Adelaide Bashing - Strategies to Combat

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Brazer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Adelaide Bashing - Strategies to Combat

#31 Post by Brazer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:24 am

:cheers:

Well said TAN TAN and welcome back to Adelaide. I too share your sentiments having recently moved back from Victoria...

As shiny and bright as Melbourne is, the ease and comfort of Adelaide is definitely a winner.

All I say is.... yes Melbourne you have four times the amount of people, but that also means you have about four times the amount of dumbasses as well!

I think I always win that argument...

:banana:

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#32 Post by MessiahAndrw » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:57 am

mshagg wrote:
dsriggs wrote:Because every single tourism ad about SA in the last 20 years has had:
1) A bloke in glasses sniffing a wine glass in front of a barrel
2) A paddle steamer on the Murray
3) A couple eating unnamed food in an unnamed restaurant in an unnamed location
4) People driving 4wd's in the Flinders Ranges
5) A long shot of some desert.

BO-RING!
That's South Australia, as distinct from Adelaide, and I think promoting those destinations has served the state quite well. Certainly most of my interstate colleagues hold SA in high regard, but are still quite negative about Adelaide itself. It's quite difficult to promote the city, placing yourself in direct competition with places like Vic/NSW, who tend to really focus on their capitals.
Yes - I think the problem is, they're not really showing 'Adelaide'. Sniffing wine, paddle steaming, eating at a restaurant - I mean, that all shows regional activities, no reason to actually come to Adelaide specifically.

We need to portray what we have - world-class festivals, decent shopping in the CBD, some history, nice suburbs - things people go out of they way to experience. Things you'd look for if you were considering a place for a short trip.

How about a tourism ad that shows:
1) The best acts of the Fringe Festival (World's 2nd largest!)
2) Shopping in Rundle Mall. Mix in some buskers/street performers to show it as a lively place. (Best shopping experience in AUS and the U.S. in my opinion.)
3) Families enjoying the botanical gardens.
4) The Christmas Pageant. (World's largest!)
5) A neighbourhood barbecue in Mawson Lakes. (Show some upscale homes.)
6) Show some of our historical architecture (North Terrace, the arcades)

Focus on the very best of our assets, and avoid wasting time (and diluting the image of Adelaide by making it blend in with any other capital city) by promoting:
1) Beaches. Yes, we have great beaches, but most Australians already live by a beach, and those that don't will ask "why don't we just go to the Gold/Sunshine Coast instead?"
2) The outback. Yes, 4wd through hilly terrain is fun, but drive out of any other city and you can pretty much do the same thing. Besides, we're trying to sell 'Adelaide' not regional South Australia.
3) Football or the new Adelaide Oval. Everyone loves it, but most tourists can get a similar experience in any other major capital.
4) The new hospital/SAHMRI/other works. What is this? Advertising for this ill? "If you get high blood sugar levels due to the fun you're going to have in Adelaide, we've got you covered!" Tourists don't travel to a city because of a new hospital.
5) The new express way, airport or any other major construction. Nobody really cares if Darwin ran a TV ad that said "Come to Darwin, we have a new highway/airport/hospital/etc!" It looks pitiful and desperate like "We matter too! We have shiny new things!"
6) Churches. Yes, I'm religious, but I don't travel to go to church.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#33 Post by claybro » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Its a shame we cant come up with a non cringe-worthy catchphrase for Adelaide. I nearly want to vomit when every interstate journo/ media presenter brands Adelaide "the city of churches". They all do it. Funnily enough, my old dad used to say Adelaide once was known, earlier last century as the city of PUBS and churches, being that we had more pubs and churches than other city per head of population. Strangely the fun part (pubs) got dropped and the conservative part (churches) stuck. Nothing against religion per se, but it does make us sound dowdy and conservative, and not attractive to a younger traveller.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by Maximus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:44 pm

That's my understanding, too. Supposedly for every corner with a church, there was also a pub. A balance between the saints and sinners, I suppose! But I have no idea how or why the pub part was dropped from our moniker.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#35 Post by rev » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Weren't we also known as the Rose State or something like that?

I guarantee you that if Adelaide's skyline started to change for the better, in a more rapid manner then it currently(barely) is...that perceptions of Adelaide will also start to shift to being more positive.
When people think of Adelaide, they get an image in their head of the disaster that is our skyline.

