Vision: Your ideas for a new Tram Network

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Heardy_101
High Rise Poster!

Vision: Your ideas for a new Tram Network

#1 Post by Heardy_101 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:00 pm

BRIEF HISTORY

As some of you may know, Adelaide once had an extensive Tram Network, which originated from the Horse Trams in the late 1800s, to the Electric Trams in the early 1900s, and the networks eventual demise in the 1950s.

At its peak in 1950s, lines radiated out from the Adelaide CBD to Paradise, Enfield and Prospect etc to the North; Norwood, Magill and Kensington etc to the East; Henley Beach, Findon and Richmond to the West; and Colonel Light Gardens, Glen Osmond, Unley, Mitcham, Springfield etc to the South. The Glenelg Line opened in 1929 after previously operating as a Railway.

Trolley Buses (Electric Buses with Trolley Poles) also operated during the same period from the 1930s to the 1960s, most of them replacing the trams.

Diesel Buses have replaced the Trams and Trolley Buses ever since bar the Glenelg Tram which runs from Mosley Square (Glenelg) - Victoria Square which was recently extended all the way up King William Street, North Terrace and Port Road to Hindmarsh.

My personal Ideas, Visions, Proposals etc

I've decided to come up with some ideas and visions of my own regarding an expanded and rebuilt network, and while I'm at it, I want to see some of your ideas and proposals. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone had similar if not the same sort of visions. As I have no current knowledge of costings, they aren't included but if any of you have some idea feel free to add some "mock costings".

Most of my routes will be through routed.

Also a quick question - can the current Wheelchair Ramps be lowered all the way to Ground level (if that makes sense) in case a Tram needs to stop and their isn't a stop platform? The reason why I ask is because I was thinking of a Melborune-like system where only the really busy stops/stations and some termini have platforms while a vast majority of them the tram stops in the middle of the road without the need for a platform. Is such a system able to be introduced in Adelaide?

BLAIR ATHOL - HYDE PARK

Starting from the end of King William Road at Northgate St in Hyde Park (UBD, Map 130, G10), follow KW Road until Young St (UBD, Map 130, F3). Where KW Curves away to follow the Glenelg Alignment, the new line will connect with the Glenelg Line there. From there, continue as normal until North Terrace. From North Terrace, Continue along King William Road to North Adelaide. From there O'Connell Street, then Prospect Road, then Prospect Road all the way up to Marmion Avenue (UBD, Map 94, B11). Marmion Avenue was originally supposed to be a Terminus for a previously proposed extension to the original Prospect Tram in the 1950s.

This proposal could be done in the following stages:

1) Hyde Park - Glenelg Line (see above)
2) North Terrace - North Adelaide
3) North Adelaide - Prospect, See UBD, Map 106, D10)
4) Prospect - Enfield Coles UBD, Map 94, C14
5) Enfield - Marmion Avenue.

Alternatively, combine 4) and 5).
www.facebook.com/SARegionalRailAlliance

www.saregionaltrainscampaign.com

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

Re: Vision: Your ideas for a new Tram Network

#2 Post by neoballmon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:36 pm

Heardy_101 wrote:BLAIR ATHOL - HYDE PARK

Starting from the end of King William Road at Northgate St in Hyde Park (UBD, Map 130, G10), follow KW Road until Young St (UBD, Map 130, F3). Where KW Curves away to follow the Glenelg Alignment, the new line will connect with the Glenelg Line there. From there, continue as normal until North Terrace. From North Terrace, Continue along King William Road to North Adelaide. From there O'Connell Street, then Prospect Road, then Prospect Road all the way up to Marmion Avenue (UBD, Map 94, B11). Marmion Avenue was originally supposed to be a Terminus for a previously proposed extension to the original Prospect Tram in the 1950s.
I'm not overly familiar with this area, but I think if the number of people that use the area was increased a little by the implementation of this tram line, it could work quite well. It's a nice little road that could handle a tram quite well.

