Vision: Riverside 2

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

Vision: Riverside 2

#1 Post by Shuz » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:20 pm

Would anyone be able to put a cost estimate on the process of physically moving the Parliament House across to the other side of the North Terrace intersection onto the Government House grounds.ie: through the process of not dismantling the building and rebuilding, but actually 'digging' a hole under and around the premises and into a cutting across KWS and the Government House grounds, where it could be set back, with provision for the 'North Terrace streetscape' to be built in front of it. This way the area where Parliament House is now, could then be used to also shift the Adelaide Railway Station, again setback for the North Terrace streetscape, and also, enable the modification of the current station to support interstate and underground platforms. The advantage this would give the Railway Station is to mimic the success of Melbourne's Flinders Street Station being at the very apex of the city's busiest intersection. This could then offer the oppurtunity for a very proper Federation Square-style plaza to be built behind it, with immediate connections into the station and underground platforms.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Vision: Riverside 2

#2 Post by AtD » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:29 pm

That is definitely one of your stranger ideas, Shuz.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:54 pm

I don't think they moved Spencer Street Station just for Fed Square, Shuz ;) It simply fit into their mould, something we should do, not just copy other cities because it works over there, but to make something unique to our city.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Omicron » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:33 pm

Aidan

#5 Post by Aidan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:49 pm

Shuz wrote:Would anyone be able to put a cost estimate on the process of physically moving the Parliament House across to the other side of the North Terrace intersection onto the Government House grounds.ie: through the process of not dismantling the building and rebuilding, but actually 'digging' a hole under and around the premises and into a cutting across KWS and the Government House grounds, where it could be set back, with provision for the 'North Terrace streetscape' to be built in front of it. This way the area where Parliament House is now, could then be used to also shift the Adelaide Railway Station, again setback for the North Terrace streetscape, and also, enable the modification of the current station to support interstate and underground platforms. The advantage this would give the Railway Station is to mimic the success of Melbourne's Flinders Street Station being at the very apex of the city's busiest intersection. This could then offer the oppurtunity for a very proper Federation Square-style plaza to be built behind it, with immediate connections into the station and underground platforms.
Isn't the City's busiest intersection on West Terrace?

The obstacle to underground platforms beneath the station is the Convention Centre and ASER, not Parliament House. But is it really important to have them beneath the station at all? Under North Terrace seems to me to be a better location because it's closer to the destination of far more passengers.

I admit I've never been to Federation Square, so I'm puzzled as to why there's such a strong urge to emulate it. Obviously it's something that works, so anyone planning large new high density urban development should take note - but I don't understand why people think we should copy it here when we're not. Can someone please explain?

As for the original question, I can't give a figure, but I'm pretty sure it would be considerably more than a building that didn't extend below ground level, and shifting it would be slow and cause considerable disruption, even before you consider the pipes. What puzzles me is why you'd want to move it rather than simply go under it!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#6 Post by Shuz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:05 am

Moving both buildings would allow Parliament House to retain its position being at the corner of the intersection, thus allowing the Railway Station to be relocated into a far more accessible and focal point for its users and allowing the full maximisation of redevelopment oppurtunities as a terminus and throughfare for regional, interstate and domestic train services. Other significant benefits to come of this also offers the oppurtunity for the continuation of the North Terrace Cultural Precinct and streetscape, which as it is now, is currently disrupted by the buildings close frontage to North Terrace. We all know that the Government House lands is undoubtedly one of the biggest wastes of space in the CBD, and even the Governor themselves is not making much use of it. With such a ambitious project, it opens up scope for oppurtunity to also 'get it right' for once and for all with the current Riverside/ASER/Festival Theatre precinct, rather than ad-hoc jobs every few years. It is one element of a masterplan. Piping and electrical services are all things that can be disconnected & reconnected, a small task in comparision to dismantling and reassembling both public buildings, a cost too high and which would be better off being 'moved' by the neccessary earthworks and machinery to carry out the task for signifcantly less the cost.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by AtD » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:23 pm

We could consolidate the two buildings by placing one atop the other, thereby creating more space for parklands. The significant benefits include the possibility for full maximization of opportunities and a cohesion of outcomes for the urban fabric. It wouldn't be hard to relocate all the electrical cables so I can't see any problems.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#8 Post by Cruise » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 pm

how..... odd

Aidan

#9 Post by Aidan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:44 pm

While we're on the subject of Parliament House, what does everyone else think of the idea of constructing the dome that was originally planned for it but never built due to lack of funding?

I'm in favour, as long as it remains the lowest project on the list. If we ever get it built, it should be regarded as a statement that we've made it!

Shuz wrote:Moving both buildings would allow Parliament House to retain its position being at the corner of the intersection, thus allowing the Railway Station to be relocated into a far more accessible and focal point for its users and allowing the full maximisation of redevelopment oppurtunities as a terminus and throughfare for regional, interstate and domestic train services. Other significant benefits to come of this also offers the oppurtunity for the continuation of the North Terrace Cultural Precinct and streetscape, which as it is now, is currently disrupted by the buildings close frontage to North Terrace. We all know that the Government House lands is undoubtedly one of the biggest wastes of space in the CBD, and even the Governor themselves is not making much use of it. With such a ambitious project, it opens up scope for oppurtunity to also 'get it right' for once and for all with the current Riverside/ASER/Festival Theatre precinct, rather than ad-hoc jobs every few years. It is one element of a masterplan. Piping and electrical services are all things that can be disconnected & reconnected, a small task in comparision to dismantling and reassembling both public buildings, a cost too high and which would be better off being 'moved' by the neccessary earthworks and machinery to carry out the task for signifcantly less the cost.
The issue of pipes I was referring to related to the ones under King William Road.

Why do you assume that a four storey masonry building that's partly below ground level can be moved intact significantly more cheaply than dismantling and rebuilding it?

Why would extending the North Terrace Cultural Precinct be so significant? Where do you imagine it should be extended to, and why? And what do you think defines the precinct? I'd regard it as the purpose of the buildings, not the geographical contiguousness. If the Constitutional Museum in Old Parliament House were to be reopened, I'd count it as part of the Cultural Precinct, regardless of the location of Parliament House.

AtD, don't forget smilies are available. And they are needed, because no matter how silly the things that get said are, someone is bound to seriously suggest something sillier.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Wayno » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:51 pm

shuz, i like how you think - keep the brainstorming alive!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by mattblack » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:55 pm

I want to know what combination of drugs you are on Shuz for this giant game of tetris to pop into your head. I want some dammit !!

P.S. My wife has just piped up and she'll have some as well :D

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#12 Post by Shuz » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:21 pm

Oh yeah sure thing. New drugs, real whacked. They're red. Have a Mitsubishi logo on them. Not quite sure what they are?

Aidan

#13 Post by Aidan » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:19 am

Shuz wrote:Oh yeah sure thing. New drugs, real whacked. They're red. Have a Mitsubishi logo on them. Not quite sure what they are?
Hasn't anyone alerted you to the dangers of expired medications?

The ones with a Mitsubishi logo on them went off last year!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#14 Post by Cruise » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:23 pm

Cruise would also like to order one of shuz's super special drug cocktails.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by fabricator » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:52 pm

Surely it would be easier to move the entire CBD instead, leave the Parliament House and train station where they are now. :lol:

Mind you the station wouldn't be that hard, we can just put wooden blocks on the trains and move it by rail.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.