#VIS: Riverside (Entertainment Precinct)

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

Re: #VIS: Riverside (Entertainment Precinct)

#121 Post by adam73837 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:36 pm

aussie2000 wrote:first, i love the liberals plan, but if i were in charge this would be mine, keep the liberals plan, only difference would be that the entertainment centre would have to hold 25-30 thousand people,
And make it an architecturally impressive icon for Riverside! 8) Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the official capacity of the current Entertainment Centre? -Just asking, 'cause you may not want to make the new one too big.
aussie2000 wrote:instead of a large multi-purpose stadium maybe build a smaller 30 thousand seat soccer stadium (for soccer and rugby),
I also thought of that, since Hindmarsh won't necessarily have the land available to expand it to such a capacity. if such a thing were to be built on Riversdie, also make it architecturally impressive; like Allianz Arena! 8) 8) 8)
aussie2000 wrote:use the money saved to turn Adelaide Oval into a 60 thousand seat stadium (for football and cricket)
However allow it to be configured for International Socceroos and Wallabies matches as well as for a FIFA World Cup, or the Rugby 7s World Cup which Australia want to bid for, with Adelaide as the host city 8) .
aussie2000 wrote:and upgrade the tennis stadium next to Adelaide Oval to hold 25 thousand people, and then you have a great state sports park right next to the city!!! also the tennis and soccer stadiums would have retractable roofs.
I agree with your concept for a State Sports Park right next to the city and I also agree with the Tennis Arena being upgraded, however unless we're certain that it will constantly be constantly utilised, is it worth making it cater for about 25 thousand? (Just wondering, not holding anyone by the scruff of the collar or anything)
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#122 Post by Norman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:25 pm

And make it an architecturally impressive icon for Riverside! 8) Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the official capacity of the current Entertainment Centre? -Just asking, 'cause you may not want to make the new one too big.
The current EC holds up to 12 500 people, with a second venue under construction holding 2500 or 5000 people.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#123 Post by aussie2000 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:27 pm

adam73837 wrote: I agree with your concept for a State Sports Park right next to the city and I also agree with the Tennis Arena being upgraded, however unless we're certain that it will constantly be constantly utilised, is it worth making it cater for about 25 thousand? (Just wondering, not holding anyone by the scruff of the collar or anything)
yer maybe a bit too big, maybe 15 thousand, seeings we have the new entertainment centre :), the tennis arena won't need to be used for concert or anything really big lol, thanks for your comments

thechap
High Rise Poster!

#124 Post by thechap » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:40 am

Having not read through all of the first nine pages of posts I'm almost certainly sure this has been said but I have to say that as a non-partial voter who is a little dissapointed with the current governments commitment to development, this riverside development does begin to swing the pendulum...
"The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair." - Relient K

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#125 Post by skyliner » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:36 am

I think someone has already said this - but it seems to be either electrified railways (and the new hospital in this location) or this proposal - with government to match.

I am partial to the railway/tram development -it is currenly out of date and an embarrassment. (except the new trams and line). With TODS and the effect of good PT on the city overall it poses significant benefit on a broad scale.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#126 Post by adam73837 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:13 pm

Norman wrote:
The current EC holds up to 12 500 people, with a second venue under construction holding 2500 or 5000 people.
<SIGH> Dare I say; another project here and there, with no complete vision for the city. Typical of Rann. :roll: :lol: BTW, what, may I ask, is the capacity of the Festival Theatre, does anyone know?
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Schultzy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#127 Post by Schultzy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:07 pm

im all for these plans by the liberal party. although it seems they have been shot in the foot a little with the SANFL and SACA saying they dont want the stadium.

However i think it is about time both governments start to look at 2018/2022. now i know im a little bit partial here and it is a hoping matter. but if our government cannot make a promise for an international standard stadium by the end of this year, we will be the only city in Australia to miss out on the biggest competition this country has ever seen. If Australia can win the bid for the world cup, it is not just a sport that comes to our fantastic country, its tourism, and economic boom. The world cup would financially bring many times more income to the country than the sydney olympics did, and not just the world cup comes with it, but also the confederations cup the year before and so on. the whole world would be watching, and if Australia manage to win this bid and Adelaide miss out, we will be the embarassment of this country.

Even despite this competition a rectangular stadium of decent sized would help us to lure rugby and soccer international games, and other entertainment occurances, not to mention that adelaide united would prosper alot better in a city based stadium and will need an upgrade by those said years anyway.

if football and cricket don't want the stadium. then build it for the codes that do, and the codes that will benefit this city on an international scene.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#128 Post by Cruise » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:14 pm

Strangled Cat wrote: Hate to be pedantic, but Waverley is actually 22km away, but still far enough for it to be a problem. AAMI stadium is about 13km, but I think this hurts Adelaide even more than it did Melbourne relative to the size difference. The other thing to note is that Waverley hosted predominantly Hawthorn, with the second team to call it home being St Kilda. Both those teams, especially St Kilda, have most of their supporter base located in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. For Port, Alberton is just a stone throw away from AAMI, so you'd think that most of their supporters would be from around that area anyway, and that logistically AAMI wouldn't pose a problem. I think for Port Adelaide - and I wish to not offend anyone here when I say this, but generally their supporters come from a lower socio-economic area which has a lot to do with their off field finacial dramas.

