Adelaide Aquarium

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Adelaide Aquarium

#1 Post by Waewick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:36 am

taken from the main boards.

I really like the idea and I think it would be an addition to the city there are a few issues that need to be raised however

1) Location - where would it best serve the state? - for me CBD
2) What kind ? - personally I would love to see it dedicated to fish species that are unique to the Waters of SA along with the more famous ones it would even be an education regarding our Tuna and sea food industry just to tie it
3) how to raise money for the project given the state government isn't likely to kick in?

as I siad CBD for me - I realise most are near the oceans etc but I just can't see people hauling themselves out to Port Adelaide to see an aquarium?

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Adelaide Aquarium

#2 Post by victorious80 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:06 am

I agree the CBD is probably the location that would best serve tourists (as well as locals) - easy to get to, close to accomodation, etc. I also like that it is close to the Adelaide Zoo - so there could be easy transfer of animals / knowledge / staff / etc. Perhaps a water taxi link between the two down the Torrens to further connect them? Could offer a combined Zoo pass that allows access to the Zoo and the Aquarium on a single day - this would guarantee the water taxi gets used.

i think tying it in with the tuna industry is a great idea. i went swimming with tuna in Pt Lincoln last week, and it was an amazing experience. Could possibly include something like that at the Adelaide Aquarium. Showcasing our dolphins is another option.

Perhaps some themed aquaria that only show species from a specific area eg Amazon River, deep sea, Great Barrier Reef, etc

Waewick

#3 Post by Waewick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:22 am

would have to be a massive aquarium to have Dolphins!!!

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by Isiskii » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:30 am

Personally I think Port Adelaide is the best place for it from an aesthetical persepective as theres sufficient room for expansion if warranted, as opposed to the constraints of land within the Adelaide Parklands/Adelaide Zoo - good luck telling those precious NIMBY's you want to build onto brown patches of dirt too!

Thing is, if an aquarium were to be built at the Port - is it a case of putting the structure (at a financial risk) there to provide the economic catalyst for the surrounding area, or waiting for the infrastructure and economy of the area to pick up first to secure its viability? Catch-22.

Waewick

#5 Post by Waewick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 am

it is a catch-22

personally if you are going to put something like an aquarium in a place like Port Adelaide you are going to need put something else to ensure enough pull to get people down there.

could a couple of the small museums around the place be consoidated into 1 area and put down the Port (isn't there a rail museum somewhere?)

I saw an idea for an Adelaide Museum of Modern Art - but that is something that would HAVE to be in the CBD.

I wonder if the aquariums in other cities are financially viable?

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#6 Post by ricecrackers » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:58 pm

what about in the Zoo?
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Waewick

#7 Post by Waewick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:27 pm

well that is basically where I would have put it as well.

perhaps on the site of the old RAH once it is gone given there will already be a great big hole in the ground from the demolition.

that being said, I understand why people would want it near an existing body of water.

Aidan

#8 Post by Aidan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Glenelg would be a better location than the City, because salt water is more readily available and it's just as much of a tourist hotspot.

Did anyone here go to Marineland (West Beach) before it went bust?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Waewick

#9 Post by Waewick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:21 pm

never heard of it!

any proposal that has it near either tourist areas or a easily accessible has my vote.

I wonder which tourism body would have any interest in it at all and who would be willing to give it support.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Wayno » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:02 pm

In the zoo is probably best. Probably goes without saying, but it would have to be in a secure zone - otherwise a vandalism risk.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#11 Post by ricecrackers » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:35 pm

Aidan wrote:Glenelg would be a better location than the City, because salt water is more readily available and it's just as much of a tourist hotspot.

Did anyone here go to Marineland (West Beach) before it went bust?
i did, but my recollection is vague as i was in primary school.
i only remember the dolphins and sea lions shows..i dont remember the aquarium.
it was quite a run down and dated facility when it closed. i doubt it do well here now, as people travel to the GC to see that sort of thing. it wasnt a tourist attraction then, people will not travel to Adelaide to see something like that. its more associative with the Queensland style. foreigners perhaps only associate sharks with the South Australia area and Port Lincoln cage diving is the place for that.

i think an aquarium would be a welcome addition to the Zoological gardens but mainly as something for the locals to visit, particularly for education.
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Waewick

#12 Post by Waewick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:07 pm

I wouldn't be asking for dolphin and sea lion shows

purely an education style facility with the ability to view local fish that are found in Southern Waters.

whilst people may go to the GC for those kinds of things - that shouldn't be a reason for us not to have one as people are already here would still attend (both locals and tourists)

ust another string to the bow I guess

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by SRW » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:57 pm

I favour Port Adelaide as I would like to see it become the maritime education/tourist centre for the city. I wouldn't imagine that either dolphins or sea lion shows would be appropriate as a) that's not normally the function of an aquarium, and b) both dolphins and sea lions can be readily observed at other locations by South Australians (in the Port River, and on Kangaroo Island). An aquarium would be useful for exhibiting species that we don't usually/easily get to see.
Keep Adelaide Weird

peachy
Gold-Member ;)

#14 Post by peachy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:13 pm

If in Port Adelaide they could link it with a Port River cruise. Then you could see the smaller fish in the tanks at the aquarium and then see dolphins in the wild on a boat cruise. That would be quite an attractive package for tourists and locals alike.

Port Adelaide is also set to get the City of Adelaide Clipper ship which fingers crossed will be the catalyst for Port Adelaide to host a top notch historic maritime precinct. This combined with an aquarium plus the numerous museums in Port Adelaide (rail, maritime, toy) and a full day out at the Port starts to become quite an attractive prospect.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by SRW » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:01 am

peachy wrote:If in Port Adelaide they could link it with a Port River cruise. Then you could see the smaller fish in the tanks at the aquarium and then see dolphins in the wild on a boat cruise. That would be quite an attractive package for tourists and locals alike.

Port Adelaide is also set to get the City of Adelaide Clipper ship which fingers crossed will be the catalyst for Port Adelaide to host a top notch historic maritime precinct. This combined with an aquarium plus the numerous museums in Port Adelaide (rail, maritime, toy) and a full day out at the Port starts to become quite an attractive prospect.
+1
Keep Adelaide Weird