Adelaide has to build a NEW stadium for 2018/2022 World Cup

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: Adelaide has to build a NEW stadium for 2018/2022 World Cup

#121 Post by Cruise » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:09 pm

Briggzy_03 wrote:
flavze wrote:
Cruise wrote:I never said the AFL clubs are going great guns.

But do you see supporters of struggling Melbourne AFL clubs saying they need there own individual swanky new stadiums?

I only see AUFC supporters doing that.

For the record i'm an AUFC member and a PAFC member, are you an AUFC or even an AFC member? I didn't think so.
Not owning playing in there own stadium is a major reason as to why alot of AFL clubs are having financial trouble. If a footy club of any code owns and plays out of their own stadium they bank every dollar generated on match day from drinks, food, carparking, executive suites and so on.
Geelong play out of a 23k oval and bank around 400k a game due to having complete control over it. Imagine how much money teams like the crows would be making if the didn't have to give any money to the SANFL from gameday income.

I think it's up to the clubs to pay for them though, not rely on the government to pay for it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the SANFL own the Adelaide Crows?
The SANFL own both AFC and PAFC

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#122 Post by Tyler_Durden » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:27 pm

adam73837 wrote:IMO, the golden moment was Andrew Demetriou stating that the FFA would have to negotiate with him and the MCC regarding useage of the stadium/s in the World Cup should we win the rights to host. So now he thinks he can step in the way of what many consider to be the second greatest sporting tournament on the planet (behind the Olympics)? lol! I guarantee you that he would be one of many sitting in a corporate box in several of the WC Matches being played in Melbourne. :D
Adam, you have a lot to learn.

It has nothing to do with Demetriou stepping in the way of the World Cup. It has everything to do with him protecting the business that he is paid to administer. The AFL have contractual arrangements to play at the MCG and Etihad among other stadiums. Obviously if those deals are going to be relinquished then then the AFL is going to rightly require compensation. Hence, negotiations. These things don't just happen with a click of the fingers, or the click of a smiley button on an internet forum.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#123 Post by adam_stuckey » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Asian Cup bid key to World Cups, says FFA

Football Federation Australia could be uncontested in its bid to host the 2015 Asian Cup and believes hosting the tournament would greatly boost the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids.

As several key appointments for the bid teams were announced on Wednesday, the FFA was upbeat about Australia's chances of hosting the 2015 Asian Cup, believing it already has the infrastructure to host the tournament.

While Australia faces competition from Asian neighbours Japan, South Korea, Indonesia and Qatar for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, no other country has yet expressed interest in hosting the Asian Cup in 2015.

"At this stage we're the only country that has put our name forward for the 2015 Asian Cup and expressions of interest or intentions to bid closed off some time ago," FFA chief executive Ben Buckley said on Wednesday.

"There's nothing that we've heard or seen that would suggest any other country is planning to host the Asian Cup.

"I can't speak for other countries and their ambitions but at this point in time we're the only country putting our name forward."

Buckley said winning rights to the tournament, which is contested by the top 16 nations in the Asian Football Confederation, would be a huge achievement for Australia.

"We shouldn't underestimate the size and scale of the Asian Cup," Buckley said.

"We're talking about teams from China, Korea, Japan, the Middle East, from India possibly if they were to qualify.

"You're talking about a huge region with two thirds of the world's population so behind the World Cup, the Asian Cup is probably up there in the top four or five sporting events and the top few football events in the world in terms of audiences and TV audiences and interest levels in an event."

Buckley did not believe hosting the competition could hurt Australia's chances of winning a World Cup or that FIFA would be reluctant to award it two major tournaments within a short space of time.

"In fact, we think it will help in getting investment made in the areas that we need if its stadia development or other city infrastructure required (for the World Cup bid)," Buckley said.

"I think it's a good test case for Australia if we were to be hosting a World Cup.

"To hold an international tournament of that magnitude and that scale would be a good test of Australia's readiness for a World Cup."

Buckley said Australia was equipped to host the event immediately.

"We think we're probably very well placed to host the Asian Cup without significant and additional infrastructure and investment," Buckley said.

Buckley said the tournament could be held either in January, as Qatar is doing for the 2011 tournament, or in June/July.

FFA announced on Wednesday current Head of A-League Operations Rob Abernethy would head up the team for the 2015 Asian Cup bid.

