"Vision for Adelaide" - Adelaide Infra. & Parklands Pro.

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

"Vision for Adelaide" - Adelaide Infra. & Parklands Pro.

#1 Post by Howie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Posting this on behalf of James Allen.
Howie,

We are a group of young professional Adelaidian's with a passion for our city and with the motivation to try and do something about it.

We thought you would very much enjoy reading what we have submitted to the ACC in response to their parklands managament strategy as of Friday. We have also submitted the proposal to both sides of government and have already received some positive feedback. We hope to continue the momentum which is building behind a more dynamic solution to the current "build or not build a stadium" debate.

We would appreciate it if you could post a new thread with our submited proposal.

We are keen to get the thoughts and feedback of your members.

Kind regards,

James Allen
Vision for Adelaide
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/ima ... eb2009.pdf

James if you're about the place, please make yourself known to us :) You've got our attention.

Legga
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: "Vision for Adelaide" - Adelaide Infra. & Parklands Pro.

#2 Post by Legga » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:36 pm

This is one really good proposal, looks like they know what they are doing.
- The Vic park idea is great! why not put the grand stand along Fullarton Rd?
- Festival plaza idea needs to be done, with the river bank precinct.

some really good ideas the ACC and gov should take on board.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:02 pm

Just read through this impressive document. I almost agree with 100% of its content. There's a few points that would need consideration, as anyone who's posted and read this forum for more than a few months will recognise -- we've discussed almost everything in this document at one time or another.

"...recently rename Telstra Dome..." nice catch :D

I like how they've outlined several options for each subject highlighting weaknesses and benefits -- a much more balanced approach than your usual slanging match. Did they go to the Monotonehell school of photoshopping stadiums on google maps? ;)

(The only thing I don't agree with is the constant misspelling of Adelaidians. It's either Adelaidians or Adelaideans either is acceptable. Not Adelaidian’s.) ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#4 Post by Shuz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:10 am

I like some elements of the proposal...

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Wayno » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:36 am

lots of good ideas - well done lads!

Some questions:
* how do you intend to get traction with your proposal?
* to whom is it being sent?
* what about media coverage?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Howie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:24 pm

James will be online tonight to reply to some of these questions.. thanks :)

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by omada » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:49 pm

I'm blown away! Fantastic effort guys, it is good to see another group of forward thinkers in SA. Lets get this State moving!

Vision For Adelaide
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by Vision For Adelaide » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:12 pm

Evening All,

Some background and extra pieces of information.

We are ordinary group of people - no ties to government, councils, developers etc - we simply want this blank canvas called Adelaide to be painted with brighter colours then is currently proposed.

We have been submitting proposals to ACC and government for some time, we decided to get serious and bring together a lot of our (and we believe many South Australians) ideas and hopes to the fray and try to make people notice, basically out of shear frustration - particulalry on the Victoria Park decision.

We only have basic tools availible to us and offcourse we all work fulltime so apologies for some of the mockups and refinement. We are trying to get an architect on board to get some formal sketches and capture our plan more concisely and we hope to bring some more economics and further plans to a second proposal.

So far we have submitted the proposal to Business SA, SA Tourism, both sides of government, Sunday Mail/Advertiser, all ACC councilors and the Adelaide Parklands Management Strategy. We are attempting to get in touch with the SAJC and SA Motorsport board to work together on the Victoria Park proposal and bring stakeholders back to the table. We also have been contacted to have further discussions with some of the above mentioned parties.

We have also sent a copy to Property Oz and some key building industry personnel who are keen for Adelaide to move forward.

So far we have received very good feedback, and hope to build on a positive start.

We would urge all Sensational Adelaide members to participate actively in making submissions to council and goverment, they will only listen if you submit, its that simple. As some of you may know Victoria Parks current plan (to scrap horse racing etc) was approved with around 1100 respondents with only 55% for the proposal, 15% against and the rest undecided. Many of the ideas brought to the fray in this forum meet staunch opposition form very organised and very conservative groups who are our complete opposites from an ideological stand point. These people do submit and they do get what they want as with such low participation rates their few hundres members make all the difference. So I would urge you all to keep your eye on the councils website and submit and respond to their proposals.

Coming up to election and with governments writing policy now, if we really do want change now is the time to make sure your heard and push your ideas through.

If you are keen to be involved drop us an email and lend us your support and ideas [email protected] during discussions knowing we have 5, 10 or 50 others with aligned views always helps.

We hope to hear from as many of you as possible.

James
Vision for Adelaide Team
Last edited by Vision For Adelaide on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vision For Adelaide
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#9 Post by Vision For Adelaide » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:12 pm

Also, thankyou all for your comments and feedback. Its appreciated in all forms.

James
Vision for Adelaide Team
Last edited by Vision For Adelaide on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by jk1237 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:08 pm

wow, a great overall submission. :D I hope the sensational-adelaide community and yours can join forces to make our city much better. I agree with all your proposals although the one I dont personally care much over anymore is the riverfront dining area. It would be good to have it though. All the others I believe are great. The proposals for the squares and the Festival Theatre plaza could and should be accomplished in a few years

jimbly_
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by jimbly_ » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi James

Page 2 - Proposed Initiatives -Last point

It is our hope that a conceited effort by our leaders.....

Possibly concerted? :o

Jim

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by Paulns » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:21 pm

Awesome submission guys, well down!!! 100% behind you, especially on the Victoria Park Race course idea and the new Multi purpose stadium!! Ohh and by the way, the idea of combining the Basket ball stadium with a Tennis arena at Memorial Drive. Great idea, can't believe no ones proposed that idea before..
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by monotonehell » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:59 am

jimbly_ wrote:Hi James

Page 2 - Proposed Initiatives -Last point

It is our hope that a conceited effort by our leaders.....

Possibly concerted? :o

Jim
:D If you're going to make a typo, make an ironic one. :D
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#14 Post by Strangled Cat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:55 pm

Brilliant vision and I agree with just about all of it. I see so much potential in Adelaide, and it's good to see that so many others do too. When I first came here 4 years ago I was gobsmacked to see all the potential sites which would make this city into a premier city in this country and the world totally unutilised.

Just one other thing, wouldn't the sale of AAMI stadium net a lot more than $75m? I heard that the land alone could be sold to housing developers for an estimated $300m?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Will » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:19 pm

Excellent work. This city needs people like this to move it forward and tip the scales in our favour. I look forward to the day when my children will live in an Adelaide where the NIMBY's are viewed with the ridicule they deserve.

IN addition, whilst I support the principles of the plan, I think there is scope for more 'attractions' in the plan. As part of our own submission to the ACC we suggested the idea of an international botanic gardens on the currently barren southern parklands. Would it be possible to incorporate such an idea into your vision?