Little ideas for a big city

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Little ideas for a big city

#1 Post by AtD » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:12 pm

This is a thread for all those little ideas that come into your head (or at least my head) at random, that would improve the life of the people of Adelaide. "Little" means:
  • Cheap. No pies in skies, underground monorails or golden phalluses.
  • Politically realistic. No causing mass political upheaval, vast swarms of NIMBYs or rewriting the constitution.
  • No more than a small handful of sentences and a few photos to get the idea and the logic behind it across.
  • Originality isn't required, but it helps.
Here's one. My small idea for a big city is to plug one of several gaps in the North Terrace streetscape - the dark and gloomy area under the Morphette Street Bridge.

The ACC could lease out this space on the southern side to retailers. If they wished, they could fit two or three tenancies, or one cafe with a lot of seating. Being next to the university but in a less than glamorous location, a convenience store would suit well, or a food outlet aimed at students. An added bonus is some extra revenue for council.

What are your little ideas?

Vee
Legendary Member!

Re: Little ideas for a big city

#2 Post by Vee » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:12 pm

AtD wrote:This is a thread for all those little ideas that come into your head (or at least my head) at random, that would improve the life of the people of Adelaide.
What are your little ideas?
Improved signage (physical) with maps and access options (interactive, mobile) to oft required information for residents amd visitors. International symbols as appropriate.
Examples include information to find the Adelaide Central Market and Adelaide Bus Station; where to access the free bus; how/where to find the nearest public toilets; wifi hot spots/precincts, preferably with cafes.
Several times recently I have had to assist visitors to find their way to the Central Market.
Public toilets are an essential service. The Australian Government has a public toilet map site and also advertises mobile phone access but this information is not always readily available when out and about in the city.
http://www.toiletmap.gov.au/

Smart solutions eg using GPS, RFID etc may be integrated into future solutions but some extra signage, incorporating maps, across the city would be very helpful and visitor friendly.

Another 'little idea' involves Adelaide Airport - lots of stark white, unwelcoming walls!!!
You have arrived in ....? Where? What does Adelaide and SA have to offer?

Lots of sporting events feature the name of the host city in prominent locations around the event, why not Adelaide Airport?
And add some large artworks, photos, murals etc. by local artists/photographers depicting South Australian scenes/themes/attractions etc. along the walls, arrival and departure lounges and around the terminal.
SA has alot to offer and Adelaide Airport should be a prime showcase. :D

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by monotonehell » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:31 pm

I was on the J1 bus coming from Adelaide Airport to the city tonight. Two overseas backpakers (a couple of young ladies) got on at the airport and needed to go to the Central Bus Station. The driver helped as much as he could, called them when we arrived at the closest stop on Currie and gave them directions to walk to there.

This was a around 9pm in the dark, through back streets. Not particularly dangerous, but daunting for a couple of tourists who just landed in Adelaide that hour.

Why not run the J1 straight down SirDB, onto Grote street, and past the Bus Station (down Bowen street) back onto Morphet via Franklin and back to Currie to continue into the CBD and onto the O'Bahn?

I can think of a few challenges, that section of SirDB Drive is very busy, and the time tables would require adjustment to cater for the diversion. But we really should be linking the Airport with the Bus Station.

Or instead we could have the actual bus station at the airport... no wait that's a BIG idea... ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:17 am

monotonehell wrote:Or instead we could have the actual bus station at the airport... no wait that's a BIG idea... ;)
We could just relocate the airport to the CBD... :lol:

Small ideas... there are plenty out there:
-Add more bus priority lanes, particularly at intersections.
-Indent more bus stops.
-Install a Google Maps info unit hard-coded for public transport info at the Info Centre, Adelaide Railway Station and major shopping centres.
-Extend the Smart Stop initiative to all CBD bus and tram stops, interchanges and major shopping centres.
-Install CCTV and LED information screen at all train stations.
-Add Wi-Fi transmitters on trains (Only costs $4m for Brisbane's system - http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 541535.htm)
-Improve the distribution of the New Connections booklet to get a wider audience, ie all major railway stations, interchanges, major shopping centres.
-Improve signage at railway stations and tram stops to points of interest, major roads and other public transport modes.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by mattblack » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:49 am

Make sure all the bike lanes are continuous and connect to eachother. Many bike lanes start and end suddenly. The parlands trail is quite isolated from incomming bike paths from the suburbs. Signpost the bike lanes at intersections, bloody easy to get lost ot miss turn-offs at the moment.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Will » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:01 am

Great thread Adam! I think the Rundle Lantern has shown that you do not have to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to create something special that adds to the vibe.

I personally would like the ACC to divert more funds into making the CBD a more attractive place to visit. For example, there are streets in the CBD such as Franklin Street which are simply embarrassing. Placing power lines underground, placing attractive paving and planting a few trees would make a huge difference.

Furthermroe I would like the ACC to complete the Grote Street makeover all the way to West Terrace. Likewise, it would be great to upgrade the stretch of Gouger Street between West Terrace and Morphett Street so that it matches the portion where all the restaurants are. Such an idea would encourage more restaurants and other businesses to open up in the western end of Gouger Street.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Wayno » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:22 pm

Ban shutters from being installed on shopfronts (if not done already), and financially assist owners of shops with shutters to change to more "friendly and cosmetically attractive" methods of ensuring security. This could be done slowly one-shop-at-a-time if funds are limited.

