Extending the Riverbank and moving railtracks underground

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
kaska
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Extending the Riverbank and moving railtracks underground

#1 Post by kaska » Mon May 11, 2020 2:04 pm

Hi all,

New to the forum but old time passionate about Adelaide and development.

I think there is great potential to use a prime space that right now is occupied by train tracks. If you look at the image below, the area painted in red is the area that could be developed, including a whole new waterfront area that could attract a lot of business, tourism and investment.

It wouldn't be cheap initially because moving all those rail tracks underground would cost in the order of billions, but if you think about all the taxes that would be collected from all the businesses, commercial buildings and apartments that would be developed on top, recovering the investment, and making huge profits, wouldn't be hard and wouldn't take too long.

At the same time Adelaide would extend one of it's most precious spaces, the Riverbank. Opportunities are huge if the right investment and ideas align.

Cheers!
image008.png

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Extending the Riverbank and moving railtracks underground

#2 Post by Norman » Mon May 11, 2020 7:56 pm

Hey there, and welcome!

There is far too much undeveloped land in the existing square of Adelaide that we can already build on, rather than giving out leases on public land. Business and investment is built on profit and returns on investment, and the profit margins here would be much smaller than building in the existing CBD, where they can actually buy and own the land.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Tue May 12, 2020 12:50 am

Welcome to the forum! This has been discussed on this forum before and it's something that I think will happen eventually. Usually, this idea is combined with a CBD rail tunnel to connect Gawler/Outer Harbor/Grange with Seaford/Tonsley/Belair lines without terminating. The government has discussed this idea in the past with various suggestions on how to do it.

There's probably hesitation to build over the tracks at the moment because that might disrupt future plans to build a CBD rail tunnel.

kaska
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4 Post by kaska » Tue May 12, 2020 10:13 am

Yes, I have seen the rail tunnel posts, I love that idea. I see what you mean about the hesitation, once you develop that area would be near impossible to change it.