Adelaide Airport Visions

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Adelaide Airport Visions

#31 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:22 pm

If there was to be a spur line, it obviously can't run underground. However, the train can for once take priority over cars, so access would need to be designed well.

I propose:
Train: Adelaide to Port Adelaide Airport
P: 10 Mins | Wd: 20 Mins | We: 30 Mins | N: 30 Mins

Buses:
J1: Elizabeth to Port Adelaide via Main North Road, Mawson Lakes, Salisbury Highway and Port Adelaide Airport
P: 15 Mins | Wd: 30 Mins | We: 60 Mins | N: 60 Mins

J2: Golden Grove to Port Adelaide Airport via Golden Grove Road, Tea Tree Plaza and Grand Junction Road
P: 15 Mins | Wd: 30 Mins | We: 60 Mins | N: 60 Mins

J3: Mount Barker to Port Adelaide Airport via SE Freeway, City, Port Road and Hanson Road
P: 10 Mins | Wd: 20 Mins | We: 30 Mins | N: 60 Mins

J4: Marion Shopping Centre to Port Adelaide Airport via South Road, Adelaide Parklands Terminal and South Road
P: 30 Mins | Wd: 30 Mins | We: 60 Mins | N: 60 Mins

J5: Noarlunga Centre to Port Adelaide Airport via Lonsdale Road and Tapleys Hill Road
P: 30 Mins | Wd: 30 Mins | We: 60 Mins | N: 60 Mins

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#32 Post by Shuz » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:27 pm

Ho Really wrote:Thanks Shuz, good work. Now re-do the NE-SW runway so that it is more the angle of the runways at Parafield, more to the NNE-SSW. I think the prevailing winds may be slightly different than back at West Beach, but anyway. With the current alignment I think there may be an issue with those new apartments at New Port Quays and the people that are going to live there. The other question is how much mangrove have you destroyed? As for the westerly short runway, it's aligned with the stacks at Torrens Island, I'm not too sure about this one. The other easterly short NW-SE is much better located. By the way which airport did you paste?

Cheers
I'll get to work on it sire!
As for Newport Quay residents. Stuff them, its their fault they chose to live there (pending potential future flight path arrangements, just as its my fault I chose to live 1 block away from a bloody freaking busy road)

I think its safe to say that mangroves should be abolished in the name of mosquito-infested swamp removal, which in turn will reduce the existence of mosquitos living in Adelaide, which in turn will see a reduction of mosquito-borne diseases such as malaria infecting humans which in turn will mean less dead and sick people, which in turn will be better for the hospitals, which in turn.... well you get the gist?

As for runway alignments, I will follow your recommendations, and delete the runway in conflict with the power stacks, align them to as they are at Parafield - and maybe move the SW-NE long runway to run parallel with the shorter one, rather than running off it as two seperate runways.

Btw - I used Tullamarine airports surroundings, terminals, freeway style connections, with Adelaide airport's runways.
I'm not familiar with lengths, but I think max. is supposed to be 3600m, and Adelaide's is 3200m?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#33 Post by Cruise » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:59 pm

Shuz wrote: As for Newport Quay residents. Stuff them, its their fault they chose to live there (pending potential future flight path arrangements, just as its my fault I chose to live 1 block away from a bloody freaking busy road)

that's a little bit different, was the road there before you moved there? if so, you knew what you were getting yourself into.

If i bought an apartment and then was told a year or two later that there was going to be an airport built a hop, skip and a jump away, I would not be a happy camper

ad5
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#34 Post by ad5 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:10 pm

I'll get to work on it sire!
As for Newport Quay residents. Stuff them, its their fault they chose to live there (pending potential future flight path arrangements, just as its my fault I chose to live 1 block away from a bloody freaking busy road)
The new airport must be someway away from built up residential areas, thats why its no good at the current West Beach location or your proposed Port Adelaide, perhaps a little further north would be good. It needs to be able to operate without curfew and have expansion potential for the next 50+ years. It needs to be like Melbourne airport (Tullamarine), Some distance from the CBD, but easy, quick freeway access. Once Sydney sets the precedence of moving Mascot (it will happen) or establishing a new "main" airport, Adelaide will hopefully follow suit.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:26 pm

well here's my un-environmentally friendly super airport to be built on the salt fields...to build this we would suddenly need to have few billion $$ and 18million passengers per year

for those wondering, it's Düsseldorf Airport :D :mrgreen: lol

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#36 Post by Ho Really » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:11 pm

Düsseldorfer wrote:well here's my un-environmentally friendly super airport to be built on the salt fields...to build this we would suddenly need to have few billion $$ and 18million passengers per year

Parallel runways, nice, but aren't they a little short? And where did Port Wakefield Road go, underground or diverted?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#37 Post by Ho Really » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Shuz wrote:...I think its safe to say that mangroves should be abolished in the name of mosquito-infested swamp removal, which in turn will reduce the existence of mosquitos living in Adelaide, which in turn will see a reduction of mosquito-borne diseases such as malaria infecting humans which in turn will mean less dead and sick people, which in turn will be better for the hospitals, which in turn.... well you get the gist?...
I won't comment on the alignment and living in New Port Quays, Cruise has already given you a reasonable answer, but I'll quote something about the grey mangroves (Avicennia marina) that are found around Torrens Island and the Barker Inlet:

Mangroves are a very important part of the natural environment (ecosystem). They play a critical role in providing shelter, food, breeding and roosting areas for a diversity of wildlife. The floor of the mangrove forest is home to many marine worms, crabs, crustaceans and snails. The juveniles of fish, such as garfish, find shelter and food amongst the mangrove roots. At low tide, fish concentrate in the deeper tidal creeks that drain the mangrove forest. At high tide, larger fish and dolphins are able to move along these creeks, and into the forest itself, to feed. They are also valuable in nutrient recycling, improving water quality, recharging ground water, flood control, erosion control and stabilisation of river banks (and coast).

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Düsseldorfer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:22 am

Ho Really wrote: Parallel runways, nice, but aren't they a little short? And where did Port Wakefield Road go, underground or diverted?

Cheers
well those runways are capable of handling most types of Aircraft even the A380 ...unless i messed up in Photoshop :oops:

ad5
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#39 Post by ad5 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:35 am

Using Tullamarine (Melbourne) airport as an example (to scale). The main runways are approx the same direction as our current airport, the others arent as I havent messed with it yet. An airport of this size would support Adelaide well into the future.

First Concept

Second concept:

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#40 Post by adam73837 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:09 pm

ad5 wrote:Why do you think Ikea, Harbour Town, business park etc were built? Because AAL makes massive amounts from their lease. They probably make more off this than they would a 2nd parallel runway. If they didn’t these wouldn’t have been built.

This is because the land in this location has huge huge value for retail and other developments. What does this tell us? MOVE the airport to less expensive, less desirable land (e.g two wells). The location of an airport won’t stop people flying, but the freeing up of this valuable land would certainly help with the 30 year urban density plan.

The sooner this happens the better as it will create fantastic new suburbs close to the city and beach. It will make the Port Adelaide, Glenelg and Mawson lakes developments look smal in comparison. It will also remove height restrictions from North Adelaide and parts of the City and Glenelg North esplanade (not 100% sure on exact locations). We can they have an airport with REAL growth potential that doesn’t need to operate under a curfew (which will NEVER be lifted in its current location). As an added bonus, the residents of Mile End etc can get some peace. Think of the exciting potential for this land at West Beach!!!!
Perhaps we aren't the only ones talking about the things that we're talking about on this forum. Maybe AAL wants to sell of most of their land and shift further north and perhaps they'll sell of all the land so that they can blackmail the Federal Government. (Forget the second part of my last sentence...)
As for having an airport up near Barker Inlet, the possibilities of what we can do with area that will be surrounding this 'new airport' would be AMAZING...
Let's hope and pray that something like this will happen in the future.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Aidan

#41 Post by Aidan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:41 pm

Düsseldorfer wrote:well here's my un-environmentally friendly super airport to be built on the salt fields...to build this we would suddenly need to have few billion $$ and 18million passengers per year

Locating it next to Australia's premier bird sanctuary is not just environmentally unfriendly, it is also a safety hazard!

