Anzac Highway Vision

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
potsandpans
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Anzac Highway Vision

#1 Post by potsandpans » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:37 pm

This is by no means a priority in terms of development in the state, but I've always envisioned Anzac Highway as a residential/social/tourist strip, from the city to Glenelg. I picture mid-rise (even some high-rise) apartments and hotels, maybe some offices as well, along the whole of Anzac Hwy, with restaurants, cafes, bars, clubs, pubs, retail shops at the base of these buildings. It would be like Brisbane's Southbank (minus the river), a bustling, vibrant strip. Eventually a tram line could be built along Anzac Hwy, from the city to Glenelg, to cater for residents and tourists wanting to travel to either location. I can't imagine anything like this happening soon, but I've always thought it would be a good idea.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Anzac Highway Vision

#2 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:31 pm

The only problem I see with your vision is that having a tram line duplicated to Glenelg seems a bit... duplicate...ey.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

potsandpans
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3 Post by potsandpans » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:27 pm

I fully see that haha But in 20-30 years, Glenelg's population may have grown dramatically and also with the vision I posted about, there may enough demand for another tram line to Glenelg

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by mshagg » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:46 pm

I love the idea of the road becoming a prominent boulevard, but what you describe sounds a bit like St Kilda road, which is almost universally disliked by melbournians. Im not exactly sure why, presumably because the density creates problems on such an arterial route.

We kind of experimented with the concept along fullarton and greenhill roads, the latter being a 'sister' of sorts to Anzac highway, and i think the negatives far outweighed any perceived benefits - at best it's a sterile commercial precinct with little to attract tenants out of the city. The only redeeming feature seems to be free car parking, which is not something I think we need to promote. I know I'd be pretty upset if my employer decided to move there. It's hard to see how you could ever achieve any true sense of activation along a highway such as anzac...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by monotonehell » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:29 pm

Afterthought: Even with a tram, it's a very car-centric idea. Being extra-linear means everything is far away from everything else.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.