Making the best use of the showgrounds

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Making the best use of the showgrounds

#1 Post by Aidan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:33 am

The further expansion of Adelaide Convention Centre in the state Liberal Party's vision got me thinking: the Wayville Showgrounds have a huge amount of underutilized exhibition space, so could become a great venue for conferences. To make the most of it would require some theatres to be constructed for conference presentations, but these could all be put to good use at other times, with film screenings and even live performances.

The NE quadrant of the showgrounds now includes some very large exhibition spaces, and its location on Goodwood Road is well served by buses as well as being only about 5 minutes from the City by taxi. And although it's not as attractive a venue as the CBD itself, its lower cost base (as it would take advantage of existing infrastructure) would enable it to compensate with lower prices. And of course it would stimulate development in our inner suburbs.

And if it's a success there's plenty of scope for doing similar things in the SE quadrant (which has the additional advantage of being near Goodwood Road tram station), the NW quadrant (near Keswick station) and even the SW quadrant (near Goodwood station). Animal sheds could be replaced by new ones with the required facilities on the upper storeys.

OTOH maybe there are some even better things to do with the showgrounds that I haven't thought of. What does everyone else think?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Making the best use of the showgrounds

#2 Post by monotonehell » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:24 am

They already do that.

Are you under the impression that the grounds only get used during the Royal Show?
http://www.aeec.com.au/showground/aeec.jsp
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Aidan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:31 am

monotonehell wrote:They already do that.
Good. But the question remains: how could they do that more? Or is the disadvantage of their location insurmountable?

I thought what they don't have is anything like the original part of the Convention Centre. But following the link you supplied I see the Ridley Centre is more like that than I thought. I admit I had forgotten about its retractable tiered seating.
Are you under the impression that the grounds only get used during the Royal Show?
http://www.aeec.com.au/showground/aeec.jsp
Of course not. I've been to the showgrounds a lot at other times - and most of the time, most of the buildings are empty.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Wayno » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:22 pm

sanfl games will be played at the showgrounds oval from 2010 or 2011. Most likely Sturt games.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.