17 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:00 pm

Ho Really wrote: P.S. As for what happened today in regards to all those diverted flights from Melbourne and Sydney, Adelaide Airport needs more tarmac, several more gates/aerobridges for the larger international planes and a decent (much larger) transit lounge to cope with the extra pax. When the hotel comes online some of this will be resolved. The sooner it happens the better.

No! that can't happen!

Would somebody please think of those poor Glenelg residents!

ad5
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#18 Post by ad5 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:40 am

Why do you think Ikea, Harbour Town, business park etc were built? Because AAL makes massive amounts from their lease. They probably make more off this than they would a 2nd parallel runway. If they didn’t these wouldn’t have been built.

This is because the land in this location has huge huge value for retail and other developments. What does this tell us? MOVE the airport to less expensive, less desirable land (e.g two wells). The location of an airport won’t stop people flying, but the freeing up of this valuable land would certainly help with the 30 year urban density plan.

The sooner this happens the better as it will create fantastic new suburbs close to the city and beach. It will make the Port Adelaide, Glenelg and Mawson lakes developments look smal in comparison. It will also remove height restrictions from North Adelaide and parts of the City and Glenelg North esplanade (not 100% sure on exact locations). We can they have an airport with REAL growth potential that doesn’t need to operate under a curfew (which will NEVER be lifted in its current location). As an added bonus, the residents of Mile End etc can get some peace. Think of the exciting potential for this land at West Beach!!!!

Ho Really

#19 Post by Ho Really » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:57 am

ad5 wrote:Why do you think Ikea, Harbour Town, business park etc were built? Because AAL makes massive amounts from their lease. They probably make more off this than they would a 2nd parallel runway. If they didn’t these wouldn’t have been built.

This is because the land in this location has huge huge value for retail and other developments.
Absolutely.
What does this tell us? MOVE the airport to less expensive, less desirable land (e.g two wells). The location of an airport won’t stop people flying, but the freeing up of this valuable land would certainly help with the 30 year urban density plan.
Maybe not so much Two Wells, but land closer to the ocean where it's not so good for market gardening. We'll have a freeway and rail line there too (if planned properly).
The sooner this happens the better as it will create fantastic new suburbs close to the city and beach. It will make the Port Adelaide, Glenelg and Mawson lakes developments look smal in comparison. It will also remove height restrictions from North Adelaide and parts of the City and Glenelg North esplanade (not 100% sure on exact locations). We can they have an airport with REAL growth potential that doesn’t need to operate under a curfew (which will NEVER be lifted in its current location). As an added bonus, the residents of Mile End etc can get some peace. Think of the exciting potential for this land at West Beach!!!!
Those new suburbs will have plenty of parks and wetlands. It will probably turn out very nice (no floods of course). Does AAL and the SA Government have this vision?

Cheers

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by Wayno » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:11 am

would the salt plains adjacent to Pt Wakefield Rd make a good spot for a relocated airport?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ad5
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#21 Post by ad5 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:30 pm

Those new suburbs will have plenty of parks and wetlands. It will probably turn out very nice (no floods of course). Does AAL and the SA Government have this vision?

Cheers
Perhaps the Libs might have something up their sleeves to counter Labors plan. I'm sure whatever the Libs have in mind they'll keep under wraps to avoid Labor picking out their ideas. Im not a Libs supporter by the way, but it seems that Rann has followed a few of their ideas. But hey, he puts his face to any good plan/idea. But then again this is federal land, so im not sure where the idea of such a vision would come from.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#22 Post by Shuz » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:49 pm

Wayno wrote:would the salt plains adjacent to Pt Wakefield Rd make a good spot for a relocated airport?
I've always believed that it would. Reasonably close to the CBD still - 20 minute drive max, serviced by a freeway from the north. The only thing that hampers this idea is the twin chimney stacks of the power station on Garden Island which would impose upon flight trajectories, and maybe the expensive cost of flood-proofing the area.

Ho Really

#23 Post by Ho Really » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:51 pm

ad5 wrote:

Cheers
Perhaps the Libs might have something up their sleeves to counter Labors plan. I'm sure whatever the Libs have in mind they'll keep under wraps to avoid Labor picking out their ideas. Im not a Libs supporter by the way, but it seems that Rann has followed a few of their ideas. But hey, he puts his face to any good plan/idea. But then again this is federal land, so im not sure where the idea of such a vision would come from.
If the Liberals have a plan it would be something far into the future as the current airport will be good enough for a while yet. The vision would have to be a combined affair with the federal government taking the lead.

Cheers

Ho Really

#24 Post by Ho Really » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:57 pm

Shuz wrote:
Wayno wrote:would the salt plains adjacent to Pt Wakefield Rd make a good spot for a relocated airport?
I've always believed that it would. Reasonably close to the CBD still - 20 minute drive max, serviced by a freeway from the north. The only thing that hampers this idea is the twin chimney stacks of the power station on Garden Island which would impose upon flight trajectories, and maybe the expensive cost of flood-proofing the area.
The power station is on Torrens Island and yes, it would impede flights to a certain extent if they came from the northwest. The main runway will always be in a northeast-southwest orientation or thereabouts (take a look at Edinburgh Airbase to get a good idea of prevailing winds in the north). I guess if an airport was ever going to be built up that way it would be further north. As suggested around Two Wells, but maybe closer to the coast. If you've got time Shuz do a cut and paste in Photoshop of our Airport onto those areas mentioned and see how much room there is.

Cheers

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#25 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:54 pm

Yep, Move the airport far away from the cbd so it takes a long time to get there. Great idea guys

Ho Really

#26 Post by Ho Really » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:08 pm

Cruise wrote:Yep, Move the airport far away from the cbd so it takes a long time to get there. Great idea guys
The present location is perfect, but we've got issues with noise, curfews and height limits. An airport out in the sticks has its drawbacks too, just like you mentioned Cruise. If we had vertical takeoffs we would solve some if not all those issues.

Cheers

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#27 Post by Shuz » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:31 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Shuz wrote:
The power station is on Torrens Island and yes, it would impede flights to a certain extent if they came from the northwest. The main runway will always be in a northeast-southwest orientation or thereabouts (take a look at Edinburgh Airbase to get a good idea of prevailing winds in the north). I guess if an airport was ever going to be built up that way it would be further north. As suggested around Two Wells, but maybe closer to the coast. If you've got time Shuz do a cut and paste in Photoshop of our Airport onto those areas mentioned and see how much room there is.

Cheers
Well, I did just exactly that - for you my dear. But I went further, in such detail... (as I always do)

I present to you Adelaide International Airport. The runways are aligned roughly to the same angle as they are currently.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#28 Post by Cruise » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:17 am

that position would be exellcent, and it would also be easy to build a rail spur there (off the gawler line obvisouly).

Ho Really

#29 Post by Ho Really » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:01 pm

Thanks Shuz, good work. Now re-do the NE-SW runway so that it is more the angle of the runways at Parafield, more to the NNE-SSW. I think the prevailing winds may be slightly different than back at West Beach, but anyway. With the current alignment I think there may be an issue with those new apartments at New Port Quays and the people that are going to live there. The other question is how much mangrove have you destroyed? As for the westerly short runway, it's aligned with the stacks at Torrens Island, I'm not too sure about this one. The other easterly short NW-SE is much better located. By the way which airport did you paste?

Cheers

Ho Really

#30 Post by Ho Really » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:06 pm

Cruise wrote:that position would be exellcent, and it would also be easy to build a rail spur there (off the gawler line obvisouly).
It's an area that has to be considered if the runways are aligned properly. You could also introduce a light rail (tram) from Port Adelaide.

Cheers