Seriously, what can you do in Melbourne that you can't do in Adelaide? There might be a few things..but by and large, whatever you can do there, you can do here.
The difference is that Melbourne has a positive image. Things are happening, changing over there.
Whereas Adelaide is perceived as a place where nothing is happening and nothing changes.

The reality is different though, as our festivals which keep getting bigger and better every year show that things are happening and changing here.

BUT, those things are as visible as a skyline.
When our skyline is no longer dominated by Westpac house, no longer dominated by brown/biege coloured buildings...but looks modern(even futuristic?), then perceptions of Adelaide will change.

You can ignore the bashing. You can bash back(physically and literally). You can point out Adelaide's good points.
But none of that will change the perception of Adelaide or the image people get when they think of Adelaide.
You might change a few peoples minds, but if we all sat there trying to change peoples minds, even by the time our great grand children were old enough to vote, we would have barely made a dent in the negative perception of Adelaide.

Hopefully the governments changes to development plans, and stripping of decisions for $10 > development from the councils hands will help speed the change of our skyline into a modern one along.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by mattblack » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:55 pm

rev wrote:Weren't we also known as the Rose State or something like that?

I guarantee you that if Adelaide's skyline started to change for the better, in a more rapid manner then it currently(barely) is...that perceptions of Adelaide will also start to shift to being more positive.
When people think of Adelaide, they get an image in their head of the disaster that is our skyline.

Seriously, what can you do in Melbourne that you can't do in Adelaide? There might be a few things..but by and large, whatever you can do there, you can do here.
The difference is that Melbourne has a positive image. Things are happening, changing over there.
Whereas Adelaide is perceived as a place where nothing is happening and nothing changes.

The reality is different though, as our festivals which keep getting bigger and better every year show that things are happening and changing here.

BUT, those things are as visible as a skyline.
When our skyline is no longer dominated by Westpac house, no longer dominated by brown/biege coloured buildings...but looks modern(even futuristic?), then perceptions of Adelaide will change.

You can ignore the bashing. You can bash back(physically and literally). You can point out Adelaide's good points.

More has happend in this city in the last 5 years than it did for 25 years before that. Its hard to break those shackles but you are already starting to see a quantiy and quality of development activity that would of been unthinkable even 10years ago.
But none of that will change the perception of Adelaide or the image people get when they think of Adelaide.
You might change a few peoples minds, but if we all sat there trying to change peoples minds, even by the time our great grand children were old enough to vote, we would have barely made a dent in the negative perception of Adelaide.

Hopefully the governments changes to development plans, and stripping of decisions for $10 > development from the councils hands will help speed the change of our skyline into a modern one along.

rev

#37 Post by rev » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:50 pm

More has happend in this city in the last 5 years than it did for 25 years before that. Its hard to break those shackles but you are already starting to see a quantiy and quality of development activity that would of been unthinkable even 10years ago.
I know. But a lot of it isn't visible in the skyline.
I know it sounds stupid, but why do you think Perth has the image that it is powering ahead, and even perhaps coming to par with the east coast?
Because the image of a city is it's skyline.
You look at an image of a city, you see shiny, modern looking buildings and you think that's a place I want to go to.
Looking at an image of Adelaide, you'd think that's a place I'd like to avoid, and who would blame you. The skyline looks like shit.

Image is everything.
Do you think Elle Mcpherson would have been as successful as she was, if she was over weight?
Would a Ferrari sell as a sports car, if it looked like a volvo crossed with a daewoo?

The image of Adelaide needs to change, and that starts with how Adelaide looks.
No amount of talking on our part, of defending our city, will change peoples perceptions. Only the way our city looks, will change their perceptions.

Dubai is a good example.
Take away all their skyscrapers. What do you have left? Sweet f'k all really, besides lots of desert sands.
It's skyline is part of it's attraction, part of the sell to potential visitors.
New York..what pops into your mind? its skyline..
LA? ..it's skyline..
Torronto?..skyline..

Obviously other things pop into your mind..but skylines pop into your mind, the imagery, just as much as anything else.
It's important to have an appealing, modern looking skyline. We do not.
The lack of a modern skyline helps continue the myth that nothing happens or changes in Adelaide. Because for how many decades it's virtually remained the same, whereas every other major capital's skyline has evolved.

