#VIS Grenfell Public Transport Hub

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #VIS Grenfell Public Transport Hub

#16 Post by rhino » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:14 am

Only staff in the receiving bays, and that's just something we're going to have to get used to. Turning a street into a mall involves sacrifices by some for the common good. On the flip side, Receiving Bay staff will not be required during normal working hours.
cheers,
Rhino

Mants
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by Mants » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:00 pm

i would personally love to see the buses go underground, similar to the setup in brisbane. but this is too costly and would probably never be considered.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by spiller » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:27 pm

I somewhat agree with Mants about the buses. I dont see the point in getting rid of all of the cars in order to make things more pedestrian friendly, if you are going to leave the buses there. Buses are noisy and their exhaust gases are amongst the smelliest on Adelaide's streets. I certainly wouldnt want to be walking within close proximity of one and I wouldnt call any area with them in it "pedestrian friendly". Seriously, do it properly and get rid of the buses! It would need to be trams only with vehicular access only for deliveries and emergency situations etc.

all my opinion of course.

Waewick

#19 Post by Waewick » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:40 pm

trams / buses what is the difference really.

the whoole smelly thing isn't going to be as bad if they aren't foreced to sit there in traffic anyway.

and no offence but the smell of the average smoker > Bus.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by mattblack » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:05 pm

spiller wrote:I somewhat agree with Mants about the buses. I dont see the point in getting rid of all of the cars in order to make things more pedestrian friendly, if you are going to leave the buses there. Buses are noisy and their exhaust gases are amongst the smelliest on Adelaide's streets. I certainly wouldnt want to be walking within close proximity of one and I wouldnt call any area with them in it "pedestrian friendly". Seriously, do it properly and get rid of the buses! It would need to be trams only with vehicular access only for deliveries and emergency situations etc.

all my opinion of course.

The idea put forward by Fred Hansen during his lecture was to have desal /electric buses and for them to be electic only through city streets.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by spiller » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:43 pm

Waewick wrote:trams / buses what is the difference really.
A whole lot of noise and smell basically.

Mattblack, I miss that part, electric buses would be significantly better.

warpspeed
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#22 Post by warpspeed » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:40 am

Hmm, can't say I'm entirely a fan of this.

Adjustments were made to North Terrace, which basically means that is now full of traffic lights and is difficult to drive through.

Now they want to take one of only two reasonable thoroughfares for cars in the city, and turn it into a public transport only thoroughfare.

I think that's a bit of epic fail. Yes, it'll look great; yes, it'd be nice. But I don't think it'll be practical.

If they want to do that sort of thing, do it on North Terrace, where they've already screwed plenty of the traffic up. The advantage of North Terrace is that its much much wider, so they can afford to say, dedicate one entire side to busses and pedestrians, and still leave perhaps 1 lane of traffic running each way. The advantage there is that it'll fit right in with the trams, etc. too and provide a great crossover point between busses, trains and trams.

Grenfell/Currie and Wakefield/Grote are the only reasonable East/West road thoroughfares left in the CBD. They should stay that way. If the council wants to mess around with this sort of thing, do it on Pirie/Waymouth, Franklin/Flinders or North Terrace.

Doing this to Grenfell/Currie streets will do nothing but screw over the traffic even more. It'll prevent access to a number of businesses and carparks, and it will mess up the entire traffic flow in the city.

They need to think a bit beyond, oh it'd be nice to do this and it'd be awesome for public transport and for pedestrians. Well, pedestrians have Rundle Mall, and public transport - use North Terrace.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by crawf » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:00 am

Currie/Grenfell Street needs to start being treated as a major public transport and financial strip, not a highway for motorists.

Even with the restrictions along KWS and North Terrace, the Adelaide CBD is the most easiest to get around out of all the major cities. Though if it's too much of a drama then catch public transport or use Flinders/Franklin Street which is much wider and has far less traffic.
They need to think a bit beyond, oh it'd be nice to do this and it'd be awesome for public transport and for pedestrians. Well, pedestrians have Rundle Mall, and public transport - use North Terrace.
North Terrace is already a major public transport interchange, adding further bus routes would cause nightmares. Also majority of weekday commuters are travelling to office buildings along Grenfell/Currie Street or south of the precinct.

King
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#24 Post by King » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:43 am

I've always thought that they should make Pirie/Waymouth streets the public transport throughfare. It'd hardly need any modifications; just a change in the use of the roadways. The left lanes would be the drop/off pickup lanes, and the right lane as the throughfare. All the buses which run through Grenfell/Currie Streets just get shifted one block south.