Here's an extract from the Gehl Report:
shutters.JPG
shutters.JPG (117.68 KiB) Viewed 7707 times
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Wayno » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:35 pm

I also love how footpaths in Copenhagen continue over side streets. Pedestrians ALWAYS get priority, and vehicles ALWAYS pause BEFORE crossing the footpath! This drastically increases safety and makes for a friendlier atmosphere...
footpath-over-side-street.JPG
footpath-over-side-street.JPG (9.29 KiB) Viewed 7701 times
Such a simple change - and could be done one-street-at-a-time over a few years...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#9 Post by ricecrackers » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:59 pm

Wayno wrote:I also love how footpaths in Copenhagen continue over side streets. Pedestrians ALWAYS get priority, and vehicles ALWAYS pause BEFORE crossing the footpath! This drastically increases safety and makes for a friendlier atmosphere...
footpath-over-side-street.JPG
Such a simple change - and could be done one-street-at-a-time over a few years...
it would be a nice change, but the culture of the Danish people is one of consideration for others whereas here in Australia and particularly SA, its "me first, F#%# the rest", when it comes to road culture. Zebra crossings have practically been abandoned as most drivers ignore them and they're a safety hazard to pedestrians of good faith. I can speak from first hand experience of that.

perhaps cutting the speed limit to 40km/h in the CBD would be of some benefit as most South Australians understand that law at least thanks to our big brother speed cameras. i really dont see the need to be traveling any faster through that area.
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#10 Post by Aidan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:31 pm

Does running enough buses and trams to meet demand count as a little idea?

I agree with all of Norman's ideas, but disagree with Mono - it isn't worth slowing down such a busy bus route for the benefit of so few people. A better solution would be extend to the airport one of the bus services that currently terminate in Victoria Square, giving direct airport access to many thousands of people.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by AtD » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:53 pm

Norman wrote:-Indent more bus stops.
Don't indented stops slow traffic down? If the left lane is not already a bus lane, the bus has to battle it's way into traffic.
Will wrote:I personally would like the ACC to divert more funds into making the CBD a more attractive place to visit. For example, there are streets in the CBD such as Franklin Street which are simply embarrassing. Placing power lines underground, placing attractive paving and planting a few trees would make a huge difference.
The biggest problem with Franklin Street specifically is there are so many empty buildings along it. It's a chicken and egg argument - which comes first? You're right - the council needs to bite the bullet and act first, because it doesn't look like the private sector will.
Wayno wrote:Ban shutters from being installed on shopfronts (if not done already), and financially assist owners of shops with shutters to change to more "friendly and cosmetically attractive" methods of ensuring security. This could be done slowly one-shop-at-a-time if funds are limited.
You're quite right, bonus points for you.

It'd help if there was something open after hours in the Mall, even if it was just Maccas.
Wayno wrote:I also love how footpaths in Copenhagen continue over side streets. Pedestrians ALWAYS get priority, and vehicles ALWAYS pause BEFORE crossing the footpath! This drastically increases safety and makes for a friendlier atmosphere...
Agreed. The entrance to the Harris Scarfe car park is a prime contender. The psychological effect the types of surfaces and levels of road and footpath need to be understood and exploited more. For example, the exit of the ex John Martins car park on North Terrace shouldn't have the footpath pavement continue over it as it is a controlled intersection - many inattentive pedestrians don't realise they have to stop for traffic there.
ricecrackers wrote:it would be a nice change, but the culture of the Danish people is one of consideration for others whereas here in Australia and particularly SA, its "me first, F#%# the rest", when it comes to road culture. Zebra crossings have practically been abandoned as most drivers ignore them and they're a safety hazard to pedestrians of good faith. I can speak from first hand experience of that.
It's an interesting cultural difference to the eastern states. Here, drivers seem to fear zebra crossings because if they do hit someone, they'll most likely be sued, most likely be seen at fault and sometimes even not be covered by their insurance. There's very little defence for hitting a pedestrian at an adequately marked crossing.
Aidan wrote:I agree with all of Norman's ideas, but disagree with Mono - it isn't worth slowing down such a busy bus route for the benefit of so few people. A better solution would be extend to the airport one of the bus services that currently terminate in Victoria Square, giving direct airport access to many thousands of people.
Do many people use the J-series buses east of the City? I think the RAH diversion should be removed for that very reason - it adds quite a delay to save a short walk. Why not have a stop on East Tce?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Another little idea, stolen from NSW. Paint speed limits on every lane, so there is no question or doubt. It's far too easy in SA to miss a change in limit because of inadequate signs, especially in multiple lanes of traffic. Even if the ACC alone did this, it'd highlight the fact that the CBD is a 50 zone, as almost none of the streets leading into it are.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#12 Post by ricecrackers » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:57 pm

AtD wrote:____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Another little idea, stolen from NSW. Paint speed limits on every lane, so there is no question or doubt. It's far too easy in SA to miss a change in limit because of inadequate signs, especially in multiple lanes of traffic. Even if the ACC alone did this, it'd highlight the fact that the CBD is a 50 zone, as almost none of the streets leading into it are.
- revenue SA are banking on us not knowing the limits
- the speed limit in the CBD should be 40, well at least in the streets that are frequented by many pedestrians, eg Rundle, Hindley and the north part of KW
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by mattblack » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:17 pm

Light up more of our hertiage listed buildings at night which will improve the streetscape.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:02 pm

More overhead signage

I can think of a number of roads that need it like West Terrace, Sir Donald Bradman Drive, South Road, Main North Road, Portrush Road etc...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by monotonehell » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:34 pm

Some street furniture gets in the way of pedestrians and parked car doors *bang*. More attention should be placed on the holistic layout of such items, how they relate to each other and whether they provide unneccesary clutter -- especially on narrow footpaths. In some places this is compounded by sandwich boards put out by local traders.

For example, parking signs are planted along most streets at about 10m intervals meaning that the side of the footpath closest to the gutter is blocked, which means that two pedestrians walking in opposite directions need to avoid each other sometimes (Gawler Place is a good example of this).

Perhaps parking signs could be suspended somehow or avoided all together by some other road markings.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.