How to Improve State Politics

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

How to Improve State Politics

#1 Post by Waewick » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:25 pm

Given the current shambles that the state politics is in with 1 party in by default because the other is so damned useless I was wondering how we could “improve” the situation.

The biggest problem I see is that every 4 years we get a chance in direction, now don’t get me wrong this is always a bad thing because governments aren’t always particularly good at getting things done.

This is where my idea comes in. I think we need an act that requires both sides of politics to agree to projects now and into the future that cannot be changed by a change in government.

1 thing that comes to mind it the upgrade and replacement of the original water network in Adelaide (now 100 years old in some areas from reports) this isn’t an election winner but it is an important part of the state and gets ignored. An idea like this takes 10-15 years to complete and to have it approved by both sides of politics which can’t be touched for the term of the development means no side is impacted by it but the state receives an important upgrade.

Other things I personally feel would be better off in this type of arrangement would be the health system, that way we remove the political point scoring and just get it done as well as the upgrade of the road/rail network.

What are other people’s thoughts? Or is there a better way of improving the “state of the state”.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: How to Improve State Politics

#2 Post by Wayno » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:50 pm

Voting preferences can be a big influencer on election outcomes, but it's not well understood nor utilised enough as a tactic by the general public.

A rather influential friend of mine (with time of his hands) is starting a new state political party. He knows he has no chance of getting a seat for himself, but he'll definitely get a substantial number of votes. He'll create momentum for his cause by giving preferences to another polly in return for action. He is well aware that preferences can be directed at the last possible moment - so even a few hundred votes could swing an election result (think Mr X).

By the way, his focus is "the current inexcusable crises in water, heritage and development practices, and health care, including planning for major hospitals."

The 'once chance every 4 years' statement is also a bit weak - sort of like negative propaganda on ourselves. Given the will, an individual can change the course of a govt mid-term, even if it's just in a single portfolio area. Sure, it takes effort - and lots of it. But it can be done...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Splashmo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:28 pm

Well, democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried. One day time will be up for Labor and the Liberals will be back in power. That's just how it works.

I don't think state politics is transparent enough. The amount of spin we get these days is disgraceful - you'll never get a straight answer out of a politician, and the amount of non-essential government advertising we get is dreadful. I don't think the media puts enough pressure on the government any more either.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by peas_and_corn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:26 pm

One of the biggest issues is that power had become so centralised in this federation that people are constantly looking towards the federal government and ignoring the states (and knowing nothing about what their councils are doing).

Waewick

#5 Post by Waewick » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:12 am

agreed that we look far too much to the federal government to do things we have well and truley become a nanny state.

I also agree that the state parliment has become to spin orientated. I just wish I knew what to do about it

@ wayno - if your friends needs help with his campaign you should let the some us know, I'm always happy to assist a good boat rocking of state parliment, you never know he may just snag a seat.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:46 am

capitalist wrote:@ wayno - if your friends needs help with his campaign you should let the some us know, I'm always happy to assist a good boat rocking of state parliment, you never know he may just snag a seat.
I don't have his permission yet to share details - i'll provide more info soon...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by peas_and_corn » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:11 pm

One problem is that state politics seems to have become a dumping ground for failed federal politicians- my seat (Newland) is being contested by Trish Draper :roll:

Aidan

#8 Post by Aidan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:46 pm

capitalist wrote:Given the current shambles that the state politics is in with 1 party in by default because the other is so damned useless I was wondering how we could “improve” the situation.
That's obvious: get some more independents into the Lower House.
The biggest problem I see is that every 4 years we get a chance in direction, now don’t get me wrong this is always a bad thing because governments aren’t always particularly good at getting things done.
Considering the huge problems with state politics, I'm baffled as to why you regard this small problem as the biggest problem.
This is where my idea comes in. I think we need an act that requires both sides of politics to agree to projects now and into the future that cannot be changed by a change in government.
Why? And how do you propose they can be changed?
1 thing that comes to mind it the upgrade and replacement of the original water network in Adelaide (now 100 years old in some areas from reports) this isn’t an election winner but it is an important part of the state and gets ignored. An idea like this takes 10-15 years to complete and to have it approved by both sides of politics which can’t be touched for the term of the development means no side is impacted by it but the state receives an important upgrade.
This is a technical issue, and should not require political involvement at all!

