My Adelaide Road & Rail Plan

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: My Ideas for Adelaide Transport System

#76 Post by rhino » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:04 pm

The main problem with that route - and it's similar to the route that currently exists - is that it's a ring-route around North Adelaide as well. For a ring-route to be effective - that is, for traffic to actually choose to use it rather than go straight through Adelaide - the northern bypass needs to be between Adelaide and North Adelaide.
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

#77 Post by rhino » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:08 pm

I think all of us on this forum need to accept the fact that Aiden has the answer for everything, and there's no use putting forward any of our ideas because they're all flawed. The sooner we all realise this, the sooner he'll go away, or at least stop being so damn obnoxious. :roll:
cheers,
Rhino

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#78 Post by Hooligan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:16 pm

rhino wrote:I think all of us on this forum need to accept the fact that Aiden has the answer for everything, and there's no use putting forward any of our ideas because they're all flawed. The sooner we all realise this, the sooner he'll go away, or at least stop being so damn obnoxious. :roll:
hehehe, me like this

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#79 Post by fkj » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:58 pm

Aidan wrote:
fkj wrote:i am aware, and have made a much more thought out design, as that previous design was useless
here is the pic where i actually switched my brain on,, and wasnt over tired and hungover :lol:
blue roads are the only roads i would want to pass through the parklands, too open up the parks and make them more useable
Your plan would further isolate the parklands from the suburbs, making them far less usable! Upgrading these roads to a nonstop corridor was proposed decades ago, and rejected for good reasons. But this is the worst version of it I've seen - all the traffic entering would be diverted through some already busy intersections! And why would you want the Bakewell Underpass to be abandoned?

If you were looking to kill off investment in our CBD, this would be the way to do it!
yea, its a horrible plan, i didnt think about the roads themselves, i thought more like, if we made a ring road around here how far apart would roads on and off it be, and i chose the roads closest too that, if i was to do it properly, the bakewell underpass would not be lost. All intersections would of course have too be upgraded, roads widened etc, so it would cost way tooo much, so its not exactly economicall.
where are previous plans for this?

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#80 Post by fkj » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:01 pm

rhino wrote:The main problem with that route - and it's similar to the route that currently exists - is that it's a ring-route around North Adelaide as well. For a ring-route to be effective - that is, for traffic to actually choose to use it rather than go straight through Adelaide - the northern bypass needs to be between Adelaide and North Adelaide.
The only problem with this is the river torrens.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#81 Post by Hooligan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:24 pm

fkj wrote:
rhino wrote:The main problem with that route - and it's similar to the route that currently exists - is that it's a ring-route around North Adelaide as well. For a ring-route to be effective - that is, for traffic to actually choose to use it rather than go straight through Adelaide - the northern bypass needs to be between Adelaide and North Adelaide.
Yeah, lets move the river somewhere else

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Omicron

#82 Post by Omicron » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:28 pm

Hooligan wrote:
fkj wrote:
Yeah, lets move the river somewhere else
No no no - fill it with concrete and have races like Grease!

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#83 Post by fkj » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:48 pm

:applause: :bow:

Aidan

#84 Post by Aidan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:13 am

fkj wrote:where are previous plans for this?
Transport Systems Centre library in the UniSA City East campus.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#85 Post by AtD » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:04 am

rhino wrote:I think all of us
My
rhino wrote:on this forum need to accept
biggest
rhino wrote:the fact that Aiden
gripe
rhino wrote:has the answer for everything,
is
rhino wrote:and there's no use putting
trying
rhino wrote:forward any of our ideas
to
rhino wrote:because they're all flawed.
understand
rhino wrote:The sooner we all realise this,
split
rhino wrote:or at least stop
rhino wrote:being so damn obnoxious. :roll:
this. :mrgreen:

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#86 Post by fkj » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:12 pm

AtD wrote:
My
Ones like this
AtD wrote:
biggest
gripe
is
trying
are even worse
AtD wrote:
to
understand
split
and get annoying the longer they get :oops:

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#87 Post by mattblack » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:07 am

fkj wrote:
AtD wrote:
My
Ones like this
AtD wrote:
biggest
gripe
is
trying
are even worse
AtD wrote:
to
understand
split
and get annoying the longer they get :oops:

Ask Adian for advise !!

Straze
High Rise Poster!