I think it'd be great, as it offers an oppurtunity to bring people closer to the 'centre' of the city - Victoria Square offering a catalyst for development in the surrounding area, encourage people to walk just that extra 100m further (if coming from the North) and help spark reinvigoration of the city's lane ways in between Grenfell and Pirie streets especially.

Grenfell and Currie streets gets left relatively untouched, providing some ease of accessibility for motorists in the interim until a tramline is place in the corridor for future east-west tram links to Norwood and Henley Beach. (10+ year timeframe) by which point you'd think there'd be a bit of a change in social attitude about the movement of people and the reliance of cars to warrant enough favorability for such a project.

Ho Really

#25 Post by Ho Really » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:36 pm

I think we've had plenty of discussions elsewhere regarding east-west traffic and in particular Grenfell-Currie. As already mentioned this is a main thoroughfare. They should just leave it as is. No cafes unless they are in alleyways. Buses and cars can still coexist, but no extension of the O-bahn. More trees, no problem. Wider footpaths at the expense of the few car parks that remain. Not sure about that as some would be loading zones. As for a Norwood to Henley Beach tram, it would be nice, but it would congest things even further. Maybe Pirie-Waymouth could be used since it is already narrow, but that would mean trams running down Bartels Road or Rundle Road into East Terrace. A bit of a diversion. Not sure how this will affect the Clipsal 500 and the Tour Down Under events down Bartels Road. As for a tram loop in the city, I would rather see it run down North Terrace into Pulteney or Frome Streets (probably Frome as it is closer to the Unis and the current RAH) and then into Angas and Gouger Streets up to Morphett Street and back into North Terrace. Is a loop of great importance? Maybe for tourists and for new apartments along the route. Do we really need it? Only if we have some spare cash to spend (which may happen in the next 10 years or so as King mentioned). My :2cents: worth anyway...

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Aidan

#26 Post by Aidan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 pm

Ho Really wrote:I think we've had plenty of discussions elsewhere regarding east-west traffic and in particular Grenfell-Currie. As already mentioned this is a main thoroughfare. They should just leave it as is. No cafes unless they are in alleyways. Buses and cars can still coexist, but no extension of the O-bahn. More trees, no problem. Wider footpaths at the expense of the few car parks that remain. Not sure about that as some would be loading zones. As for a Norwood to Henley Beach tram, it would be nice, but it would congest things even further. Maybe Pirie-Waymouth could be used since it is already narrow, but that would mean trams running down Bartels Road or Rundle Road into East Terrace. A bit of a diversion. Not sure how this will affect the Clipsal 500 and the Tour Down Under events down Bartels Road. As for a tram loop in the city, I would rather see it run down North Terrace into Pulteney or Frome Streets (probably Frome as it is closer to the Unis and the current RAH) and then into Angas and Gouger Streets up to Morphett Street and back into North Terrace. Is a loop of great importance? Maybe for tourists and for new apartments along the route. Do we really need it? Only if we have some spare cash to spend (which may happen in the next 10 years or so as King mentioned). My :2cents: worth anyway...

Cheers
DTEI regard a tram loop as very low importance, and I agree with them on this. We really need to greatly increase the service frequency of our bus loops (both the 99C and the ACC service) but it's for people coming into the City that a modal shift is needed.

As for the best tram route across the City, I see you prefer Angas and Gouger Streets. Others prefer Wakefield and Grote Streets. Am I the only one who'd prefer Angas and Grote Streets? As well as giving better interchange in Victoria Square, it would enable services to be diverted without too much disruption when something goes wrong.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

King
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#27 Post by King » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:21 am

Franklin/Flinders or Angas/Gouger streets are definitely the better options for the tram loop, or the throughfare for an east-west link. Not Grote/Wakefield. As people have mentioned before, Grote/Wakefield is one of the few easily accessible east-west routes through the city and I don't think we should impede on that by putting a tram line through the middle of it.

Aidan

#28 Post by Aidan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:10 pm

King wrote:Franklin/Flinders or Angas/Gouger streets are definitely the better options for the tram loop, or the throughfare for an east-west link. Not Grote/Wakefield. As people have mentioned before, Grote/Wakefield is one of the few easily accessible east-west routes through the city and I don't think we should impede on that by putting a tram line through the middle of it.
It wouldn't be much of an impediment. Grote Street has already been narrowed to two lanes each way - it shouldn't be two difficult to make it 2 traffic lanes + 2 tram lanes.

But perhaps a more important question is why are there so few other easily accessible E-W routes?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.