Adelaide Airport Visions

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

Adelaide Airport Visions

#1 Post by adam73837 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:17 am

Hi Guys! In case Adelaide Airport's runways ever find themelves struggling to keep up with the amount of flights operating from the airport, here's a quick proposal I did in Paint (I'm sure you can tell it was quick judging by the quality).
new_airport.jpg
new_airport.jpg (53.58 KiB) Viewed 5523 times
BTW, if youn look on the map, you can see that there are some roads in red. This symbolises that they are underground. as you can also see, Harbour Town would become an attraction for plane spotters. (Not that bthere's much to see at Adelaide Airport :D )
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide Airport Visions

#2 Post by AG » Sun May 11, 2008 11:05 am

I'd hate to see the list of environmental impacts on an EIS for a project like that. The blockage of sand movement from south to north would destroy the beaches north of the airport. You'd be better off trying to build a new airport IMO, with room for more expansion.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#3 Post by Shuz » Sun May 11, 2008 12:06 pm

To be honest. I think the airport has reached its capacity as it is. I am still hoping for an extension of the NW-SE runway, but with the spur of developments going on at Burbridge Park and IKEA, etc. they have limited the possibility of a 2nd parallel runway to the SW-NE using the existing land...

If anything, a new airport built elsewhere would more likely be located directly north of the T-junction at South Road/Port River Expressway. There is a phenomenal availability of land, which can't really be utilised for any other purpose and would accomodate enough room for an airport of 2x 3600m parallel runways to the E/W and other facilities.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by rogue » Sun May 11, 2008 6:20 pm

Shuz wrote:To be honest. I think the airport has reached its capacity as it is. I am still hoping for an extension of the NW-SE runway, but with the spur of developments going on at Burbridge Park and IKEA, etc. they have limited the possibility of a 2nd parallel runway to the SW-NE using the existing land...

If anything, a new airport built elsewhere would more likely be located directly north of the T-junction at South Road/Port River Expressway. There is a phenomenal availability of land, which can't really be utilised for any other purpose and would accomodate enough room for an airport of 2x 3600m parallel runways to the E/W and other facilities.
It was reported during the week that the salt pans north of this intersection is to be sold off over the next 4 years for housing. It is also the proposed route for the new Port Wakefield Road. So we'll have to wait and see what 'actually' happens.

Shuz - when you say capacity, do you mean capacity for runway extensions or capacity for landing spots?

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#5 Post by adam73837 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:27 am

Despite the fact that T1 is really fantastic, the more I think about it, I get the feeling that we made a huge mistake in building it. For example, there is hardly any room for expansion and basically, if we want it to remain, we have to keep the number of airlines and flight numbers at the same levels as what they are now, because once we really start opening the doors for more flights, the airport will really be struggling.
What we should have done was:
Either build the airport at the top of South Road as mentioned in this forum. However, the only downside to this is that its a little clost to the city and will stop any future mid-high rise plans we may have for Port Adelaide in the future.
Another option is to build it near Two Wells where there is plenty of space to build an airport similar to that of Melbourne's Tullamarine (which I believe is going to have two new runways built -can someone clarify this?). We could then have a branch off of the Adelaide-Perth railway line (which will probably become part of the Adelaide Metro up to Two Wells...) to stop at the Terminal. Running from the terminal to the Adelaide Station woud be an express train that takes people right onto North Terrace. Why won't something like this happen? One big word: MONEY!!!
My :2cents:
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by Norman » Sat May 17, 2008 11:14 am

Either build the airport at the top of South Road as mentioned in this forum. However, the only downside to this is that its a little clost to the city and will stop any future mid-high rise plans we may have for Port Adelaide in the future.
The planes fly over Glenelg at present you know :wink:

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by frank1 » Sat May 17, 2008 5:50 pm

The airport has plenty of room for expansion. The site is pretty big, almost enough for another parallel runway. The international flights can increase, as during the day, the webcam shows the airport is pretty well empty.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by rogue » Sun May 18, 2008 10:36 am

frank1 wrote:The airport has plenty of room for expansion. The site is pretty big, almost enough for another parallel runway. The international flights can increase, as during the day, the webcam shows the airport is pretty well empty.
I agree. The airport would nearly need to double flights to even start considering alternative options.