Adelaide doesn't need a replacement airport. We have plenty of terminal capacity, and when we need more, we can reopen the old domestic terminal. And if we ever need an order of magnitude more terminal capacity, we can extend the terminal along to where the old domestic terminal is, then loop it back towards Ikea! Nor is runway capacity an issue - in the unlikely event of it ever becoming a problem, we could open another airport Up North or near Murray Bridge, and Jetstar would be sure to transfer some of their flights there. But it will be a long time, if ever, before the runway reaches capacity.

Noise would also be far more of a problem there than the current location, because where the airport is now, virtually nobody is affected by noise who wasn't when they bought the property. Moving it somewhere else would adversely affect thousands of people, many of whom bought houses where they did because it was quiet! And commercial and industrial land value in the western suburbs would collapse because most of the companies would move to be nearer the new airport.

There's really nothing wrong with the airport's current location. Even the curfew isn't much of a problem, because it's not too hard for airlines to avoid it. Besides, aircraft (of the same size) are getting quieter, and we're unlikely to get many A380s here.

But if the airport is moved, I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned the obvious alternative location:

Offshore!

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#42 Post by adam73837 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:51 pm

By 'offshore' do you mean like the new airport in Hong Kong? Or do you mean like the airport in Sydney?
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by AG » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Now that you mention floating airports, that brings up a few interesting ideas. When most people think offshore, most people think that a whole new section of land will need to be reclaimed from the sea. In Japan, they've been trialling a project called MegaFloat, which involved constructing an airport offshore using steel barges joined together to make one large island, and then this floating island anchored to the sea floor. It's apparently perfectly stable in earthquakes as well, but it can only be constructed in relatively shallow non-turbulent waters. This has less of an impact on the environment and could cut construction costs and times as well. It's use has been rather limited so far though.

http://web-japan.org/atlas/technology/tec14.html

Aidan

#44 Post by Aidan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:50 pm

adam73837 wrote:By 'offshore' do you mean like the new airport in Hong Kong? Or do you mean like the airport in Sydney?
I mean like the one in Hong Kong.

Although your mention of Sydney has reminded me that there was a proposal to do the same thing there, with runways aligned North-South in the ocean off the Royal National Park, solving the noise issue once and for all! Of all the unimplemented plans for replacement airports anywhere in the world, it's the best I've seen by far!
Thanks for the MegaFloat info. It's something I expect we'll be seeing a lot more about in the future.

ad5
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#45 Post by ad5 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:56 am

Aidan wrote:
Adelaide doesn't need a replacement airport. We have plenty of terminal capacity, and when we need more, we can reopen the old domestic terminal. And if we ever need an order of magnitude more terminal capacity, we can extend the terminal along to where the old domestic terminal is, then loop it back towards Ikea! Nor is runway capacity an issue - in the unlikely event of it ever becoming a problem, we could open another airport Up North or near Murray Bridge, and Jetstar would be sure to transfer some of their flights there. But it will be a long time, if ever, before the runway reaches capacity.
The Adelaide Airport Master plan says the current runways (not terminal) will reach capacity in 2025. Thats not too far away, given that it takes years of planning and development to solve such a problem. Sure there are periods of the day when its quiet, but its about getting as many planes in and out during peak hours (e.g early morning and evening). The current land doesn't lend too well for a decent 2nd parallel runway. Also, one significant thing has changed over the past 10 years in Adelaide. Inner metro land value, highlighted by Rann's urban density plan. There are few cities in the world that have an airport 5km from the CBD for this very reason. Sure its convenient for travellers, but its not the best use of such valuable land.

The last terminal served us for 20 years, 5-7 years too long in my opinion, as it was long over due to be replaced. I read that it was expected the current terminal (even with extensions) will last a similar period, perhaps even shorter (15 years). Given the runway capacity reaching capacity in 2025 and the terminal life expiring there abouts (2020-2025), im sure these two factors alligning is no coincedence and there will be a good case for relocating the airport in around 2020-2025. An accouncement and planning for such a move would have to happen around 2013-2018.