A Congestion Tax...Would It Work in Adelaide?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

A Congestion Tax...Would It Work in Adelaide?

#1 Post by PeFe » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Should the SA state government implement a congestion tax on the Adealide CBD and use the resultant monies on infrastructure projects?
For example driving through the CBD (maybe the boundary should be the 4 terraces) at peak hour would incur a $2 toll.As well the tax on all day carparking would be drastically increased with all the money going to fund public transport infrastructure. The Adelaide CBD sems to have an extraordinary amount of it's prime real estate dedicated to carparks (maybe somebody can illuminate me on the actual amount and percentage compared to other Australin cities). These carparks fill the streets to the brim with cars at peak hour but otherwise the streets return to an emptiness and quietness that the Amish would surely enjoy.
Your thoughts.....

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: A Congestion Tax...Would It Work in Adelaide?

#2 Post by Will » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:05 am

If you want to make the CBD a ghost town, then pursue this option. The advent of paid parking has already driven thousands of shoppers to the big suburban malls. Placing another inconvenience into coming into the CBD, will only destroy retail and hospitality in the city.

Furthermore, not only is Adelaide not big enough for a congestion tax, but we are also supposedly a land of freedom. I am sick of the rise of the nanny state. I should not be forced to use public trnasport if I do not want to.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Norman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:34 am

Yeah, Adelaide is way too small for something like this. Our CBD roads are empty enough as it is

Nathan

#4 Post by Nathan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:23 am

Will wrote:Furthermore, not only is Adelaide not big enough for a congestion tax, but we are also supposedly a land of freedom. I am sick of the rise of the nanny state. I should not be forced to use public trnasport if I do not want to.
A congestion tax does not equal nanny state, and disincentive to drive does not equal forced to use public transport.

I agree that a congestion tax won't work for Adelaide unless we see a radically different CBD in the future, but let's drop the freedom fighting hyperbole.

[Shuz]

#5 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:25 am

No.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

claybro

#6 Post by claybro » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:46 pm

We do not have adequate enough public transport to even consider it.