If international and domestic flights dramatically increase, regional flights could move to Parafield.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#9 Post by Ho Really » Sun May 18, 2008 10:49 am

adam73837 wrote:Despite the fact that T1 is really fantastic, the more I think about it, I get the feeling that we made a huge mistake in building it. For example, there is hardly any room for expansion and basically, if we want it to remain, we have to keep the number of airlines and flight numbers at the same levels as what they are now, because once we really start opening the doors for more flights, the airport will really be struggling...
Regarding T1, and I've mentioned this before, they should have built this terminal in a horsehoe shape further south where at present there are two big buildings, however this could still happen if the T1 is extended south. In the end it may even join up with the old domestic terminal. Of course, you may also have to add more runway. We had the land. Harbourtown and several other buildings on airport land should have never gone ahead if a second runway was to be built . I think they've been greedy.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by adam73837 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:00 pm

True, you'd think that rather than building a shopping centre near all the runways, they could build it near the current IKEA site, planes don't fly over there, now do they? and nor is there the chance of runway going through its path, now is there?
It's sad how a simple lack of forsight can result in restricted option for the future of the airport.
As for the 'observation deck' at Harbour Town, couldn't they have built one ontop of T1, similar to that of Sydney International's Observation Deck.
BTW, when I was looking out the window of a Virgin Blue 737-800, I could see some sort of observation deck near the roof of T1, just above the international gates. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Ho Really

#11 Post by Ho Really » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:02 am

adam73837 wrote:True, you'd think that rather than building a shopping centre near all the runways, they could build it near the current IKEA site, planes don't fly over there, now do they? and nor is there the chance of runway going through its path, now is there? It's sad how a simple lack of forsight can result in restricted option for the future of the airport.
If a second parallel runway was part of future expansion plans, IKEA shouldn't have ben built. A real pity.
As for the 'observation deck' at Harbour Town, couldn't they have built one ontop of T1, similar to that of Sydney International's Observation Deck.
BTW, when I was looking out the window of a Virgin Blue 737-800, I could see some sort of observation deck near the roof of T1, just above the international gates. Can anyone tell me what this is?
Obviously not an observation deck for the public.

Cheers

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by rogue » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:56 am

Bit of reading if anyone interested. From http://www.aal.com.au

http://www.aal.com.au/lib/pdf/PreliminaryDraftMDP.pdf

http://www.aal.com.au/lib/pdf/mf39.pdf (Particularly page 3. Potential future 05/23 parallel runway)

Ho Really

#13 Post by Ho Really » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:24 pm

Have a look at the Appendix F (page 42), at the Overall Precinct Concepts. They probably mean a parallel runway to the south of the existing 05/23, as land to the northwest of this runway, west of Tapleys Hill Road and the extension of Harbour Town would hinder any (short) runway on the northeast-southwest alignment.

If they do mean this, that runway would bring planes closer to the CBD and Glenelg North.

Cheers

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by Düsseldorfer » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:05 pm

Well today's happenings at the Airport got me thinking about a new vision for the airport...

It kinda involves acquiring all property in the suburbs of Netley, West Richmond and some of West Beach to allow the construction of two new runways (running NW to SE) to replace the current runway (which runs NE to SW, Over the City) which could still be kept if needed.

:lol: i need more practice wit photoshop

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Wayno » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:18 pm

Düsseldorfer wrote:Well today's happenings at the Airport got me thinking about a new vision for the airport...

It kinda involves acquiring all property in the suburbs of Netley, West Richmond and some of West Beach to allow the construction of two new runways (running NW to SE) to replace the current runway (which runs NE to SW, Over the City) which could still be kept if needed.
i think you'd need more (wider) land over the West Beach end so planes can taxi to/from the end of the runway. good idea in principle though...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.