The problem I really have with AAMI is the lopsidedness of the location of it for a team which encompasses the whole city to be based there. What I mean is, like I said before about Port Adelaide, you get a true "home" sense with Port Playing there as Alberton, their spiritual home ground just as Glenferrie oval is to Hawthorn, Windy Hill to Essendon etc, is just a stone's throw away from AAMI. For Adelaide though, I think it's only fitting that they play in a location central to everyone, and that can only obviously be on the fringes of the CBD. For people my end of town, AAMI is just too far to go. The footy express helps, but even then it leaves too promptly after the game, and it's usually way overcrowded and often their just isn't enough of them. That won't deter me from going to see Geelong play there next weekend, but I'd much rather go to a centrally located ground with easy access to the city afterwards than have to make my way back from West Lakes.
Yeah i actually guessed when i said 26 km's lol.

The reason Port Supporters don't like travelling to Footy Park is because the Crows are based there the fact is Footy Park IS the crows homeground. It was just up to this year the Crows had its admin faclities on the western wing and the Crows tavern on the eastern wing, which changed names this year to Checkside to give the ground a more netural feel.

Look at it this way, say you are a Port supporter and you are walking in to watch your team play a home game but to get there you have to walk past the Crow's new 3 story club rooms which i have no doubt will be covered in red, blue and gold paint and the building will be visible from the Eastern (broadcast) side of the ground.
Now, despite the ground being in West Lakes how can anyone expect Port supporters to consider that ground their own? Now i rarely miss a power home game but as it is you can't help but to feel like a measly tenant.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#129 Post by Pistol » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:49 pm

Does anyone know the capacity of the Rhino Room? :lol:

How many Riverside threads are going around atm?
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#130 Post by rev » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:57 pm

adam73837 wrote:
Norman wrote:
<SIGH> Dare I say; another project here and there, with no complete vision for the city. Typical of Rann. :roll: :lol: BTW, what, may I ask, is the capacity of the Festival Theatre, does anyone know?
No real vision for the city by Rann?
The current Entertainment Centre is undergoing a redevelopment, with a tram line linking it directly with the city and beyond in the works.
Mr Hamilton Smith comes along, throws out a photoshop of the railyards and surrounding areas, including an Entertainment Centre, and you attack Rann for having no real vision for the city?
What exactly is Adelaide going to do with two Entertainment Centres?

I might consider thinking of voting Liberal in 2010, if for one thing. If this proposal, vision, call it what you want, had been drawn up with consultation & backing from SACA, SANFL & FFA. Because right now as it stands, we have the SANFL redeveloping AAMI, SACA redeveloping Adelaide Oval, and the FFA wanting a new stadium(Adelaide United had come up with a stadium proposal some time ago). In other words, the three major codes here are all doing/wanting something different each other.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#131 Post by ricecrackers » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:44 pm

if Rann does have a vision for the city can somebody please tell me what it is?
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#132 Post by Will » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:38 pm

ricecrackers wrote:if Rann does have a vision for the city can somebody please tell me what it is?
Bringing our public transport infraestructure into the 21st century as well as the establishment of TOD's is quite visionary. As is the government's initiatives into making Adelaide a regional university city.

However, I admit that entertainment in the CBD is the government's achilles heel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#133 Post by Wayno » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:12 pm

ricecrackers wrote:if Rann does have a vision for the city can somebody please tell me what it is?
No clear vision, more like voices in his head :lol:

No govt will publish a visionary "to do" list if that's what you want. It would give the media a field day, get picked to death, cause public in-fighting, and ultimately be political suicide. However, it's quite easy to see Labors general direction - which aims to partially satisfy everyone in a "non-strategic vision" sort of way:

* TODs - lots of them (with above average PT)
* Roads - mostly out north where industry growth is strongest (build infrastructure to leverage jobs growth). Some inner city road projects to show modicum of progress
* PT - Tram extension to help sell the first TOD project (this is the only sexy project underway)
* Water - become mostly independent of the Murray via desalination. Increasingly introduce recycled water projects as public acceptance grows (but only when it's a vote winner)
* Health - build a new hospital. Threaten to hold breath and turn blue if people disagree with railyards location
* Jobs - slooowly move away from low-IQ manufacturing (although there will always be a place for it). Become Australia's defence/technology hub with more skilled labor positions - this is a BIG deal but the general public will never really get it (truly a recession proof & ever-growing industry)
* Mining - continue with PACE program which has been VERY successful in building the basis of our mining industry. Again, the general public can't really appreciate what's been done to date. It will be a case of mining becoming an "overnight success" in 2-3 years time
* CBD Development - introduced $10m limit for ACC project approval (a good decision indeed)
* Entertainment Infrastructure - Bits and pieces (AAMI stadium, ent centre upgrade, marion pool)
* Entertainemnt Events - continue to grow SA as the festival state (TDU, Womad, Fringe, blah)

So most of the pieces are in place. Some are being done well - some are woeful. What's missing is a couple more sexy projects to get the public onside; but all Rann has to do is look at the title of this thread - a CBD based entertainment precinct!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#134 Post by ricecrackers » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:42 pm

slightly off topic, but please don't propagate the myth that Rann's party brought the TDU to Adelaide!
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#135 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:33 pm

No, but he made the Tour Down Under a much bigger event.

Same with the Adelaide Fringe and other events.