It was also announced Head of Major Events Stuart Taggart and Head of Corporate and Public Affairs Bonita Mersiades would move fulltime into the Asian and World Cup bids team
If we are as a city want to be taken seriously for these kinds of bids also we will need better facilities. This is the cold hard truth that we will have to face and the sooner we do, it there better or we will either bring down the FFA’s bid for these events or the FFA will just avoid Adelaide till it catches up with the rest of the country.
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#124 Post by adam73837 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:13 pm

adam_stuckey wrote: If we are as a city want to be taken seriously for these kinds of bids also we will need better facilities. This is the cold hard truth that we will have to face and the sooner we do, it there better or we will either bring down the FFA’s bid for these events or the FFA will just avoid Adelaide till it catches up with the rest of the country.
I agree with you Adam.
Tyler, could the AFL perhaps take a break for a month or play at venues such as Optus Oval or (when soccer matches aren't being played there) TD? It's not like they fill the MCG to the 100, 000 capacity every weekend. I'm sure that for the 4 or so out of the 26 weeks plus the however many weeks of the pre-season there are, the AFL can play at alternative venues for 4 rounds. It's not like there'll be soccer matches being played at the MCG and TD for the ENTIRE TIME, the other cities will be hosting matches as well. Quite frankly, I personally think that the AFL are being selfish in not being able to compensate a few matches at the MCG or TD to make way for the most widely viewed sporting event in the world (see wikipedia :) ) which they'll probably attend sitting in the corporate boxes drinking champagne :roll: :lol: . I promise that's the last time I'll mention the 'the-AFL-attending-the-world-cup-matches' thing.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#125 Post by flavze » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:02 am

Cruise wrote:
The SANFL own both AFC and PAFC
I thought the SANFL owned the AFL license to play in the AFL comp which in turn they leased to the Power and Crows. The SANFL owns the Crows as well but not Port, i thought Port was owned by the PAFC and the Scott family owned a share.

Even though the Crows are owned by the SANFL it is run as a seperate buisness entity i would imagine and has to provide for itself.

Part of both the clubs license leasing structure is to pay a percantage of their profits back to the SANFL to be shared amongst the SANFL clubs ontop of what the SANFL takes from the stadium on matchdays from catering and so forth.

If the 2 clubs were soley independant of the SANFL they would be alot better of financially, obviously to the detriment of the SANFL of course.

But one could also argue that the SANFL clubs should only operate within the financial means that they can generate for themselves anyway.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#126 Post by Tyler_Durden » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:12 pm

adam73837 wrote:Tyler, could the AFL perhaps take a break for a month or play at venues such as Optus Oval or (when soccer matches aren't being played there) TD? It's not like they fill the MCG to the 100, 000 capacity every weekend. I'm sure that for the 4 or so out of the 26 weeks plus the however many weeks of the pre-season there are, the AFL can play at alternative venues for 4 rounds. It's not like there'll be soccer matches being played at the MCG and TD for the ENTIRE TIME, the other cities will be hosting matches as well. Quite frankly, I personally think that the AFL are being selfish in not being able to compensate a few matches at the MCG or TD to make way for the most widely viewed sporting event in the world (see wikipedia :) ) which they'll probably attend sitting in the corporate boxes drinking champagne :roll: :lol: . I promise that's the last time I'll mention the 'the-AFL-attending-the-world-cup-matches' thing.
How old are you?

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#127 Post by adam_stuckey » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:56 am

adam73837 wrote:I agree with you Adam.
Tyler, could the AFL perhaps take a break for a month or play at venues such as Optus Oval or (when soccer matches aren't being played there) TD? It's not like they fill the MCG to the 100, 000 capacity every weekend. I'm sure that for the 4 or so out of the 26 weeks plus the however many weeks of the pre-season there are, the AFL can play at alternative venues for 4 rounds. It's not like there'll be soccer matches being played at the MCG and TD for the ENTIRE TIME, the other cities will be hosting matches as well. Quite frankly, I personally think that the AFL are being selfish in not being able to compensate a few matches at the MCG or TD to make way for the most widely viewed sporting event in the world (see wikipedia ) which they'll probably attend sitting in the corporate boxes drinking champagne . I promise that's the last time I'll mention the 'the-AFL-attending-the-world-cup-matches' thing.
During the olympics the AFL started the season in March and finished it in August so there's no reason why they couldn't do that again. Even a month break half way through the season wouldn't be bad or hard to do.
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

fasterthanlids
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#128 Post by fasterthanlids » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:10 am

adam73837 wrote:It's not like there'll be soccer matches being played at the MCG and TD for the ENTIRE TIME
No, but FIFA mandate that the stadiums that are used for World Cup matches are not used for any purpose other than Football (soccer) matches for a period 2 weeks prior to the world cup through to the date of the final. This exclusivity of use for a minimum of 6 weeks is what the AFL is concerned about from an operations point of view. It makes sense too, that given the AFL has a contract to play football games every week at the MCG (for example) they are entitled to some compensation for the inevitable revenue loss for playing games at Optus Oval, Olympic Park or wherever.

