Adelaide Sports & Entertainment Facility

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
PhilM
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Adelaide Sports & Entertainment Facility

#1 Post by PhilM » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:31 pm

Our main sports facility is an aging monolith in the far north western suburbs yet the Government propose to throw hundreds of millions revamping it whilst we have no CBD facility of any substance. They also propose spending money revamping the Adelaide Oval and the Entertainment Centre. We have an aging aquatic facility in the city yet they propose to replace it in the distant South at the end of our one way freeway. Our major State and Teaching Hospital is well located adjacent to our main university on a huge block of land (check it out on Google earth) yet they propose to move to one of the last large tracts of empty CBD land 2 kilometres from the University. Why not use some common sense and build a new hospital tower in one of the empty car parks in the northern grounds of the RAH then demolish the facilities it replaces, build another building and in time, you have a modern RAH and Dental School with little disturbance of existing uses. (I feel another posting coming on)

The block of land we retain could be used for the appropriately named Marjorie Jackson Nelson Sporting and Entertainment Complex made up of the Phil Rogers aquatic centre, the Lleyton Hewitt tennis centre, the Wanganeen/McLeod Sports Stadium, the Guy Sebastian Entertainment Centre and of course the shared Mike Rann toilet block! This would be a facility we could all get to easily and use with pride. Maybe we could even extend the tram to nowhere the extra 400 meters and give it a grand destination. (Pat Conlon Terminus)

Funding? Commit to 10 year leases then sell off footy park to developers, the old aquatic centre (luxury housing enclave anyone) the Entertainment Centre (Westfield would love it), Memorial Drive Tennis centre and its carpark (Six Star Adelaide Hotel), and the Marion pool site (Gandel is that cheeky), use the money allocated for all the renovations, include the money saved by rebuilding the RAH rather than relocating and rebuilding it. Add the money made on the sale of the assets grab the Federal Stimulus monies and we might just end up with the facilities we deserve rather than the ongoing state of despair we have endured for so long!

I am the worst photoshopper out so excuse the rough draft, if anyone is inspired, feel free to add the polish.

For the record, the entertainment centre is a poor doubling of the convention centre, the Stadium is Melbourne's Telstra Dome, the Tennis Centre Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena and the Aquatic Centre is the Sydney Olympic Park facility. The gaol is retained for tourists and maybe new local police station. Oh and the lake, well that is a complete illusion!
Attachments
margconcept.jpg
margconcept.jpg (123.78 KiB) Viewed 2183 times

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Adelaide Sports & Entertainment Facility

#2 Post by omada » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:42 pm

Sweet another thread for this debate, that would make it about 4 threads concurrently running this debate: Adelaide Oval Redev, Railyards Thread and many more !

I like the names of your stadiums though, very imaginative, "The Guy Sebastian Entertainment Centre" lol

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Adelaide Sports & Entertainment Facility

#3 Post by Omicron » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:41 pm

The 'Pat Conlon Terminus' did bring a wry grin to my face, I must admit.