Trams along Rundle Mall

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

Trams along Rundle Mall

#1 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:40 am

Let the trams trundle through Rundle Mall

A TRAM down the centre of Rundle Mall in harmony with bicycles and pedestrians would enliven the city and reduce dependency on cars.

The idea comes from coordinator general of the Government major infrastructure projects, Rod Hook, who recently returned from a world tour of urban development and renewal projects.

The group of 33 government and industry representatives visited more than a dozen urban development projects in North America and Europe focused on high-density living for a greater understanding of transit-oriented developments.

Mr Hook said yesterday a tram connecting the east end and west end of the city was inevitable. "I think the government will look at an extension of the tram lines, a lap around the city is inevitable . . . and I think a tram down the Mall would be excellent - they can just ring their bell and people will get out of the way," he said.

"Our focus at the moment is on a coast to coast light rail but inevitably there will be a tram line linking the western part of the city and the eastern part of the city."

Mr Hook said Adelaide needed to be more open to the idea of trams, people and bicycles operating in the same space."We don't seem to really understand it here. There are all of these spaces (overseas) where trams, light rail and people just interact and they just don't have accidents," he said.

The parklands and Victoria Square could also be in line for a shake-up with many of the tour attendees praising the vibrant public spaces of overseas cities.

Minister Paul Holloway, who was on the tour, said he wanted Adelaide to reassess the parklands, saying they needed to be made more user-friendly through landscaping and possible development. "What would happen if around the fringe of our parklands we had something like they do in Paris with five or six-level buildings around the fringe and with commerce on the bottom?"

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html

deano91
High Rise Poster!

Re: #U/C: Port Adelaide Tram Line

#2 Post by deano91 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:08 am

I'm all for the idea of having something like this, but my concern is that if we do get people hit even in the dedicated tram corridors then I don't like our chances of people staying unharmed in such a busy pedestrian mall like Rundle Mall...I'd rather see it go down another street, my thought was maybe something like Wakefield Street, Pultney Street, all the way along North Terract to West Terrace, along West Terrace and then down Grote Street to complete the loop at Victoria Square

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#U/C: Port Adelaide Tram Line

#3 Post by monotonehell » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:38 am

A big yes to more trams around town, but a big no to a tram down Rundle Mall. I think this is a case of getting an interview from people 'right off the plane', brimming with ideas from elsewhere without really applying them to Adelaide's peculiarities to see how they might work. Rundle Mall would need to be twice as wide to cater for tracks, and it would isolate one side of the Mall from the other in a similar way that a road would. The vibrancy (the two new cafe`s stalls,buskers, art and the like) would be pushed aside and stifled.

We need to remove the isolating effects of transport corridors upon pedestrian activity (especially around our squares) not increase it. Anyone who's been to Melbourne can see the dividing effect that running trams down malls has.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by AtD » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:59 am

I agree with monotone - a big yes for trams but a no to trams in Rundle Mall, definitely a "right off the plane" idea as you said. Remember a few years ago it was suggested that buses have doors installed on the right hand side so they can use the new tram platforms?

For this to work they'll have to remove:
- The two new restaurants at either end
- The three or four kiosks
- The Malls Balls, Pigs, fountain and other street art
- All the benches, trees and planter boxes
- All alfresco areas
- Possibly the Gawler Place canopy.

So not in the next thousand years unless the ACC suddenly vanishes from the face of the planet and doesn't protest its investments being pissed away. Unfortunately it's not a good look for Mr Hook to be seen coming up with crazy 'shoot from the hip' ideas like this. It's interesting how an off the cuff comment can be interpreted as government policy.

I promise you it won't happen.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by AtD » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:27 am

Having thought about this a little bit longer, what I think has happened here is Mr. Hook has had some budding young journo rush at him, stick a recorder in his face and interrogate him. Mr. Hook has probably just blabbered the first thought that popped into his head without any time to truly reflect on what he was saying. Before you know it, a new government policy has been 'declared' just in time for Saturday's paper, so everyone can get angry over their breakfast.

It's not going to do much for the image of our governments being run by a bunch of unelected, overpaid and unaccountable "advisers" and "experts" who do nothing but traverse the globe at the taxpayer's expense for little purpose. I personally have slightly more faith in the system... at least outside NSW.

