New Madrid Style Food Market on East End

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
kaska
Sen-Rookie-Sational

New Madrid Style Food Market on East End

#1 Post by kaska » Wed May 13, 2020 3:29 pm

Seeing how the Central Market is such a success and how crowded it usually gets, how about we create a new one in the East End?

If you have ever been to Madrid I am sure you went to the Mercado de San Miguel. We could build something like that, with smallish stalls and great food and drinks. I know they are planning to redevelop the Central Market but I still think there will not be a shortage of demand for good market and culinary experiences.

https://mercadodesanmiguel.es/

In terms of where we could place it, how about we move out of the city the ElectraNet headquarters and all the electrical installations they have there, and keeping the original building we add to it to make it into an awesome mix of old and new architecture and build the East End Market
Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 3.22.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 3.23.18 PM.png

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: New Madrid Style Food Market on East End

#2 Post by SRW » Wed May 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Best to focus on improving the Central Market, I would think. Part of its success is because it's so crowded; diluting that with another market could have adverse effects. There's a reason the original East End Produce Market ended. Plus, the redevelopment of the Arcade provides a perfect opportunity to improve amenity.

Also, you can't just move an electricity interchange. It'd be nice for this part of East Tce to be more lively, though. Perhaps Tandanya can be revamped (or repurposed if consildated into the proposed Aboriginal culture centre).
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Nort » Thu May 14, 2020 9:46 am

SRW wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:39 pm
Best to focus on improving the Central Market, I would think. Part of its success is because it's so crowded; diluting that with another market could have adverse effects. There's a reason the original East End Produce Market ended. Plus, the redevelopment of the Arcade provides a perfect opportunity to improve amenity.

Also, you can't just move an electricity interchange. It'd be nice for this part of East Tce to be more lively, though. Perhaps Tandanya can be revamped (or repurposed if consildated into the proposed Aboriginal culture centre).
Agreed, the Central Markets aren't that far away, and with the upcoming redevelopment many of the aims of this idea would be largely redundant.

Neko Neko Peko Peko
Gold-Member ;)

#4 Post by Neko Neko Peko Peko » Thu May 14, 2020 11:33 pm

Not to forget Ebeneezer Place is very nearby your proposed site which I've seen used as temporary market space and works quite well.

I certainly wouldn't be against a conversion of an old building into a market/retail walk through in the east end, but it would need to stand on its own and not try to compete or take away from the central markets.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5 Post by rev » Fri May 15, 2020 5:49 pm

I still think we should have a wider world cuisine precinct broken up into regions or something all lined up next to each other.
An area in Sydney was last month renamed Little Athens, all be it not really the same as what I'm talking about, but why not have a Little Greece, a Little Italy, a Little Vietnam, etc along side Chinatown? You know the main ethnic groups that migrated here and built this state & city.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Fri May 15, 2020 6:41 pm

This is a really interesting idea, if not at Electranet, there are other buildings that could be re-purposed. I think if it was a late night food venue, it would be a great addition to the East End. Central Market could be the main market during the day and East End the main market in the evening.