Also, there doesn't seem to be a problem. The water network is getting upgraded to enable water from the desalination plant to be used.
Other things I personally feel would be better off in this type of arrangement would be the health system, that way we remove the political point scoring and just get it done
There are still the questions of what needs to be done and how we should do it. How do you suggest those be removed from party politics but ensuring they're accountable to the public?
as well as the upgrade of the road/rail network.
Again, there are many different things that could be done to fix it. If you take the politics out of it, who would decide what should be done and when?
What are other people’s thoughts? Or is there a better way of improving the “state of the state”.
The biggest problem is that the big decisions are made without any public involvement. Getting politicians to agree to more things in advance is more likely to worsen that problem than to solve it.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Waewick

#9 Post by Waewick » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:52 pm

personally I think there is too much public consultation.

your elected to do a job, given the preference system your never going to get anything done if you leave it to the public to decide considering there could be a large proportion of the state who didn't vote for you.

Aidan

#10 Post by Aidan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:50 pm

capitalist wrote:personally I think there is too much public consultation.
Really??? Is there anything you think should have been done that has been prevented by public consultation? Worthwhile things have been prevented by lack of money, ACC opposition and unfavourable technical assessments, but I can't think of anything worthwhile that's been defeated by public opposition.
your elected to do a job, given the preference system your never going to get anything done if you leave it to the public to decide considering there could be a large proportion of the state who didn't vote for you.
If the public don't support it then it's unlikely to be worth doing. I don't mind if that doesn't let the politicians get so much done - they do too much damage already!

Do you really support moving the RAH to somewhere where it would take ambulances longer to get to, preventing the site from being used for a soccer stadium? Why do you think the public should be ignored just because the government are a bit more gullible?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Waewick

#11 Post by Waewick » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:57 am

The problem is your assuming the public are educated in the matters at hand. Just because the public don’t support it doesn’t make it wrong. The French public didn’t support the Eiffel tower (or the retention of ), the NSW public didn’t support the Opera house and there would be a list of things which didn’t have public support but went ahead are were successful.

Do I support the move of the RAH? Probably not, but it has nothing to do with soccer stadiums or subjective matters which can’t be proved. The public shouldn’t be ignored completely but given the ease of influence that things like the media have over these things you need take it with a grain of salt. Look at your own argument, don’t move the hospital because of a soccer stadium of all things. So if they said they would built you a soccer stadium somewhere else in the inner city you would all of a sudden agree to a new hospital??

And Lulz at government more gullible than the general public, given the right circumstance I reckon we could convince the city of adealide it is being invaded by aliens. People are smart, the public isn’t.

Aidan

#12 Post by Aidan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:54 pm

capitalist wrote:The problem is your assuming the public are educated in the matters at hand. Just because the public don’t support it doesn’t make it wrong. The French public didn’t support the Eiffel tower (or the retention of ), the NSW public didn’t support the Opera house and there would be a list of things which didn’t have public support but went ahead are were successful.
Can you give a single SA example?
Do I support the move of the RAH? Probably not, but it has nothing to do with soccer stadiums or subjective matters which can’t be proved. The public shouldn’t be ignored completely but given the ease of influence that things like the media have over these things you need take it with a grain of salt.
The problem is the public are being ignored completely. The government are under the mistaken impression that they understand the issue better than the public.
Look at your own argument, don’t move the hospital because of a soccer stadium of all things. So if they said they would built you a soccer stadium somewhere else in the inner city you would all of a sudden agree to a new hospital??
No, I think you misunderstand my argument. There are two reasons why I wouldn't:
Firstly, the place where the government want to build a hospital is the absolute best location in the state for a soccer stadium.
Secondly, the existing hospital location is a much better location for a hospital. This is because it's nearer the eastern suburbs, which unlike the western suburbs, don't have a hospital with an A&E department.
And Lulz at government more gullible than the general public, given the right circumstance I reckon we could convince the city of adealide it is being invaded by aliens. People are smart, the public isn’t.
You seem to be confusing the public with AdelaideNow users!

Waewick

#13 Post by Waewick » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:26 pm

:lol:

your probably right regarding the general public!

I guess the only other question I have is what is so important about a soccer stadium? the sport doesn't pull big crowds hardly worth the output surely?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by AtD » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:46 pm

Even if it is drawing large crowds, why should it get public money?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Will » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:38 pm

Aidan wrote:[
No, I think you misunderstand my argument. There are two reasons why I wouldn't:
Firstly, the place where the government want to build a hospital is the absolute best location in the state for a soccer stadium.
Secondly, the existing hospital location is a much better location for a hospital. This is because it's nearer the eastern suburbs, which unlike the western suburbs, don't have a hospital with an A&E department.

!
Is there actually someone from the eastern suburbs who uses a public hospital? :wink: