Create a Weekend Flower and Plants Market in the CBD

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
kaska
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Create a Weekend Flower and Plants Market in the CBD

#1 Post by kaska » Thu May 21, 2020 4:52 pm

If you have ever been to Taipei you probably heard of the 'Jian Guo Weekend Flower Market', it's a plants and flowers market that only works on the weekends, bringing in a lot of plant and flower producers to sell their products. Among the sellers you can also find people who sell pottery and other related products, such as seeds, soil, cacti, trees.

The market is really popular and gets packed every single time.

Not sure where you could organize such an event in the CBD, maybe somewhere in the Parklands, somehow connected to the rest of the weekend attractions in the CBD. These could contribute as one of the city attractions.

It is of course an idea to launch after the pandemic, but good to keep in mind.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Create a Weekend Flower and Plants Market in the CBD

#2 Post by SRW » Thu May 21, 2020 10:45 pm

kaska wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:52 pm
If you have ever been to Taipei you probably heard of the 'Jian Guo Weekend Flower Market', it's a plants and flowers market that only works on the weekends, bringing in a lot of plant and flower producers to sell their products. Among the sellers you can also find people who sell pottery and other related products, such as seeds, soil, cacti, trees.

Not sure where you could organize such an event in the CBD, maybe somewhere in the Parklands, somehow connected to the rest of the weekend attractions in the CBD. These could contribute as one of the city attractions.

The incorporation of plants could make this work, given the indoor craze is yet to abate.

I like the idea of more events in the parklands to attract visitation. I've often wondered whether they could annually host something like Floriade, or on a different track, Sculpture in the Park (à la 'by the Sea').
Keep Adelaide Weird

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Thu May 21, 2020 11:48 pm

Plant4Bowden has organised similar things in the past.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by ml69 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:20 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:45 pm
kaska wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:52 pm

The incorporation of plants could make this work, given the indoor craze is yet to abate.

I like the idea of more events in the parklands to attract visitation. I've often wondered whether they could annually host something like Floriade, or on a different track, Sculpture in the Park (à la 'by the Sea').
I have also thought we should do a similar springtime floral and sculpture festival to beef up our springtime event offering and celebrate spring! Combined around the time of the OzAsia festival, moon lantern festival and Labour Day long weekend, with nighttime street markets in the CBD, perhaps with Rundle St hub and a Gouger St/Vic Square hub.

I’d also shift the Northern Lights from Mad March to the October school holiday time and make a Vivid-style festival out of it. With kids on holidays and people wanting to get out and about to enjoy the pleasant spring weather, it could prove to be really popular and a great way to celebrate the changing of the seasons.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Nort » Wed May 27, 2020 12:20 pm

I think Rymill Park would be a great spot. The current plans call for more event spaces there as it is.

During February and March that area is a hive of activity, we should try and stretch that across the year, with the ultimate goal being that on any weekend of the year you can head to East Terrace and know there will be something interesting going on.