ACC vision for the parklands - 2015

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

ACC vision for the parklands - 2015

#1 Post by Wayno » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:54 pm

The ACC has released a vision for the parklands, to be complete by 2015. Download it here ==> http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/aplms. Public input due by Feb 27...

Some of the proposed developments:
  • * Rejuvenate the Riverbank precinct, including an interpretive ‘great river walk’ to increase activity between the new Marjorie Jackson-Nelson Hospital and the Adelaide Zoo
    * Complete the Park Lands Trail to form a 24km signposted loop around the City which people can walk, run or cycle
    * Upgrade irrigation systems to green recreation and sports areas with reused water through the Glenelg-to-Adelaide Park Lands Pipeline and managed aquifer recharge
    * Create visual gateways and landscaping themes to link and unify the Park Lands
    * Improve outdoor recreation areas with shade, seating, picnic areas, cafés, kiosks and toilets
    * Major upgrades to Rymill Park / Mullawirraburka and Bonython Park /Tulya Wodli, and the redevelopment of Adelaide’s largest open space, Victoria Park / Bakkabakkandi
    * Improve event spaces and infrastructure linked to recreation areas, cultural precincts and City Squares
    * Develop a series of interpretive trails to engage visitors and promote tourism focusing on natural systems, heritage and cultural places
    * In liaison with the Kaurna community, increase Aboriginal heritage interpretation through landscapes, art works and information
    * Create a wetland ribbon linked to a biodiversity corridor in the South Park Lands as part of the Brownhill and Keswick Creek Stormwater Management Plan
    * Upgrade the primary sports hubs including Adelaide Oval, Memorial Drive Tennis Centre, North Adelaide Golf Course and Adelaide Aquatic Centre
    * Create an unfenced dog-off-leash recreation area
parklands.jpg
parklands.jpg (114.9 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
Of interest is the proposed cultural hub around the Adelaide Gaol and riverfront!

and lastly, here's a related article from the City Messenger:
ADELAIDE`S parklands will get more cafes and kiosks, a 24km walking and cycling trail and even off-leash dog areas, under a 10-year plan to reinvigorate the city’s green belt.

The draft, Adelaide Parklands Management Strategy: Towards 2020, was released for public consultation this week.

The 60-page document outlines plans for major upgrades at Rymill Park, Bonython Park and Victoria Park by 2015.

Also proposed is a 24km walking and cycling trail linking the city’s parklands, featuring ``A Great River Walk’’ along the Torrens between the Adelaide Zoo and the proposed Marjorie Jackson Nelson Hospital site.

The strategy also includes the planned $13 million upgrade at Victoria Park, which is set to start in March.

Adelaide Parklands Preservation Association president Jim Daly said the plans were ``a step in the right direction’’.

``They’ve tried to take a broad brush approach to the whole thing,’’ he said.

``I think the trail around the outside of the parklands is a good way of defining the parklands, in terms of defining where the parklands start and end.’’

Mr Daly said he was also comfortable with small-scale developments such as cafes and kiosks.

``I’ve got no problem with them as long as they’re low profile buildings that are not substantial.

``People need toilets and a place to have an ice cream or a cup of coffee.’’

A public meeting on the draft strategy will be held at Rymill Park on Sunday, February 22 from 2-4pm.

Towards 2020 is available online at: http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/aplms. Public consultation closes on Friday, February 27.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Vision for the Parklands - 2015

#2 Post by Wayno » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:11 pm

like it? hate it? got something to say? submit your feedback online here ==> http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/aplms. It will only take you a few mins...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: Vision for the Parklands - 2015

#3 Post by Shuz » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:15 pm

I flamin' hate it.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: ACC vision for the parklands - 2015

#4 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:04 pm

I just want that pipe line completed ASAP so they can water the elms properly to stop anymore of them dying :( They look nice and suit our city, but they're dying left, right and centre

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by SRW » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:32 am

I think it mostly has the sentiments I'm looking for in a master plan, but I don't think it's really ambitious enough.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by Norman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:46 am

It's a sensible plan really, and I don't really have a problem with that. I'd like to see more trees actually, especially around the walkway so that walkers can be protected from the harsh sun in summer and the rain in winter.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Will » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:47 pm

The problem with this plan is exactly what pretty much sums up the problem with this city. It is nice but a bit boring. We need something to inspire us!

Where is the international botanical garden? where is the giant ferris wheel? where is the music bowl? where is the new sporting infraestructure?....

All this plan is doing is making the parklands a nicer place to walk your poodle.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:26 am

Will wrote:The problem with this plan is exactly what pretty much sums up the problem with this city. It is nice but a bit boring. We need something to inspire us!

Where is the international botanical garden? where is the giant ferris wheel? where is the music bowl? where is the new sporting infraestructure?....

All this plan is doing is making the parklands a nicer place to walk your poodle.
And that's what Daly likes to have.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Will » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:29 am

Norman wrote:
Will wrote:The problem with this plan is exactly what pretty much sums up the problem with this city. It is nice but a bit boring. We need something to inspire us!

And that's what Daly likes to have.
Exactly Norm, the ACC should be concerned with pleasing the silent majority instead of people like Daly!

However, sadly, I understand that the silent majority does not get a vote for the ACC.....

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:37 am

8. Major multi-functional event space established
This sounds interesting

Mants
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Mants » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:12 pm

crawf wrote:
8. Major multi-functional event space established
This sounds interesting
it probably wont be. lol.

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#12 Post by Strangled Cat » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:07 am

It sounds snooz-worthy and boring. Some of the things have merit, but still lacks vision. The first one annoys me, who says we want to walk past and see the bloody marj! The RAH is fine where it is, let's utilise this area better. Does anyone know the ACC's official stance on the marj? I'm guessing they support it based on their visions of it being there, or have they got other visions that they are keeping behing closed doors if the Hospital doesn't go ahead?