It's also a shame that Minister Holloways refreshing comments regarding the parklands were pushed down to a short para at the foot of the article.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by frank1 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:09 am

Bad idea IMO. I hate the mall in melbourne with trams down the middle. It is not only annoying to pedestrians, but the tram itself can only travel at walking speed to avoid accidents.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by AG » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:15 pm

Now here's an interesting thought that links in with trams running through a pedestrian only street. This street in North Point, Hong Kong is still a vibrant market place even with the trams rolling through:

It definitely is not safe though, and the tram is restricted in how fast it can move. To be fair though, the trams only come down this street once every few minutes, and not almost every minute like Melbourne's Bourke Street. The street is certainly vibrant though.

peachy
Gold-Member ;)

#8 Post by peachy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:49 pm

I would have thought continuing the tram along North Tce would be the obvious/logical plan.
1. It already runs along half of N.Tce.
2. N.Tce is much wider
3. N.Tce runs past all the cultural institutes Museum/Art Gallery and Uni, which is gd for tourists and students who are heavy users of pt, whilst still adjacent to Rundle Mall so services both.
4.Would take away a car corridor instead of a pedestrian corridor.
You would think advantages like this would come out after any investigation and probably will with time.
I really like the sound of the the other things that were said:
garys_power wrote: Mr Hook said yesterday a tram connecting the east end and west end of the city was inevitable. "I think the government will look at an extension of the tram lines, a lap around the city is inevitable..."
"...but inevitably there will be a tram line linking the western part of the city and the eastern part of the city."

Minister Paul Holloway, "What would happen if around the fringe of our parklands we had five or six-level buildings around the fringe and with commerce on the bottom?"

Mants
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by Mants » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:14 pm

definitely not.

bourke street mall is proof that it just doesnt work.
bourke street feels more like a road with wide footpaths rather than a mall. it is not pedestrian friendly at all.
the design of our mall is fantastic, leave it as it is!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Shuz » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:33 am

No, no, no, no, no, no. Just bloody no.

City Loop should be North Terrace > West Terrace > Gouger Street > Angus Street > East Terrace.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#11 Post by Aidan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:54 am

Shuz wrote:No, no, no, no, no, no. Just bloody no.

City Loop should be North Terrace > West Terrace > Gouger Street > Angus Street > East Terrace.
I'm against including East Terrace for two reasons: firstly it would be incompatible with the motor racing circuit, and secondly there's no need - it's entirely within easy walking distance of Frome Street, and going via the latter would save time.

I also disagree with going via Gouger Street, because if Angas Street is included then it makes sense to use Grote Street and go through Victoria Square to interchange with the existing line.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by ozisnowman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:05 am

Like most down rundle mall would be madness, however i believe that the idea of a city loop would be great
however i would rather the loop work on linking the other four squares. This would then help with development
south of victoria square and to the east and west. They could hit two birds with one stone in relation
to grenfell/currie street. The central lane could be dedicated Tram/Bus lane only...

Waewick

#13 Post by Waewick » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:59 pm

surely the south eastern part of the sqaure deserves something? Going down Hutt Street would be great (from a personal POV) even if it wanders down South Terrance

skyliner

#14 Post by skyliner » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:18 pm

Aidan wrote:

I'm against including East Terrace for two reasons: firstly it would be incompatible with the motor racing circuit, and secondly there's no need - it's entirely within easy walking distance of Frome Street, and going via the latter would save time.

I also disagree with going via Gouger Street, because if Angas Street is included then it makes sense to use Grote Street and go through Victoria Square to interchange with the existing line.
As others have intimated - nooo, nooo, nooo to trams in Rundle mall. Congestion a major factor linked with loss of elements that give it a unique character for the CBD. (such as the eateries etc).

City loop should be North Tce,down south along Morphett to turn into Googer, across to Angas, turn north up Pulteney to North Tce again. This way it would
A. Avoid the motor racing cercuit.
B. Be on more heavily used streets without any 'dead' sections. (except on race days).
C. This loop would encapsulate almost all high rise areas where accesability to transport can get very difficult and painful.
Difficulties -
A. The turn off from Noth Tce into Morphett St.
B. Linkage in to north/south track along KWS - needing a 'grand tram junction'.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.