transport- past losses and future planning

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Somebody
High Rise Poster!

Re: transport- past losses and future planning

#16 Post by Somebody » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:23 pm

The Train network needs rebuilding completely, new track, electrification, new trains, new stations, underground city loop
Yawners, lose the loopy obsession.

Brain up:
http://railhobbies.blogspot.com/2008/01 ... -harm.html
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by Norman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:29 pm

Agreed, there's no point of a loop in Adelaide.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by frank1 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:52 pm

Norman wrote:Agreed, there's no point of a loop in Adelaide.

why not? Most cities around the would have some sort of underground train loop. Why can't Adelaide, sounds like country town type attitude to me.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Somebody » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:00 pm

frank1 wrote:Most cities around the would have some sort of underground train loop. Why can't Adelaide, sounds like country town type attitude to me.
Sounds like someone is either blind or has not read :arrow: http://railhobbies.blogspot.com/2008/01 ... -harm.html

:roll:

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by AtD » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:27 pm

Linking to a blog does not make your right, especially one about a different city. So rather than being sarcastic, remember that you do have to think for yourself sometimes!

It's specifically a critique on the Melbourne loop. Another rant from the "dribbling horde"
- Adelaide, unlike Melbourne, has all trains approach from the west,
- Adelaide has no other stations in the CBD. Melbourne had Spencer Street before the loop, as the article points out.
- Flinders Street and Spencer Street are much more central location than North Terrace
- Arguments regarding the operations of Melbourne's loop (connections, changing directions, information, etc.) are management issues, not design issues.

Either way, irrelevant.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by Somebody » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:03 am

So what are your arguments for why a loop railway (as opposed to any other type of railway servicing such locations) is needed.

Need to reverse trains = Adelaide's trains are double ended
Driver doesn't need to change ends = Have a driver waiting at the other end FFS if the frequency is more than 5min.
Station is too overcrowded with people = Lol, for Adelaide?

I think it is more that you went to Melbourne, loved the Loop as a gunzel, and want to bring it back home.

Again, go read Riccardo's blog again as he would know. He is talking about the ENTIRE LOOP CONCEPT IN GENERAL being flawed not MELBOURNE'S IMPLEMENTATION :roll:

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by jk1237 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:10 am

yeah Broadguage you are being most wankerish :lol: . An underground rail tunnel under the city that gets rid of our 'dead end' station is a fantastic proposal. All trains from Gawler, Outer Harb/Grange start to go underground at the current North Tce station(station remains), travels under North Tce until near the corner of Pulteney St, when it turns to the south, and a station is constructed in between Rundle/Pulteney/North Tce to service the uni's and east end. It then travels under Hindmarsh Sq where i propose another station. It then travels deep underground directly to Vic Sq for another station, then a cut n cover job under Grote St and under western parklands, to meet up with the existing lines somewhere near Keswick Stn, so trains continue to the south. Maybe even a station at Grote/Morphett St to service the western market side and the u/c Balfours precinct. I reckon only 2 tunnels are needed - 1 northbound and 1 southbound.

Our one station serves a very small section of our CBD. There are many office blocks around Hindmarsh Sq that are beyond walking distance from the train, and no frequent bus links, which discourages Adelaideans using trains

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by Somebody » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:26 am

I never said that more than one station may be needed.

Why the fucking loop obsession?

I think it's more that:

- you went to Melbourne
- you liked the City Loop as you thought it was fun to count Hitachis on it
- you asked mummy to bring it home with you, she said no
- now you come here and ask the government to build one for you, oh and just 23M and 144M please as I like those hitachi the most :roll:

Stop dribbling.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by Norman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:31 am

IMO a straight-through tunnel under Currie Street with 2 or 3 stations would be the better option.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by AG » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:33 am

Noone state cut and cover, you'd never get that approved as a construction method in this modern day and age for a rail tunnel under a street because of the disruption and protest it would create. I still believe underground rail tunnels (deep level) under King William Street linking Goodwood to Adelaide Station are a better solution, taking the quality of the ground under Adelaide's CBD into account also. That would allow better access into the city centre and provide cross town suburban rail services that currently don't exist.

There also needs to be a more consistent and clearer pattern to the way train services are run. Tokyo runs a clever system that is easy to follow and is incredibly efficient. The busiest lines are divided up into local service and rapid service. Two tracks serve the local service trains (trains coloured yellow) which stop at all stations for a given route. The other two tracks serve rapid service trains (trains coloured orange) which stop at selected stations up to a point not far beyond where local services terminate before stopping all stations. Take the Chuo Line for example, it runs the following services:

- Chuo Line Local Service: All stations between Ochanomizu and Mitaka (they come directly from the Sobu Line local service)
- Chuo Line Rapid Service: Tokyo, Kanda, Ochanomizu, Yotsuya, Shinjuku, Nakano, all stations after Nakano
- Chuo Line Special Rapid Service: Tokyo, Kanda, Ochanomizu, Yotsuya, Shinjuku, Nakano, Mitaka, Kokubunji, Tachikawa, all stations after Tachikawa
- Chuo Line Commuter Rapid Service: Tokyo, Kanda, Ochanomizu, Yotsuya, Shinjuku, Nakano, Ogikubo, Kichijoji, Mitaka, Kokubunji, Tachikawa, all stations after Tachikawa

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by jk1237 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:59 am

Somebody wrote:I never said that more than one station may be needed.

Why the fucking loop obsession?

I think it's more that:

- you went to Melbourne
- you liked the City Loop as you thought it was fun to count Hitachis on it
- you asked mummy to bring it home with you, she said no
- now you come here and ask the government to build one for you, oh and just 23M and 144M please as I like those hitachi the most :roll:

Stop dribbling.
who are you talking to? :lol: When us Adelaideans talk of a loop, we do not mean a complete circle like in Melb. Its just a word. Anyway, you're the Railpage megaposter so I dont know what you mean about counting Melb trains? Who on here does? :?

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by Somebody » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:09 am

Lol, "Railpage megaposter".

I like to use some spice, sarcasm, salt & pepper as well as sauce in my arguments ;)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by AtD » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:36 am

Somebody wrote:So what are your arguments for why a loop railway (as opposed to any other type of railway servicing such locations) is needed.
I never stated a position, you jumped to the conclusion. I was just pointing out that you can't just post the first link you come across and let that do the arguing for you. That blog was very much focused on Melbourne, and the vast majority of its statements related to Melbourne specific situations. That, and its self-righteous introduction suggested it was something more than the standard gunzel dribble that it is, so I felt cheated after I read it!
Somebody wrote:I like to use some spice, sarcasm, salt & pepper as well as sauce in my arguments ;)
Condiments are only needed if you're not using quality ingredients! :mrgreen:

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by Somebody » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:40 am

Riccardo? Dribbler? Lol.

Go tell him that on his blog - go on, do it!

All my ingredients are Masterfoods.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by Norman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:42 am

I never get Mayo or Salt & Pepper on my Subways. Food version that is.