Southern Expressway Stage 3

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Southern Expressway Stage 3

#1 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:09 pm

The Southern Expressway should be extended to connect with Victor Harbor Road.

Route (Zoomed In)

Route (Zoom Out)

Interchange with Main South Road

Interchange with Victor Harbor Road
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

marquisite
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Southern Expressway Stage 3

#2 Post by marquisite » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:58 pm

Agree, the expressway should extend to Victor Harbor Rd (I did put up something on here a while ago).

One comment I do have however is the interchange with Main South Rd looks a little over engineered. Example: Do people heading north-bound on Main South Rd really need a right turn ramp onto the expressway Victor Harbor-bound - wouldn't these people be more likely to use the existing Victor Harbor road access / future on ramps?

In any case, it only makes sense to extend the expressway that little bit further. Someday, anyway!
Attachments
SE-Exy-Ext3-9025151036_811741ae39_edit.jpg
SE-Exy-Ext3-9025151036_811741ae39_edit.jpg (194.03 KiB) Viewed 6326 times

Aidan

#3 Post by Aidan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:49 am

Because of the limited movements in some directions and the available space, I'd recommend a cloverleaf junction… except that terrain might make some other solution preferable. You haven't explained the reasons for your choice of route and how much you've taken the terrain into account - I'd be interested to know.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by ml69 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:06 am

+1.

A logical extension to me, but it should be done after the rest of South Rd has been made non-stop. Ie 10+ years into the future.

It really wiuld be a boon to the McLaren Vale and Willunga areas in particular and drive further housing demand for there.

But it wouldn't surprise me (for political reasons) that it could be done sooner to pick up some southern votes, whilst the more difficult parts of South Rd are left languishing in their current form for many many years.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by 85trainfan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:01 pm

ml69 wrote:+1.

A logical extension to me, but it should be done after the rest of South Rd has been made non-stop. Ie 10+ years into the future.
Anther +1. This could be included in the longer term plan to duplicate the Victor Rd ( or at least part of).
Aidan wrote:Because of the limited movements in some directions and the available space, I'd recommend a cloverleaf junction… except that terrain might make some other solution preferable. You haven't explained the reasons for your choice of route and how much you've taken the terrain into account - I'd be interested to know.

Coming over the Hill from the South, if the Victor Harbour Rd heading North could be kept at a decent Height above South rd to Naturally form an Overpass. The only other obstacles i can see are the Trucks coming from the Quarry of Seaview Rd, and that little Natural Valley called the Onkaparinga Gorge. Would be one hell of a bridge required to cover that.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

[Shuz]

#6 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm simply going by observations and my recollection of the area - in terms of the terrain, basically, the Southern Expressway would go over Main South Road. The slope upwards could be quite gentle notwithstanding the big hill in the way, but it seems like nothing a simple cutting couldn't solve. There doesn't appear much to take out, certianly not near the extent seen on the South Eastern Freeway.

Having a look on the terrain outline on Google Maps, it looks like a route about 500m east would be better suitable. (see new map below) The road would bridge the Onkaparinga River, which I'd imagine would be the costliest element of the project as it could be anywhere from 500-1000m long. As for the other side of the Onkaparinga River, I'm not too sure what the terrain is like on the 'straight' to join up with Victor Harbor Road. It's hilly, but it's flat hilly - a few minor cuttings and embankments here and there ought to 'smooth' things out. Aside from the bridge over the Onkaparinga, the only other major difficulty I can see is the fact that north of the McLaren Vale Overpass, the slope of the Victor Harbor Road is actually quite steep. But if a new road slanted just off to the east, it should be alright.

Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by neoballmon » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:31 pm

I think it would be much more useful not to extend the expressway, but to just further improve the current route.

All that would be needed would be
-an overpass or underpass at the end of the expressway for Southbound traffic to exit
-a trench under the Seaford/Patapinda Road intersection, and continues under South Road for North off of Victor Harbor Road.

No land should need to be acquired for this, as the 2010 upgrade has shown plenty of space is available.