My suggestion would be a tram line going through Norwood. It could spur off of the KWSt line, and (if they did it right now, in conjunction with other upgrades) could go through Rundle Mall (it works in the Burke Street Mall in Melborune), but just limit it to one station near the center. It could then continue down Rundle Street/Road, and turn onto The Parade down to Portrush Road.
If not using Rundle Mall, it could just go along North Tce, East Tce, then along Rundle Street/Road and The Parade.
The reason why I ask is because I was thinking of a Melborune-like system where only the really busy stops/stations and some termini have platforms while a vast majority of them the tram stops in the middle of the road without the need for a platform. Is such a system able to be introduced in Adelaide?
If this is implemented, driver training is most definately necessary! My first time in Melborune, I wasn't aware of this system, and didn't know that when a tram was stopped in the right lane, that the left lane has to stop and give way to pedestrians. I would have wiped out a few people, but when the doors opened and that "Stop" sign popped out, I quickly slammed the brakes..
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Heardy_101
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Heardy_101 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:04 am

neoballmon wrote:I'm not overly familiar with this area, but I think if the number of people that use the area was increased a little by the implementation of this tram line, it could work quite well. It's a nice little road that could handle a tram quite well.
Considering that it used to, I don't see why not either myself. It doesn't even have to be double track the whole way either.
Heardy_101 wrote:The reason why I ask is because I was thinking of a Melborune-like system where only the really busy stops/stations and some termini have platforms while a vast majority of them the tram stops in the middle of the road without the need for a platform. Is such a system able to be introduced in Adelaide?
neoballmon wrote:If this is implemented, driver training is most definately necessary! My first time in Melborune, I wasn't aware of this system, and didn't know that when a tram was stopped in the right lane, that the left lane has to stop and give way to pedestrians. I would have wiped out a few people, but when the doors opened and that "Stop" sign popped out, I quickly slammed the brakes.
Naturally driver training would be a must.

It would be far too expensive to have a dedicated platform at each stop and too inconvenient for motorists. Personally I think the stop halfway down Jetty Road in Glenelg doesn't need a platform. By having a Melbourne like system millions could be saved.

Motorists would also need to be educated as well, through the various social and media outlets.

Heardy_101
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by Heardy_101 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:38 am

HENLEY BEACH - ADELAIDE

Starting at the South Terrace Terminus, continue as normal then at the West Terrace/North Terrace stop, turn down West Terrace then Glover Avenue, Henley Beach Road, then at the end of HB Road turn right onto Seaview Road, terminating at Henley Square.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:53 am

I'll just park this here...
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Maximus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:24 pm

Wow! Just wow. :shock:

That really is quite eye-opening.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by Norman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:54 pm

How many tram vision threads do we actually need? Merge this one into one of the bigger ones I say.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Norman wrote:How many tram vision threads do we actually need? Merge this one into one of the bigger ones I say.
I agree! I wanted to do this and give these threads a clean up but I don't have moderator access to the 'Topical Discussion' threads - only the Development Discussion ones.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:50 pm

Norman wrote:How many tram vision threads do we actually need? Merge this one into one of the bigger ones I say.
I was going to give it a chance to diverge before merging it into the tram visions thread.

Heardy_101
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by Heardy_101 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:00 pm

I couldn't find another thread to post in without bumping it too far (I know forums don't like that) so I just made a new one.

train driver
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by train driver » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:51 pm

monotonehell wrote:I'll just park this here...

Looks a bit like the Adelaide Tramway System Map dated 24/5/1952 I have showing the all the system, including partly built and abandon lines.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:59 pm

train driver wrote:Looks a bit like the Adelaide Tramway System Map dated 24/5/1952 I have showing the all the system, including partly built and abandon lines.
It's a photo I rescued from a now defunct website, for posterity. It was taken by <I forget who sorry, please step forward>. It's a model-map of the tram system, as it stood, at its peak. I've been told that this model used to be at the tramways museum, I've not verified if it's still on display there.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by SRW » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:52 pm

monotonehell wrote:
train driver wrote:Looks a bit like the Adelaide Tramway System Map dated 24/5/1952 I have showing the all the system, including partly built and abandon lines.
It's a photo I rescued from a now defunct website, for posterity. It was taken by <I forget who sorry, please step forward>. It's a model-map of the tram system, as it stood, at its peak. I've been told that this model used to be at the tramways museum, I've not verified if it's still on display there.
(Fixed -- sorry monotonehell, couldn't resist!)

That map is truly awe-inspiring, though. Good save.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Heardy_101
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by Heardy_101 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 pm

It is still there I believe. It was the last time I was there a few months ago.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#15 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:45 am

I just will never understand the sheer stupidity of the decision to rip up the network. Why?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.