#88 Post by Straze » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:11 pm

The Willunga Railway Line was closed down and dismantled in 1969, the corridor as now been constructed as a bike path. In the last 10-20 years the area around the former railway has seen substanial growth. Since the line closed buses are now the only means of public transport in Old Reynella, Morphett Vale, Hackham and Seaford, there are increasing number of buses just to keep up with the capacity needed during weekday peak periods. The State Government predicts South Road usage to rise by 6% every year untill 2020, the Southern Expressway is fine now but with more people moving into the area it will soon reach full capacity, so thats why i believe there needs to be decent improvements to public transport in the area. The Noarlunga Centre Line unfortunely is a bit off centre to serve people in Old Reynella, Woodcroft, Morphett Vale and Hackham, you cant just keep sending buses to these areas because at the end of the day this will mean traffic jams in the CBD due to buses waiting to get to the bus stop. Thats why i think it is important to extend the Tonsley Line to Hackham to help move the commuters more quickly and efficiently. After Tonsley the line would head south running either alongside the Southern Expressway or use the existing corridor to Old Reynella then along the former Willunga Railway Corridor to Hackham, to make this possible some properties will have to be compulsary bought out and demolished to make way for the railway. From the start of the existing branch at Ascot Park to Hackham will be double track, stations will be: Darlington, Old Reynella, Woodcroft, Morphett Vale and Hackham, Tonsley will be moved further south and renamed Bedford Park. If you have any questions or comments your post will be appreciated.
Do yourself a favour and come to South Australia.

Straze
High Rise Poster!

#89 Post by Straze » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:35 pm

New Urban Light Rail Lines. The Grange to Magill Line will start at Grange near the beach at an island platform heading east down the middle of Grange Road then along Manton Street, Adam Street, Port Road, North Terrace, Botanic Road, North Terrace (Kent Town), Magill Road then St Benards Road to an island platform terminus at University SA Magill Campus. The tram stops will be at: Grange, Seaton, Kidman Park, Findon, Beverley, Hindmarsh Stadium, Royal Adelaide Hospital, City West, Adelaide Railway Station, Myer Centre (Rundle Mall), Adelaide Central Plaza (Rundle Mall), Botanic Gardens, Kent Town, Maylands, Trinity Gardens, St Morris, Tranmere and Uni SA Magill Campus. The trams will run every 15 minutes during the day on weekdays, weekends and public holidays and every 30 minutes at night, most trams will run all the way through between Grange and Magill or vice versa. This project will aim to encourage public transport usage along the corridor by providing commuters with fast, frequent, reliable, attractive and efficient service. Most bus services will be adjusted i.e will feed to the tram at Grange and Magill, buses will still be used along the Grange Road and Magill Road corridor to fill in the gaps between stops and allow for extra capacity when needed.
Do yourself a favour and come to South Australia.

Aidan

#90 Post by Aidan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:53 pm

Straze wrote:The Willunga Railway Line was closed down and dismantled in 1969, the corridor as now been constructed as a bike path. In the last 10-20 years the area around the former railway has seen substanial growth. Since the line closed buses are now the only means of public transport in Old Reynella, Morphett Vale, Hackham and Seaford, there are increasing number of buses just to keep up with the capacity needed during weekday peak periods. The State Government predicts South Road usage to rise by 6% every year untill 2020, the Southern Expressway is fine now but with more people moving into the area it will soon reach full capacity, so thats why i believe there needs to be decent improvements to public transport in the area. The Noarlunga Centre Line unfortunely is a bit off centre to serve people in Old Reynella, Woodcroft, Morphett Vale and Hackham, you cant just keep sending buses to these areas because at the end of the day this will mean traffic jams in the CBD due to buses waiting to get to the bus stop. Thats why i think it is important to extend the Tonsley Line to Hackham to help move the commuters more quickly and efficiently. After Tonsley the line would head south running either alongside the Southern Expressway or use the existing corridor to Old Reynella then along the former Willunga Railway Corridor to Hackham, to make this possible some properties will have to be compulsary bought out and demolished to make way for the railway. From the start of the existing branch at Ascot Park to Hackham will be double track, stations will be: Darlington, Old Reynella, Woodcroft, Morphett Vale and Hackham, Tonsley will be moved further south and renamed Bedford Park.
I agree, though I think a few more stations would be advantageous. And I don't think it would require the demolition of any properties.

The issue of how best to get from Tonsley to Old Reynella seems to be more controversial. Many people, including those at DTEI, think the Southern Expressway route is far too steep for a railway. I disagree - such gradients are physically possible - but they are disadvantageous, so I think it would be better to go through the biggest hill rather than over it, particularly if there's a station at Darlington. I think the best way to do it would be to have elevated track from Bedford Park to Darlington (going over Seacombe Road instead of under it like the Expressway does) and tunnelling from upper Darlington to Trott Park.

Fabricator has proposed a different route with a station actually at Flinders Medical Centre, then staying east of Flagstaff Road until Black Road - follow the link from his .sig for more details. Despite the obvious advantages I dislike his route because I think it's too indirect (and would therefore take too long) and because of the environmental impact at Glenthorne.

I've also seen a model railway based on a route that more closely follows South Road.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.