A 6 week break in the middle of the AFL season is pretty untenable - a week or two might be possible, but 6 weeks can't practically be done.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#129 Post by adam_stuckey » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:09 am

fasterthanlids wrote:
adam73837 wrote:It's not like there'll be soccer matches being played at the MCG and TD for the ENTIRE TIME
No, but FIFA mandate that the stadiums that are used for World Cup matches are not used for any purpose other than Football (soccer) matches for a period 2 weeks prior to the world cup through to the date of the final. This exclusivity of use for a minimum of 6 weeks is what the AFL is concerned about from an operations point of view. It makes sense too, that given the AFL has a contract to play football games every week at the MCG (for example) they are entitled to some compensation for the inevitable revenue loss for playing games at Optus Oval, Olympic Park or wherever.

A 6 week break in the middle of the AFL season is pretty untenable - a week or two might be possible, but 6 weeks can't practically be done.
During the olympics the AFL started the season in March and finished it in August so there's no reason why they couldn't do that again. Even a month break half way through the season wouldn't be bad or hard to do.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#130 Post by adam_stuckey » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:16 am

Rudd scores a goal for Oz

Australia's push to win the right to host the 2018 or 2022 World Cup gained momentum when Prime Minister Kevin Rudd met FIFA president Sepp Blatter at the game's headquarters in Zurich.

In a private meeting that lasted more than an hour, Rudd outlined Australia's claims to host the greatest show on earth.

He was accompanied by Football Federation Australia chairman Frank Lowy AC, FFA chief executive Ben Buckley and FIFA chief executive Jerome Valcke.

Lowy said that the Australian delegation received a very warm reception from the FIFA president.

"President Blatter is already well aware of Australia's strong track record in hosting major events," Lowy said.

"But it was a very good opportunity for Mr Blatter to hear personally from the prime minister of the government's support for the bid.

"We also spoke of the importance of Asia for the future growth and development of football and Australia's place as part of the Asian Football Confederation.

“Asia is on the rise economically, in terms of goods and services as well as in football.”

Lowy again took the opportunity to urge all Australians to get behind the bid.

"This bid is for football but, above all else, it is for Australia," he said.

FFA will be required to make a final presentation to football’s world governing body in December 2010 prior to the decision by the 24-man FIFA executive committee.

Individuals and organisations can join the bid by signing up at www.australia2018-2022.com.au.
I think that the fact that our Prime Minister makes this much effort to get the World Cup must mean something to FIFA I can’t really see Obama making time for that (maybe because he’s got better things to do) but I think that as a country from other countries point of view we appear to be completely behind the bid so from FIFA’s point of view why wouldn’t you go with a country that’s completely behind it government and all

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#131 Post by adam_stuckey » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:28 am

P.S. If you enjoyed seeing K.Rudd on Rove the other day you'll love him in the video of him meeting Sepp Blatter with Frank Lowy. He's so natural at general conversation!

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/australi ... -oz-203102

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#132 Post by adam_stuckey » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:47 pm

Knock Football At Your Peril

By Simon Hill

You have to laugh at some of the “anti-football” brigade – they sure pick their moments.

We should have seen it coming – A-League crowds are down (although Fox Sports viewing figures aren’t), and the sentences handed down to Ney Fabiano and Michael Theoklitos, for spitting and stomping respectively, make our game look a little tame next to the other football codes, where proper violence is not just enjoyed, it’s practically compulsory, on and off the field.

But one journalist’s comments in the Sydney Daily Telegraph still managed to raise a titter, given they came from a bloke who writes books on Aussie Rules.

For those of you fortunate enough to have missed the rumblings of another dinosaur stirring from his slumber, here are the quotes from a segment where he plays judge and jury over the so-called “sporting misdemeanours” of the week. (I think it’s meant to be witty.)

"Name: Soccer (sic) fans.

Crime: Pretentiousness, false and misleading conduct.
The Court says: Despite claims their sport is the true “world game’’, will soon become Australia’s premier sporting competition and should only be referred to as "football", indisputable evidence proves soccer has duller draws than cricket and more players who fall to the ground feigning injury than the entire cast of World Wrestling Entertainment.

Sentence: Writing on the blackboard no less than 100 times: “The A-League is nothing more than a dressed-up backwater suburban competition."

Mercifully, (and strangely, given our pretentiousness), the sporting gods are quick to answer these days – and this journalists epiphany was right under his nose.

It came in the shape of A-League club, Adelaide United, which drew a full house to Hindmarsh to play in an INTERNATIONAL competition.

The game against Bunyodkor was watched by a global audience, and the Reds’ achievement put South Australia on the map quicker than a hundred Grand Final wins by its AFL teams ever would.

Now, far be it from me to cast aspersions towards the other codes (because, of course, when we football-types do, we “lack a sense of humour” © Peter FitzSimons) but when was the last time an AFL team played an outfit from Japan? Or China?

On the recent trip to Uzbekistan, I only had to mention the word Australia to our taxi driver, and his eyes lit up. His connection with this far-off land wasn’t Gary Ablett (though he may have recognised him as the Liverpool defender in the 1980s), nor Kevin Sheedy (he’d have picked him as the Everton midfielder, same vintage) but Mark Viduka, Harry Kewell and Tim Cahill. Football is the “world game” because the world plays it, loves it, understands it and communicates through it.

Big business invests in it, Arab consortiums and Russian oligarchs buy controlling shares in it; and countries all over the world battle to stage its events.

The A-League may be a lowly link but like the Arabs and the Russians, it’s a part of the chain.

Contrast that to a certain other football code, which plays a ridiculous hybrid game to try and find a meaningful match overseas. A code whose charm offensive to its only international rival was to knock the crap out of them to such an extent that the opposition refused to play in 2007...

On the subject of draws, I perfectly understand people of this journalist’s generation not understanding the concept – people with that outlook do tend to see things in black and white; a bit like the photographs of their youth.

So, in order to make things a bit less likely to end in a draw, I’m proposing we follow the example of the English referee, who recently awarded a goal in the Reading vs Watford game, even though the ball merely passed close to the frame rather than into it. I wonder where he got that idea from, eh?

I’m with him on the issue of feigning injury, too. It’s a terrible blight on the game, and I’m sure everyone in this journalist’s native Melbourne agrees with him – especially Shane Wakelin.

As for that suburban backwater jibe – well, as Adelaide continues to take on the big guns of Asia, the “International Rules” series is featuring Australia and Ireland... again.

The world is on tenterhooks awaiting the outcome.
Here here to Simon I just get a great feeling everytime anyone in Australia talks about how football is on the move because Adelaide always gets a mention. Its just another example of how well Adelaide United did in the Asian Champions League to make the final

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#133 Post by Tyler_Durden » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:12 am

adam_stuckey wrote:I think that the fact that our Prime Minister makes this much effort to get the World Cup must mean something to FIFA I can’t really see Obama making time for that (maybe because he’s got better things to do) but I think that as a country from other countries point of view we appear to be completely behind the bid so from FIFA’s point of view why wouldn’t you go with a country that’s completely behind it government and all
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/sport ... .html?_r=1

You need to take the blinkers off. Every leader of a nation vying for the World Cup is out there spruiking their own cause. Rudd is hardly leading the pack. I'm not having a go at Kev, he's doing what he can and what he should but he's hardly on his own.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#134 Post by adam_stuckey » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:31 am

Tyler_Durden wrote:
adam_stuckey wrote:I think that the fact that our Prime Minister makes this much effort to get the World Cup must mean something to FIFA I can’t really see Obama making time for that (maybe because he’s got better things to do) but I think that as a country from other countries point of view we appear to be completely behind the bid so from FIFA’s point of view why wouldn’t you go with a country that’s completely behind it government and all
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/sport ... .html?_r=1

You need to take the blinkers off. Every leader of a nation vying for the World Cup is out there spruiking their own cause. Rudd is hardly leading the pack. I'm not having a go at Kev, he's doing what he can and what he should but he's hardly on his own.
Sorry I do realise that there are other leaders putting their case forward I just thought it was impressive that K.Rudd actually went to FIFA to put ours forward.

Thanks for the Obama article I was going to look for what he’d been up to. I’d say they’d be a better chance of 2022 I can’t really see USA getting it straight after Brazil although they are different confederations I think FIFA wouldn’t want to be seen catering to one area of the globe more than any other especially since Asia has such a big say these days.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#135 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:05 pm

adam_stuckey wrote:I’d say they’d be a better chance of 2022 I can’t really see USA getting it straight after Brazil although they are different confederations I think FIFA wouldn’t want to be seen catering to one area of the globe
Agreed. Likewise with us, after 2010 and 2014 both being in in the Southern Hemisphere it will go north in 2018. Realistically any country not in Europe has next to no chance of hosting 2018. I'm sure the other nations bidding will see 2022 as their real hope.