[Shuz]

#38 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:03 pm

When I think LA, I think urban sprawl and freeways. Not its skyline.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev

#39 Post by rev » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:44 pm

[Shuz] wrote:When I think LA, I think urban sprawl and freeways. Not its skyline.
Yeh, righto champ.

Because this,

Or the Hollywood sign on the hill doesn't pop into your mind..or Venice Beach..

Nathan

#40 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:17 pm

rev wrote:Yeh, righto champ.

Because this,
IMG
Or the Hollywood sign on the hill doesn't pop into your mind..or Venice Beach..
The Hollywood sign, yes, but I'd bet few would have any idea that that skyline was LA.

[Shuz]

#41 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:12 am

Of course I know what the LA skyline looks like, Rev, because I'm familiar with it. However as Nathan pointed out, id seriously doubt if you showed that to most people of the general public they would not be able to identify that it was LA.

Calm your farm.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#42 Post by Mants » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:39 pm

Perhaps LA wasn't the best example...LA's key industry is entertainment, so it is only fitting that it's most recognisable assets are directly related to that industry...but there are countless other city skylines which most people recognise instantly...i'm thinking NYC, HK, Shanghai, Sydney, London, KL, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago...arguably some of worlds' most influential and important cities.

I predict that with the current investment in medical research here, this is the thing that will put us on the international stage in years to come. A modern skyline gives the impression of confidence, wealth and progression. All vital elements for attracting continual interest and investment in this expanding sector.

One good example of this is Frankfurt, Germany. As one of Europe's most important financial centres and commercial hubs, it continues to attract worldwide conventions, international businesses and corporate interest. Having a modern skyline definitely assists its positive image as a good place to do business.

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#43 Post by victorious80 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:29 pm

rev and mants, i agree 100% with you. for most people, unfortunately, a city's skyline is the strongest indicator of the vibrancy and success of a city. We have many interstate colleagues who come to Adelaide to work on various projects and inevitably the first thing they comment on is the lack of tall buildings. The question "what's with only one tall building?" has been asked of me many times. Unfortunately, this first impression immediately gives them the idea that Adelaide is small, slow and boring. It is amazing how strongly they hold onto this opinion too - even though they may stay in Adelaide for 3-6 months and enjoy everything the city has to offer, they always fall back on that initial impression. Note these are educated engineers too, people who have traveled the world and visited many cities, not narrow minded individuals who are unable to form educated opinions.

Before someone tees off and gives me a rocket, I certainly do not agree that a city's skyline is the only indicator of its wealth, success or mindset. However, for people who do not know anything more about Adelaide than the fact that it is in South Australia, the skyline suggests that not much has changed here for decades, and that not much is likely to change any time soon.

I think even 1 or 2 tall(ish), well designed buildings would make such a difference to people's opinions of our wonderful city (both interstaters and Adelaide residents themselves).

It seems that most of the historical barriers have been removed (proximity to airport, height limits, etc) so now we just have to cross our fingers and wait in and hope...

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#44 Post by Shahkar » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Thinking that "a city's skyline is the strongest indicator of the vibrancy and success of a city" is only in developing/new developed countries. As someone said before, Perth was going no where until a few tall buildings got built. We are ages ahead in vibrancy compared to Perth and in some matters, Brisbane as well.

Plus rev, the majority do not think of skylines tbf. Even for Sydney, I doubt many think of their skyline. Its pretty much Harbour bridge and the Opera House.

I shall list what I think of the cities(why? Its vision & suggestions :wink:)

New York - Skyline
LA - Hollywood sign and Beverly Hills
Torronto - Cold weather :lol:
HK - Skyline
Shanghai - Skyline
Sydney - Opera House
London - London eye and tube
KL - Skyline
San Francisco - Golden gate
Seattle - Space needle
Chicago

claybro

#45 Post by claybro » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:27 pm

Shahkar wrote:Even for Sydney, I doubt many think of their skyline. Its pretty much Harbour bridge and the Opera House.
Have to disagree with this. Every image I see published of the Opera House and the bridge generally shows that magnificent skyline in the background. Usually against a stunning blue sky. The opera house or the bridge on their own do not complete the picture.