CBD Apartments in return for employment and or re-skilling

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

CBD Apartments in return for employment and or re-skilling

#1 Post by Waewick » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:16 pm

ok, so this may or may not be out there.

I want to put a proposal to you guys to see what you think and or expand it.

In order to increase the population of Adelaide I am suggesting that the State Government Build a number of apartments (or get others to do it so it isn't done poorly) I'm talking decent apartments you know the 400-500k valued ones.

The State government then offers these apartments on a rent to own basis to people with a) gainful employment or b) willing to be re trained and find employment

Personally I would be looking at people who are going to be employed in the mining sector and those who are willing to be re-trained to work in the mines, alternatively it would be people who are willing to be trained into areas of work that the state is short on (even the council). This could also be forwarded onto people who are long term unemployed due a lack of training.

a condition of the rent to own policy is that the person must live in the apartment and own it for a minimum of 10 years. The apartments can only be sold to people entering the agreement and if it doesn't exist any more the state takes 50% of the capital gains (we need an incentive for the potential tenants to look after the place)

obviously I haven't costed this proposal but I would be interested to what people think and if they think it is a viable option. THe rent to own would be over a 40 year period in the hope that people who took up residency would stay on make a family etc etc.

constructive stuff would be good even if you think it is a dumb idea :oops: as I said, it is just an idea.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: CBD Apartments in return for employment and or re-skilli

#2 Post by Will » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:31 pm

I have always advocated the government to build or commision to build genuinely affordable and decently sized apartments. I say this because the market has shown to be incapable of producing anything other than luxury apartments or student apartments.

However, I disagree with you suggestion that the apartments be for people in the mining sector. It would be better if the apartments were for people who work or study in the actual CBD. There is no point in housing people in the CBD if they treat it as a dormitory suburb.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: CBD Apartments in return for employment and or re-skilli

#3 Post by Waewick » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:39 am

yes, the mining one was probably a bit misguided. My thoughts started out with simply offering people around the country a house in exchange to sign contracts to re-skill and be employed in S.A - I would like to do it for places such as Mt Gambier, Port Lincoln and Pt Pirie to reduce the number of skilled job vacancies.

I would like to see the state encourage people who will be working in mines in SA to be living in SA however.