Demolition of Glen Osmond Rd eyesore

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Demolition of Glen Osmond Rd eyesore

#31 Post by Aidan » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:45 am

monotonehell wrote:
crawf wrote:Maybe introducing two reversible lanes could be the answer to fix the peak hour mess?
I think there's too much contraflow traffic for them to be a sensible solution.
Though the best solution would be to build a 5km tunnel from the Portrush/Cross Road intersection to Greenhill Road, however it would not be cheap.
The "best" solution to what problem?
To the time taken to get between City and the places served by the South Eastern Freeway.
To the ever increasing congestion levels on our inner suburban roads, particularly Glen Osmond Road.
To accommodate the increasing demand for travelling between the City and places accessible via the Freeway.
There's 43100 traffic movements on the Freeway, 30800 on Cross Road, 35600 on Portrush Road, and only 25300 on Glen Osmond Road. So you'd prescribe a tunnel to cater to less than 25000 movements (considering that local movements account for possibly 1000 of that)?
I would. The number is growing, and it's likely a greater proportion would take Glen Osmond Road were it not already so congested. A tunnel would eventually be self funding (with tolls) and diversion of the traffic into tunnel would enable bus lanes to be created on Glen Osmond Road. So it should be a case of when to build a tunnel, not if.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by Wayno » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:21 pm

drove past earlier today. Unless i'm mistaken it seems much of this area is being setup as car parking. The nearmap image is ~4weeks old - more kerbing has been installed since.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by Vee » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:10 am

Has anyone got an update on the plans for the redevelopment of the Frewville Shopping Centre?

Car parks have been added to the site in place of the demolished buildings along Glen Osmond Rd. and there has been some ongoing refurbishment of the existing Foodland supermarket. (refer Wayno's image from Nearmaps)

I was under the impression that the shopping centre could be expanding into the adjacent Glenside site with more shops including a cafe and the promise of a more pleasant shopping experience for those who prefer to add some relaxation to the shopping trip. There was also some talk of improving the traffic flow at the intersection (potential land swap from the shopping centre for an adjacent strip in Glenside?) but this has not happened.

Woolworths has taken over and redeveloped the previous Coles supermarket in the Arkaba precinct opposite.
I prefer to shop at and support an independent grocer (Foodland) so I'm interested in the future plans for the Frewville site.

The Frewville site is in serious need of some landscaping to soften the barren landscape around the supermarket. Hope this happens soon.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#34 Post by Wayno » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:18 am

hi Veemur, go here and download Part 3 of the master plan. Pages 86-87 provide some detail for "precinct 4" adjacent to the existing shopping centre.

http://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/c ... aster+plan
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.