I'd imagine these upgrades would cost about a third of the cost of extending the expressway 3-6km through hilly terrain, (that is quite possibly protected land)

The money saved could be used to duplicate Victor Harbor Road down to at least Willinga, possibly Mount Compass.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by mattblack » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:35 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I'm simply going by observations and my recollection of the area - in terms of the terrain, basically, the Southern Expressway would go over Main South Road. The slope upwards could be quite gentle notwithstanding the big hill in the way, but it seems like nothing a simple cutting couldn't solve. There doesn't appear much to take out, certianly not near the extent seen on the South Eastern Freeway.

Having a look on the terrain outline on Google Maps, it looks like a route about 500m east would be better suitable. (see new map below) The road would bridge the Onkaparinga River, which I'd imagine would be the costliest element of the project as it could be anywhere from 500-1000m long. As for the other side of the Onkaparinga River, I'm not too sure what the terrain is like on the 'straight' to join up with Victor Harbor Road. It's hilly, but it's flat hilly - a few minor cuttings and embankments here and there ought to 'smooth' things out. Aside from the bridge over the Onkaparinga, the only other major difficulty I can see is the fact that north of the McLaren Vale Overpass, the slope of the Victor Harbor Road is actually quite steep. But if a new road slanted just off to the east, it should be alright.

You do realise that you are proposing to put an expressway straight through a world renowned wine region :wallbash: . Good luck with that. I can only hope that you NEVER get a job as a planner in Onka Council. :roll:

Aidan

#9 Post by Aidan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:25 pm

mattblack wrote:
You do realise that you are proposing to put an expressway straight through a world renowned wine region :wallbash: . Good luck with that. I can only hope that you NEVER get a job as a planner in Onka Council. :roll:
What exactly is your objection here? Do you think it would adversely affect the quality of the wine. The quantity of wine produced? Are you worried about the boundaries of the region? Or access to wineries?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

claybro

#10 Post by claybro » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:21 pm

Aidan wrote:What exactly is your objection here? Do you think it would adversely affect the quality of the wine. The quantity of wine produced? Are you worried about the boundaries of the region? Or access to wineries?
Aidan, you confuse me here, and not for the first time. You seem to be questioning why someone would object to a freeway through a key wine region, and yet you yourself question a freeway through industrialised areas of the western suburbs on the grounds of it disrupting communities, local access and pollution?

[Shuz]

#11 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Mattblack - how would that be any different to a duplicated Victor Harbor Road?

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by mattblack » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:12 am

[Shuz] wrote:Mattblack - how would that be any different to a duplicated Victor Harbor Road?
Because the road corridor along Victor Harbor Rd is already wide enough to accommodate extra lanes to a large extent. Why would you want to cut a further 30+ metre swathe of asphalt through a protected region (which would be completely contrary to the current State and Council view) other than making a straight line on a map? It has nothing to do with inane arguments of the taste of the wine. Also the costs of negotiating those hills would be a major undertaking as the gradients of the hills, not to mention the Onka gully is significant.

rhino

#13 Post by rhino » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:04 am

It seems to me that a far cheaper and more viable option would be to turn the expressway southwest before reaching South Road, and run parallel to South Road on the western side, negotiating far less steep ground, cross the river where the ground is flat rather than cross the Gorge, and link up with the start of Victor harbo Road. The terrain is easier to negotiate, the route is shorter, and the costly bridge over the Gorge (and across the National Park) will not need to be built. I realise the land west of South Road is also National Park, but due to the existance of South Road, it does not have the wilderness feel of the Gorge, or the stunning topography which will be disrupted unnecessarily.
cheers,
Rhino

[Shuz]

#14 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Sorry Rhino, your explanation isn't very clear. Mind putting it down on a map?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:34 pm

rhino wrote:It seems to me that a far cheaper and more viable option would be to turn the expressway southwest before reaching South Road, and run parallel to South Road on the western side, negotiating far less steep ground, cross the river where the ground is flat rather than cross the Gorge, and link up with the start of Victor harbo Road. The terrain is easier to negotiate, the route is shorter, and the costly bridge over the Gorge (and across the National Park) will not need to be built. I realise the land west of South Road is also National Park, but due to the existance of South Road, it does not have the wilderness feel of the Gorge, or the stunning topography which will be disrupted unnecessarily.
Why is it needed at all? South Road at that point is a dual carriage roadway. Just need to isolate or spaghettify the intersections along the way to Victor Habour Road and then duplicate Victor Harbour Road there onward.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.