It's Zebra crossing time!

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: It's Zebra crossing time!

#16 Post by SRW » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:04 pm

ricecrackers wrote: as i've said, i am unconvinced of any benefits zebra crossings would have to Adelaide. there are no other reasons.
Unconvinced that there are benefits to zebra crossings or unconvinced that they would work? The latter would seem to be cynicism masquerading as an argument. For my part, I wholeheartedly agree with capitalist's proposal -- anything that enhances pedestrian priority in the city should be embraced.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#17 Post by ricecrackers » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:23 pm

SRW wrote:
ricecrackers wrote: as i've said, i am unconvinced of any benefits zebra crossings would have to Adelaide. there are no other reasons.
Unconvinced that there are benefits to zebra crossings or unconvinced that they would work? The latter would seem to be cynicism masquerading as an argument. For my part, I wholeheartedly agree with capitalist's proposal -- anything that enhances pedestrian priority in the city should be embraced.
:roll:
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by Waewick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:32 pm

SRW wrote:
O wonder who I would have to ask....

but happy for the support :D

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Isiskii » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:23 am

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by Westside » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:55 pm

So, arguments aside, where else in Adelaide could zebra crossings be installed? I was thinking we need to replace that stupid lack of a crossing at the end of Jetty st, Glenelg. At the moment it is the only crossing (possibly in the world) with a sign "Pedestrians give way to vehicles". Surely a zebra crossing is going to be the safest solution here.

Waewick

#21 Post by Waewick » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:09 pm

I think that would be the only place that would say that.

Zebra crossings would be good down King William Road - but that isn't CBD

Mants
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by Mants » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:00 pm

if it's in an area with high pedestrian volume, then traffic would never be able to get through, many drivers would become impatient and push their way through anyway. this is common at several city carparks, especially the rundle street upark, the grenfell street upark and the grote street entrance to the central markets upark.

Aidan

#23 Post by Aidan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:28 pm

Westside wrote:So, arguments aside, where else in Adelaide could zebra crossings be installed? I was thinking we need to replace that stupid lack of a crossing at the end of Jetty st, Glenelg. At the moment it is the only crossing (possibly in the world) with a sign "Pedestrians give way to vehicles". Surely a zebra crossing is going to be the safest solution here.
Firstly it's Jetty Road Glenelg - although if the crossing's the one I think you mean, it's actually on Colley Terrace.

Secondly, giving priority to pedestrians would cause vehicles to block the tram tracks more often.

Thirdly, giving priority to pedestrians would encourage them to step out onto the road when vehicles are coming - how exactly do you think that's safer than encouraging them to wait until after the vehicles have passed?

It is actually very well designed - the wide median means that although they don't have priority, pedestrians don't have to wait very long because instead of having to wait for gaps in the traffic both ways at once, they only have to cross one lane at a time. And despite not impeding the flow of vehicles, it can handle large numbers of pedestrians.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Mants » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:30 am

Aidan wrote: Firstly it's Jetty Road Glenelg - although if the crossing's the one I think you mean, it's actually on Colley Terrace.
geez, i dont think anybody else on this forum would bother correcting that. i think it was pretty obvious. :roll:

The Scooter Guy

#25 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:59 pm

A Zebra crossing has thick white stripes for pedestrians to walk over & black/white posts with amber flashing balls, called Belisha Beacons.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/