Port Rd - Protected Bicycle Lane

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Port Rd - Protected Bicycle Lane

#1 Post by Wayno » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:53 am

Is the Port Rd median strip a good candidate for a bi-directional protected bike lane? Could it run the full distance from the Port to the CBD? The median is certainly very wide. Obviously some issues with the cross-traffic, but then the cyclists would simply give way. Thoughts?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: Port Rd - Protected Bicycle Lane

#2 Post by Cruise » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:52 am

I would prefer to see the left lane tuned into a parking lane with a wide bicycly lane next to it. With port road widened a lane into the median to retain its three lanes in each direction.

This would improve safety immensely

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by cleverick » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:07 pm

Again, the people on this site see an open space and decide that it's wasted. If you're serious about converting people from car to cycle, you should actually remove the former option: delete an entire lane, configure it a bit better, and hey, presto! car parking and a protected bike lane from CBD-Port.
As in, the idea of having cyclists on the gutter with cars parked to their right, offering a modicum of protection from buses, trucks and other left-lane users which scare me to death when they overtake me on Henley Beach Rd.
The inner-most lane of Port Rd I'd like to see converted into a tram right-of-way (none of this doubled-up train/tram wishy-washy nonesense) and the median strip, my Holy, Untouchable, Sacred, All-Important median strip would be developed into a linear park/wetlands to assist with flood mitigation, provide a pretty view for tram users, and a place for endagered frogs/birds to live.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#4 Post by Cruise » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:15 pm

eww, a wetlands in the middle of port road? i can't wait to be driving along and dodging all sorts of wildlife on my way. driving along port road would become an adventure!

urban
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by urban » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:13 am

Cruise wrote:eww, a wetlands in the middle of port road? i can't wait to be driving along and dodging all sorts of wildlife on my way. driving along port road would become an adventure!
Port Rd will be overtaken by kangaroos, wombats, wedgetailed eagles. :roll: There are plenty of places in Adelaide where wetlands are adjacent major roads. I have never heard of anyone complaining of it being a problem. There is no need to be afraid of nature.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by rhino » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:44 am

The wide median down Port Road was originally a canal reserve, for a canal to go from the Port to the City. Which means it's original intention was actually as a transport corridor. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a wetlands there.
cheers,
Rhino

Ho Really

#7 Post by Ho Really » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:34 pm

rhino wrote:The wide median down Port Road was originally a canal reserve, for a canal to go from the Port to the City. Which means it's original intention was actually as a transport corridor. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a wetlands there.
Or maybe we should bring back the canal idea and have Popeyes steam (ferry) commuters in each direction. :wink: Now that would be a novel and unique idea that would differentiate us from other Aussie cities!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by cruel_world00 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:53 pm

Ho Really wrote:
rhino wrote:The wide median down Port Road was originally a canal reserve, for a canal to go from the Port to the City. Which means it's original intention was actually as a transport corridor. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a wetlands there.
Or maybe we should bring back the canal idea and have Popeyes steam (ferry) commuters in each direction. :wink: Now that would be a novel and unique idea that would differentiate us from other Aussie cities!

Cheers

Water, where would we get it? :P

But seriously...Adelaide: Australia's Venice

rhino

#9 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:22 am

Ho Really wrote:Or maybe we should bring back the canal idea and have Popeyes steam (ferry) commuters in each direction. :wink: Now that would be a novel and unique idea that would differentiate us from other Aussie cities!
I can just imagine the headlines in the Sydney Morning Herald - "Adelaide gets Ferries - What the????"
cheers,
Rhino

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by cleverick » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:26 pm

As far as ferries and the Popeye, I think the ACC should charter one during international (and even local) cricket matches instead of building a bridge. Much more original, and probably cheaper if the estimates for the bridge I've read are correct.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by AG » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:00 am

cleverick wrote:As far as ferries and the Popeye, I think the ACC should charter one during international (and even local) cricket matches instead of building a bridge. Much more original, and probably cheaper if the estimates for the bridge I've read are correct.
To cross such a narrow lake? Why would you use a ferry to serve a crossing that you could almost throw a tennis ball from one side to the other across?

Omicron

#12 Post by Omicron » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:17 am

AG wrote:
cleverick wrote:As far as ferries and the Popeye, I think the ACC should charter one during international (and even local) cricket matches instead of building a bridge. Much more original, and probably cheaper if the estimates for the bridge I've read are correct.
To cross such a narrow lake? Why would you use a ferry to serve a crossing that you could almost throw a tennis ball from one side to the other across?
I can't throw to save myself. :(

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by cleverick » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:12 am

Because no one else has done it. It would be original and better than building a bridge, given there are two within 400m of each other or so. And when you don't want it anymore, just don't hire the Popeye.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by Will409 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:01 pm

cleverick wrote:Because no one else has done it. It would be original and better than building a bridge, given there are two within 400m of each other or so. And when you don't want it anymore, just don't hire the Popeye.
They have river ferries in Brisbane as well as the harbour ferries in Sydney so I don't see why it would be at all original.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Ho Really

#15 Post by Ho Really » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:51 pm

Will409 wrote:
cleverick wrote:Because no one else has done it. It would be original and better than building a bridge, given there are two within 400m of each other or so. And when you don't want it anymore, just don't hire the Popeye.
They have river ferries in Brisbane as well as the harbour ferries in Sydney so I don't see why it would be at all original.
Also it wouldn't be cost effective.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.