Port Adelaide Harbour Water Sports Event

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Port Adelaide Harbour Water Sports Event

#1 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Just throwing this out there.

The central harbour area at Port Adelaide is a fantastic setting. I was down there recently and noticed how it feels stadium sized (500m long x 200 metres wide; ok so a BIG stadium) and has naturally elevated views all way round. There's lots of places to eat and grab a drink nearby as well.

So i was thinking - what kind of water based sports event would make people line the docks all way round to the birkenhead tavern? temporary grandstand seating could be provided in some areas. All I can think of are water skiing racing/exhibitions, dragon boat races, some sort of jet ski exhibition, blah. None of which are terribly exciting and would not draw a large crowd.

A potential issue is the dolphins frolicking in these waters (power boats with sharp slicing propellers are probably a no-no). Another issue are the boat operators who frequent the area - they would need to clear out during the event.

Not sure any of this makes sense. I'll think about it some more and come back later. In the meantime feel free to throw your ideas into the ring...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

eslampar
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Port Adelaide Harbour Water Sports Event

#2 Post by eslampar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:53 am

Red Bull air race would be good if it still exists....

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Port Adelaide Harbour Water Sports Event

#3 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:14 pm

anything that doesn't involve going in the water.....

I'd suggest rowing? but I can't see that interesting the locals a great deal.